Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captainsmooth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Defendant opposition of motion seeking a default judgement
    Need effective resons to oppose a default judgement where the plaintiff claims no response. I claim inproper service and i answered late
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by captainsmooth View Post
    NEED EFFECTIVE RESONS TO OPPOSE A DEFAULT JUDGEMENT WHERE THE pLAINTIFF CLAIMS NO RESPONCE. I CLAIM INPROPER SERVICE AND i ANSWERED LATE

I don't know what you mean by effective reasons - you claim faulty, improper, insufficient service of the papers. You move to get it set aside on those grounds, nothng else. Did your answer include objection due to problems with service?

The creditor may or may not oppose. One way or the other you will undoubtedly be properly served in the Courtroom and then if the creditor has no grounds you make your argument then.

What was improper about the service?

Dec 6, 2008, 12:43 PM
    SUPREME COURT NY, NY case - A former partner is suing me and the LLC's that I managed. I am responding pro-se for me personally. There is no case but I need to responded to the request for a default motion because I have not responded in a timely manner.

I received instructions from the court on how to answer a motion and have typed the AFFIDAVIT OF OPPOSITION but needed some more guidance proper oppositions. What exhibits should I include? The answer and the affidavit of service? Additionally in the back of the court (office of the self represented) there is a blue page/form with a "notice of entry" and a "notice of settlement" section... do I do anything with this.

I will have a friend mail the AFFIDAVIT OF OPPOSITION to the Plaintiff and his attorney and bring the originals into court on the 12th? Do I send the affidavit of service to the plaintiff and attorney? If so, ho is it notarized before its mailed or after?

I was never served, the summons and complaint was left at the former office which has been reoccupied by a new company. I was informed of the papers by the receptionist of the new firm that occupies the office now.

My answer did answer include an objection due to problems with service.

Thank you very much for your help and response... any other questions that may be helpful to you?

Dec 6, 2008, 12:57 PM

XXXXX XXXXXXXX, being duly sworn, deposes and says:

1. I am the Defendant in this matter. I make this affidavit in opposition to the motion or petition by XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX seeking a Default Judgment.

2. I believe the Court should deny the motion or petition because:

A. A verified answer was filed by the Defendant on XXXXXXX XX 2008 with the Court and served upon the Plaintiff and the Plaintiff's attorney (see exhibit A).

B. Within the original operating or the promissory note, the Defendant was never personally liable for any loan prepayment nor provided any personally guarantees.

C. Plaintiff's service is faulty, improper, insufficient and contrary to the service provisions of the CPLR because it was purportedly addressed directly the Defendants former place of business.

The fact that MR. XXXXXXX is responding to this motion in no way constitutes a waiver of the arguments raised in the recently-filed Answer that Mr. XXXXX was not timely or properly served and should be dismissed from this litigation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right To File A Motion To Vacate Default Judgement [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, I need to know if I still have time to file a "Motion to vacate default judgement". In the first judgment I received it said I did not show up after being notified. I never received notice and did not sign any certified mail. The first date is 9/10/2007. I received a Final Judgment...

Motion for Opposition [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida, seminole county, with all the foreclosures going on, we got stuck in the midle of all this not being our fault. I currently have a private attorney handling this matter, but I am convinced that he did not file our discovery. After meeting with him, he states he did file the...

Awarded default judgement, defendant does not respond [ 3 Answers ]

I received a default judgement because the defendant did not appear at court on Jan 30, 2008. I've filed the paper works, sent certified mail to have it returned to me and the courts. I have the feeling, she's seeing the notices and not accepting the letters. By digging on the internet I've...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search