Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 01:29 AM
    Lump on back of baby's head
    My daughter is almost 10 months old. She has a cold--stuffy nose, slight cough.. etc.etc. your basic stuff. I noticed that she has a lump on the back of her head. Smack in the middle, just above the neck (but on the head not neck) smaller than the size of a pea. It feels like a swollen lymph node, but can you get a swollen lymph node on your head?? I called my nurse advice line and she didn't have an answer for me. It's Friday and so I won't be able to get her to her doc. Until Monday... please advise.

Thank you,

Worried mom
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Unless you feel its really worrying your or disturbing your child then wait it could possibly be a bite.
    On the other hand if you are really disturbed by this then go to your ER or A&E as its called here they only get one chance at life and as the mother its your call follow your instincts.
    DrMommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 04:04 PM
    ggmom:
    I came across a lump on my daughter too. From the sound of it they are identical except my daughters is to the left. It is smaller than a pea and hard and elongated like a grain of rice. It doesn't seem to cause her pain. It's not on her neck, rather right above it on her skull (almost) it's hard to explain it's right where her neck meets her head right at her hair line. Of course babies hair lines are higher up. I plan on asking her doctor about it first thing tomorrow. I didn't know there were glands that high or that are that shape. But then again I'm not sure. I thought it was very unusual though and started looking online when I came across your post. Hopefully the doctor will be able to tell me more tomorrow.
    carmes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 02:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmom
    My daughter is almost 10 months old. She has a cold--stuffy nose, slight cough..etc.etc. your basic stuff. I noticed that she has a lump on the back of her head. Smack in the middle, just above the neck (but on the head not neck) smaller than the size of a pea. It feels like a swollen lymph node, but can you get a swollen lymph node on your head??? I called my nurse advice line and she didn't have an answer for me. It's friday and so I won't be able to get her to her doc. until monday... please advise.

Thank you,

worried mom
    My daughter wikk be a month this week, and a couple of days ago she developed a rash all over her body likr little tiny pimples bot smaller almost like very rough skin, I thought this was aheat rash and she seemed fine so I thought id wait it out, a day later she got very bad diarreah ans a small fever, this has gone on for two days without the fever and the diarreah seems to be subsiding now, however I too found two small lumps on the back of her head they almost seem movablem I am very worried and am thinking all sorts of things like cancer etc, I'm not sure if I should take her to emergency or not she is sleepimng tight now and seems okay bit a tad fussy, if you get info could you please let me know, thank u
    carmes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 02:15 AM
    Congenital Torticollis
    Provided by:
    Last Updated: August 27, 2004
    Topic Overview
    What is congenital torticollis?
    Torticollis, also known as "wryneck," is a condition in which your baby's head is tilted. The chin points to one shoulder, while the head tilts toward the opposite shoulder. Treatment is necessary to prevent your baby's face and skull from growing unevenly and to prevent limited motion of the head and neck.

"Congenital" means a condition that is present at birth. Congenital torticollis occurs at or shortly after birth.

See an illustration of congenital torticollis.

What causes congenital torticollis?
    Congenital torticollis occurs when the neck muscle that runs up and toward the back of your baby's neck (sternocleidomastoid muscle) is shortened. This brings your baby's head down and to one side. This is known as congenital muscular torticollis.

Experts don't know what causes the shortened neck muscle. Some experts believe that the muscle may sometimes be stretched or torn during the baby's birth. The tear causes bleeding and swelling, and scar tissue replaces some of the muscle, making it shorter.

Some cases of congenital torticollis are caused by a bone problem in the neck portion of the spine (cervical spine). This is known as a congenital malformation of the cervical spine.

Torticollis may also occur later in life; however, this is not congenital torticollis.

What are the symptoms?
    Your baby's head is tilted to one side. The chin points to one shoulder, while the head tilts toward the opposite shoulder. Usually, the head tilts to the right and the chin points left, meaning the muscle on the right side is affected. You may notice that your baby cannot move his or her head as well as other babies. You may also notice a lump in your baby's neck muscle.

How is congenital torticollis diagnosed?
    The caregiver usually first notices that the infant always holds his or her head tilted to one side. It is important to see your health professional for an examination, because other conditions may also cause this head position.

Your health professional will examine your baby and may ask you questions about your baby's birth. He or she may want an X-ray of the cervical spine to rule out bone problems.

Your health professional may also check your baby's hips. An abnormal development of the hip (hip dysplasia) is present in 1 out of 5 infants with congenital torticollis. 1

How is it treated?
    Congenital torticollis is treated through exercises that stretch your baby's neck. Your health professional or a physical therapist will teach you how to do them with your baby, and then you will stretch your baby's neck on your own several times a day.

You can also play with your baby in ways that stretch the neck. Placing toys and other objects in positions where your baby has to turn his or her head to see them helps stretch the muscle.

If your baby does not improve after 2 to 3 months of stretching, contact your health professional. There may be another problem, or surgery may be necessary to stretch or lengthen the neck muscle.

The lump in the muscle usually goes away on its own.

If the congenital torticollis is not caused by a shortened neck muscle but by a cervical spine abnormality, the spine abnormality is sometimes treatable.

Author: Paul Lehnert
    tarea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I just read these posts about a lump on babies heads, cause I have noticed a similar one on my 8 week old... I noticed a week ago, and today I asked the public health nurse and she said it felt like a sist... then I got home and noticed she had one mid back, to the left of her spine, I am freakin out, I am so worried! I was wondering if anyone got answers from there doctors?? please let me know
    ket1220 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
    I found this online: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_bump_on_the_lower_back_of_a_baby's_head_norma l

Not sure what the accuracy is, but it says:
    My baby had two lumps on the bottom back of her head where the glands are back there and when I took her to the doctor he said that when the babies have cradle cap that the glands swell at the back of the head.

It could also just be a little bump to the head. My two month old developed a squishy lump on the back of his head. I took him to the doctors and they weren't sure what it was. We had a CT scan and it proved to be similar to what baby's have when they are born. They said he probably bumped his head on something. I would call the doctor to check, but it's probably nothing.
    karlatorres Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 10:23 PM
    I think that all of us have the same question, my month old baby boy has two lumps on the lower back of his skull and to be honest rigth now I'm really scared, I will call tomorrow morning to his pediatrician, he seems OK, he eats, sleeps OK. Please if someone know something about it share your information.
    benfer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karlatorres View Post
    I think that all of us have the same question, my month old baby boy has two lumps on the lower back of his skull and to be honest rigth now I'm really scared, I will call tomorrow morning to his pediatrician, he seems ok, he eats, sleeps ok. Please if someone know something about it share your information.
    I just picked up my 3 month old baby and he has a smal bump on that back of his head I'm going to call the docter in the moring to see what's going on my so scared a freak out and worreid all at the same time if you guys have any answers plase let me know!
    ket1220 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 12:06 PM
    I did take my daughter to the pediatrician, and the doctor did say that often you see that with children with cradle cap or some other thing they are fighting. There are glands back there. My daughter's went away, and now she's a busy little 16-month-old!
    It's probably nothing to worry about, but definitely check with your doctor to make sure.
    outjie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tarea View Post
    I just read these posts about a lump on babies heads, cause i have noticed a similar one on my 8 week old... i noticed a week ago, and today i asked the public health nurse and she said it felt like a sist.... then i got home and noticed she had one mid back, to the left of her spine, i am freakin out, i am so worried! i was wondering if anyone got answers from there doctors????please let me know
    Hi I don't think you have to worry, the lump (swollen gland) usually happens when there is an infection, runny nose or just a small sore, misquito bite etc. I was also worried but before I went to the doctor I phoned my dad who is also a doctor and he said I needn't worry but just to watch if it gets any bigger or if it is painfull.
    tozivashe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 01:37 PM
    My nephew is 7months and his head seems to be titilted to the right am so worried and lately we just discovered that he can not manage to suckle from a milk bottle hence we are now resorting to feeding him with a spoon could he have weak jaw muscles though he was managing suckling from the breast
    lavander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 09:22 PM
    My 20 months baby girl bumped her head some where.then after a day we noticed right under the injured part still on head but almost on neck toward ear she developed a lump size of a pea,is there any advice?I'm dead to know what's wrong.and as usual every thing happens on weekend.please help.
    123west Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
    My baby is not born yet the doctor told me to come tommow they told me that the is something on the back of her head I'm asking you what is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Lump on my head [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, I found a lump on the right side of my head on the top of my skull. Its not even with the other side of my head because there's no other lump on the other side. It doesn't hurt when I put pressure on it. Its just hard. I don't get headaches or feel any other kind of pain. ...

Lump on back of head [ 4 Answers ]

I am 14 years old. Recently, lots of my lymph nodes have swollen up. This was about a week ago. Now, a lump has appeared, as if from nowhere on the back of my head. The lump is hard and non-moveable. It is not painful if left alone but when pressure is applied it can be felt. Is this connected to...

Baby's gender [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and curious if it is a boy or a girl

View more questions Search