Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsjeff829 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Burner keeps kicking on and off
    Gas furnace, 80% effiency. Not sure of the name brand. When furnace is running for a little while, the burners will kick off while the blower motor keeps running. After a short time the burners kick back on. This cycle repeats itself until the temperature at the t-stat is reached. Is it possible for fan limit switch to be bad?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Yes it is possible the fan and limit is bad or the filter could be plugged up are the return air could be blocked or to many registers could be closed off trying to save energy.

Dec 2, 2008, 09:30 AM
    The filter is brand new. How can I check if there is enough return air. I will check if there are any vents that are closed. Thank you for you help.

Dec 2, 2008, 09:36 AM
    how can i check if there is enough return air

If the furnace worked OK before with the return you have now it should be OK now.

Dec 2, 2008, 09:41 AM

It was. It just started doing this on Friday. I will replace the limt switch and go from there. Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Post back with the results.

Dec 2, 2008, 05:27 PM

I changed the fan limit, but to no avail. I should have been smarter, because after I changed it I then realized that the heat exchanger temperature is not even getting very hot before the burners turn off. The flame turns on only for a short time and then turns off. I had to turn the blower motor start temp on the fan limit way down just to get the fan to blow what warm air there is out of the furnace. I'm now leaning to the flame sensor, but if is not the problem, I don't know what to look for after that.

Dec 2, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Cleaning the flame sensor is a good idea. You are running into the typical problems associated with a intermitent situations. The flame sensor if not working properly can cause the unit to cut off.

BUT try this first. In the furnace there is a strip for landing the thermostat wires. Disconnect R and W and put a jumper across R and W. This will eliminate the thermostat and thermostat wiring from the circuit. It could be a thermostat problem that is causing the furnace to short cycle. Use the furnace switch for the power to turn the furnace off and on for testing purposes and naturally turn the switch (power) off while hooking up the jumper. Post back with results.

Dec 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Its not a problem with the flame sensor. It appears to be working properly. Before the burners turn off, the relay on the gas valve clicks a few times and then they go out. How do I check to see if the relay on the gas valve is bad, or is it trial and error. I guess the only other possible thing would be the board. Is there a way to check that>

Dec 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I will need the exact brand of furnace
    I also need the exact model number

Did you do the R and W test above to eliminate the thermostat and wiring.

BUT try this first. In the furnace there is a strip for landing the thermostat wires. Disconnect R and W and put a jumper across R and W. This will eliminate the thermostat and thermostat wiring from the circuit. It could be a thermostat problem that is causing the furnace to short cycle. Use the furnace switch for the power to turn the furnace off and on for testing purposes and naturally turn the switch (power) off while hooking up the jumper.

Dec 3, 2008, 08:05 PM

I did jump the t-stat terminals together, and it did the same thing. The furnace is a trane xl 80. Model # is tud120b96oao Tomorrow I want to check the gas valve out. There are 3 leads that go into the terminals on the valve. I'm just not sure what ones to check for the voltage.

Dec 3, 2008, 09:15 PM
    The last place I would look for trouble is the gas valve.

Dec 5, 2008, 06:52 AM

Changing the board today. I will let you know what happens. The gas valve was getting correct voltagewhen flame was there and showed no voltage when the flames were not present. The flame sensor is clean and working fine. So hopefully this will correct it. If not, I have a big sledge hammer that I intend to take full advantage of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kicking myself [ 7 Answers ]

OK, this is a weird one. I served in the Marines and was deployed to Iraq. Upon returning home I had serious anger management issues. After some time with therapy and drugs I learned to control it. I fell in love with a girl who at first seemed very sweet but strong willed. As time went on she...

Kicking out 18 yer old [ 3 Answers ]

We have had nothing but trouble since she was very small. We adopted her and her brother she was 4 1/2 her brother 3 1/2. She has attachment disorder (my belief), diagnosed with conduct disorder. She has been arrested for property destruction at one residential facility and assault at another. ...

AC condenser not kicking on. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in SW Florida and yeasterday there was a power outage that left us without power for some time. FPL said that there was a main line that was tken down by a tree. We did not immediately turn the AC on after the power came back on (the thermostat was off when power returned). We turned it...

Blower kicking on/off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks, 1st time I've used the internet for asking questions. Have Bryant furnace. Blower is running,but, is stopping and starting, it sounds like "thumping" in the attic, continuously throughout the cycle. Even after the cycle stops it continues to "thump". This happens for both the furnace and...

View more questions Search