Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mflores Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 11:04 AM
    What age can kids choose what parent to live with?
    HI. I have 2 step kids who live with their mother in the state of NJ. The kids lived with my boyfriend and I for 1 yr in FL. There was no custody trail and their mother wanted the kids back in NJ. To prevent a bad custody trail, we sent the kids back. Their mother promised them a nice apt in a safe area, a good school, and promised she would enroll them in sports and after school activities. As soon as they arrived in NJ the kids saw that it was all a lie to persuade the kids to WANT to move back with her. She moved into a dangerous area and had the kids walking school and coming home after school on their own. These kids are 12 and 7. She would leave them alone until late at night while she went out and partiied. I called NJ Child Services and a report was filed. She was obligated to put them in an afterschool program with transportation and ordered NEVER to leave the kids alone. The kids call us daily crying saying they want to move back with us because their mom comes home drunk and yells at them and never spends time with them. We wouldlove nothing more than to get the kids back. What age can a child choose what parent they want to live with and what steps should we take in getting custody? At the moment he has summertime custody and he is paying child support. He also pays the afterschoolprogram for one of the kids. Even in the summertime when the kids are in FL he sends the support.
    AR23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2008, 11:18 AM

I don't know a lot about this stuff myself, but I do know that the judge would be on your saide. The 12 yr. old would have input in the case because eof the age, but if she is doing that to the kids, then they would be able to move back... easily, and she wouldn't be able to do a thing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mflores View Post
    HI. I have 2 step kids who live iwth their mother in the state of NJ. The kids lived with my boyfriend and I for 1 yr in FL. There was no custody trail and their mother wanted the kids back in NJ. To prevent a bad custody trail, we sent the kids back. Their mother promised them a nice apt in a safe area, a good school, and promised she would enroll them in sports and after school activities. As soon as they arrived in NJ the kids saw that it was all a lie to persuade the kids to WANT to move back with her. She moved into a dangerous area and had the kids walking school and coming home after school on their own. These kids are 12 and 7. She would leave them alone untill late at night while she went out and partiied. I called NJ Child Services and a report was filed. She was obligated to put them in an afterschool program with transportation and ordered NEVER to leave the kids alone. The kids call us daily crying saying they want to move back with us because their mom comes home drunk and yells at them and never spends time with them. We wouldlove nothing more than to get the kids back. What age can a child choose what parent they want to live with and what steps should we take in getting custody?? At the moment he has summertime custody and he is paying child support. He also pays the afterschoolprogram for one of the kids. Even in the summertime when the kids are in FL he sends the support.

If the mother is unfit, that's the way to go - go to Court and prove that she is unfit and has put them at risk. The Court will provide a social worker/legal guardian to interview the children but at their ages they are too young to pick which parent they want to live with.

If they are in danger this should be done very quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can children choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can children in Georgia choose which parent they want to live with

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Can I choose what parent I want to live with at the age of 15 in clovis New Mexico [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I'm 15 years old and I live with my dad and I absolutely hate it... well over the last couple of months I found out that my dad don't have full custody... him and my mom have joint custody... and all my friends are telling me that I am old enough to choose who I want to live with and the...

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search