Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skyhawkhoge Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Tapping/ Popping sound in wall
    I keep hearing a tapping/ popping sound in my bedroom exterior wall or ceiling. There is no plumbing there but there is electrical wires. I have had problems with rodents (rats/squirrels) in the past. Could there be some sort of arcing from them chewing through insulation on the wires?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 11:08 AM

Is this during temperature changes?

Maybe more so during the mid morning and late evenings?

If so, it might just be the building expanding and contracting with those changes in temps.

What is the exterior of your home made of?
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

Hi Sky,

Rodents will eat wire coating. If it a sound that you hear all the time. Check by shutting off power to the house or just that room.
    If the sound stop you mostly have electric problem which could lead to a fire.

If not you, you have arodents problem again, squirrels will chew anything to get inside a warmer attic.

Hope this helps.
    Gerry
    skyhawkhoge Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 11:35 AM

I do notice at night while trying to sleep and in the mornings when I awake. It seems like its in the same place and is pretty steady. Exterior is brick and vinyl siding.

Good tip on turning off the power. Definitely afraid of fire, though that could solve lots of problems with my "money pit"
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawkhoge View Post
    I do notice at night while trying to sleep and in the mornings when I awake. It seems like its in the same place and is pretty steady. Exterior is brick and vinyl siding.

Good tip on turning off the power. Definitely afraid of fire, though that could solve lots of problems with my "money pit"
    Hi Sky,

In Canada the code for wiring is hot set of wires to the light and a set of wires to the switch. Neutral to light (white), green grounded, Hot (black) jointed with white to switch,
    Black from the switch back to light.
    I believe it's the same in the US.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Are you sure it is in the wall? With vinyl siding temperature causes it to expand and contract. That is why when you install siding you don't drive the nails all the way home and why they have nail slots not just holes.

It sounds like since you said you hear it at night (as the temperature cools) and in the morning (as it gets warmer) that whoever put the siding on drove the nails too deep and they are popping as the siding expands and contracts.

Although running through the electrical test that was suggested earlier is probably still a good idea as it could eliminate one possibility.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    tinncer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
    There have been clicking, and tapping noises from the walls... it sometimes goes from wall to wall.. maybe when your concentrating on something or another... it's been audible for so many years.. there seemed to be the right about to do about it... mostly hear it during certain hours... as it displays characteristics almost to produce what the results aren't what qualifies for the out. Is there something out there to do about it? It hasn't stopped... but there isn't a question to be answered... where are the clicking noises coming from... where is it going, whom is going to hear it , if it isn't him... what advice to you have for me..?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tub makes Loud Popping sound after use [ 2 Answers ]

We have a new home, one year old, and every night after we have given the kids a bath, and have emptied the water, the tub makes a very loud popping sound. This popping happens several times every night and it can continue for up to 8 hrs after the bath. Please advise.

Popping mainly in wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I seem to hear popping in the walls on one side of my house and I think when it does it most often is when wind is blowing towards its direction. I might sometimes hear an occasional popping in the celing too, but is is mainly in the wall and it will come in spurts of like 5 or 6 pops in a row...

Unwanted popping sound gas log fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All My gas log fireplace has automatic thermostat and usually the flame comes on and off quietly. The past few days however, it makes a loud popping sound each time the flame goes off. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ruby

Samsung french door fridge making tapping sound [ 2 Answers ]

We have a brand new Samsung french door fridge. It makes a knocking/tapping noise occasionally. Seems like the sounds is coming from the body and not from anything mechanical. It almost sounds as if it is settling. Has anyone else ever heard this noise and it is something to be concerned about....

Dry wall screws popping out [ 6 Answers ]

I am only 2 months into a newly built home and the screws that were used for the drywall appear to be popping out in several places. I have seen an earlier post about nails and the reply suggested screws, but these screws are coming out too! Is this normal for a house only 2 months old? What do I...

View more questions Search