Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrossBow33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Toilet runs every 2 or 3 hours for 10 seconds
    My toilet turns on for 5 to 10 seconds every few hours. I assume that there's a leak, that the water level recedes, and when it gets low enough, the float allows the water to come back on. I can't find the leak. I turned off the water at the wall, and drained the tank but there wasn't anything obviously loose or not well seated. I'm stuck!
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Nov 28, 2008, 05:19 PM

Put something in the tank that will discolor the water. Food coloring works well. If the color appears in the bowl without flushing the flush valve is leaking.

Have you tried replacing the flush valve and cleaning the surface it seats against? Have you insured the linkage between the flush valve and the handle doesn't have a little tension on it which would lead to it holding the valve open?

Note that the cheapest toilet flush valves at the hardware store or home improvement retailer might be a quality corresponding to their low price. I had one several years ago that was bad when it was brand new. I've found that the extended time between replacements make the more expensive flush valves well worth the added expense.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow33 View Post
    My toilet turns on for 5 to 10 seconds every few hours. I assume that there's a leak, that the water level recedes, and when it gets low enough, the float allows the water to come back on. I can't find the leak. I turned off the water at the wall, and drained the tank but there wasn't anything obviously loose or not well seated. I'm stuck!
    There are several things that can caause this problem The first is a very simple thing to look for, from the main valve in the tank you will have a small 1/4 inch refill tube that runs over to a stand pipe, this stream of water runs in there to refill the bowl after a flush. So here is what you look for, see how far into the 1/4 inch tube goes, it should only be about 1/2 inch and it should always be higher than the level of the water in the tank. So if this is the problem lift the tube up above the water level and secure it someway so that it will stay that way.

Now talking about the level of the water in the tank, after the tank has filled and the water has stopped the level should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch below the refill pipe.

The next thing is the ball that falls into the bottom of the tank to stop the water form running into the tank. Me not knowing what kind you have it is hard for me to tell you exactly what to do but first lift that ball up and feel of the bottom, it should be smooth and you should not get any black on your fingers, if it is rough or makes black, replace it. While you are replacing it feel with you fingers the ring in the bottom of the tank that the ball fits against, make sure it is smooth if not use some steel wool or sand paper an smooth it up, One of these things should solve you problem.
    If you will please click on "Rate this answer" and let me know if it helped.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 05:27 PM

Check the flapper,the piece on the bottom of the bowl,they do fail and then leak slowly.

The fill valve is the part where the water comes in to the tank,they also fail,but,first check to see if you can adjust the water level by adjusting the fill valve float,just the tiniest adjustment might make your problem disappear.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 06:24 PM

Sounds like you have problem with you flapper valve, check the flapper and the seat for any distortion; does it have any waved edges? Do your hands get black? Replace it if it does. And last thing check the seat it self. For any nicks or rough spot?

Also you can check if the flapper valve is leaking place some food coloring in the toilet tank, after an hour or so check if dye showed up in the toilet BOWLS then you will know for sure that the flapper valve is defective and needs to be replaced see the image below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump runs 10 seconds and shuts off [ 6 Answers ]

Pool pump runs 10 seconds shuts off and comes on a few minutes later and the samething runs a few seconds and shuts off? It's a 2 hp sta rite pump nothing clogging the impellar spins freely any ideas thank you

Fan runs but compressor cycles off in 1-2 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I reviewed many posts but didn't see a diagnosis for this issue. I have a split system, forced air gas furnace with ac compressor unit outside. Unit is 5 years old, and outside of warranty. The compressor fan works fine, and cycles on when the thermostat goes to cool. The compressor cycles...

Kenmore 70 series dryer runs for 5 seconds [ 4 Answers ]

I have the Kenmore 70 series dryer. It runs for 5 seconds and then shuts down smelling hot... any ideas... thanks

My lawn mower engine runs for only about 5 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower engine only runs about 5 seconds

Furnace fan only runs for 30 seconds [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace in our home. Recently the furnace gas preheats and the fan comes on but only will run for 30 seconds, when the gas reignites the fan turns off. I changed the filter but that made no difference. I looked at the fuses and while looking discovered the that the hot and common wire...

View more questions Search