Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsjeff829 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Testing my gas valve.
    How do I check if the gas valve on my furnace is not working properly. Is there a voltage test I can do on it, and if so, what leads do I put my meter on.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 04:50 PM
    On most units 24 volts should be supplied to the gas valve when it is supposed to be open.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

How many wires are connected to your gas valve? If only two wires are connected at valve, then you need to put tester leads to these two wires(one lead to one wire and the other lead to the other wire. Should get 24v sometime or another.(when furnace is calling for heat. Need to know things like... is it standing pilot, spark or hot surface ignition, 80 or 90 percent eff. Then we can tell you when you should be getting voltage at gas valve.

Can you tell us what brand furnace you have. How old is it. The more details you can give, the better we can help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 06:09 PM

I think everyone is missing the point here. Pilot, stage 1 and stage 2 are all possible gas valve states.

If we assume pilot is OK and you have a single stage valve then at least 2 wires should have 24 VAC on them when the gas is supposed to be on. If it does and the gas doesn't turn on, then remove the wires and use the ohms function and test the coil for continuity.

If the tests above are OK, the valve can still be bad mechanically. There may not be enough gas pressure either.

Wiring diagrams help a lot.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 3, 2008, 06:18 PM

If you are getting correct voltage to the coil and the valve will not open you can try tapping on the valve housing. Sometimes these things will stick.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 06:53 PM

Get the point. If you get 24v at valve while pilot is lit, or spark is sparking, or glow plug is glowing, then bad valve. If no voltage at valve ever, we need to look elsewere for problems.

Kiss, ohming the valve is a great place to start , not matter what the problem.

Mark, if indeed 24v at valve, and no gas flow, tapping is also a great recommendation. However if tapping the valve causes gas to flow, time to replace valve.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 3, 2008, 07:06 PM

Yes and no. I have seen them free up and then get stuck all over again and I have seen them free up and run just fine for years.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 07:21 PM

I agree. I have seen this also. But I have also learned that when it comes to gas valves, if it failed once, its best to replace, if for no other reason than liability... In theory, a gas valve that sticks shut, could very well stick open.( although I've never found a valve to get stuck fully open, I have found valves that get stuck partially open)
    chate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
    5 wire

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 valve shut off hot water tank valve [ 9 Answers ]

I was just trying to get some Pro's thoughts on, why there would be a shut off valve on the hot line going out of my hot water tank, and no valve on the cold coming in? Is there a reason for this? Is it OK to add a valve on the cold,so I can isolate the tank, by shuting both valves , and would...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

Water Pressure Valve and Ball Valve [ 1 Answers ]

My plumber told me my water pressure is too high and is ruining my fixtures. Apparently my house is old and does not have these. Is installing these valves something I can do myself? The plumber wants to charge me $500.00. If so, where can I get directions? Help.

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

View more questions Search