Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattpargeter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
    HP Laptop Keyboard Locked
    Hi, my girlfriend has a HP laptop (model number not known) and came back to find her cat sat on it, with the keys unresponsive. The mouse still worked. She restarted the laptop but the keys remained unresponsive (thus unable to enter her password to access the laptop).

1) She's running Vista.
    2) No keyboard shortcuts that we've found work (such as bringing up the on-screen keyboard to use with a mouse)

3) By "Unresponsive" I mean that no keys work when pressed either individually or in combinations.

4) We've placed the cat back on the keys and asked it to type in whatever it typed the first time but this also proved ineffective.

Is there a different start-up mode we could use? Any other suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Regards

Matt (Wearing a new pair of cat-skin slippers)
    silverfire Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
    I would first see if maybe your cat urinated on it. I know cats have a way with claiming objects and it may have wanted that laptop. If not, try going into safe mode (f8/f12) if the keys are still unresponsive then you may have a short in the keys it self, either by the extra heat from the cat or its urine of both. Could be sticky keys? But I highly doubt it configured it to be unresponsive. In any case, replacing the keyboard is not too expensive. Good luck!
    Tablet_4251 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Well I don't know if you are still with this forum but I had the same problem I don't what buttons I hit but my keyboard locked up. And I couldn't use the volume buttons either. I have a HP Pavilion tx2500.. I had to power down the comptuer and took out the battery for a couple minutes... that's the only way. I tried restarting, turning off the laptop... this is the only way I have found.. so hope this helps for next time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP laptop keyboard locked [ 1 Answers ]

Woke up to find that none of the keys on my laptop worked. I solved this by turning off the laptop, unplugging power from both wall and laptop, taking out the battery and then doing everything in reverse - putting battery back in, etc. By some miracle the keyboard worked. The question is: is...

Laptop Keyboard Locked [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell inspirion 1720 laptop keyboard is locked. Anyone know how to unlock it

Laptop keyboard is locked [ 8 Answers ]

How do I unlock the keyboard on dell inspiron 2500?

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

Laptop Keyboard Locked [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Goodmorning, I opened my laptop this morning and the keyboard does not work. I tried typing and nothing happens. Can somebody please help me.

View more questions Search