Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    netknight Posts: 12, Reputation: -1
    -

Nov 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Mother son and brother sister breeding
    Let me start by saying the I do not want any of this to happen.

While my wife and I were living in phoenix we rescued a Sheppard\rot mix from some aliens who were keeping this 5 week old pup in a closet outside of their apt. they gave her to us... because we had just had our rot stolen the month before... She is our baby.

When we moved to Oregon we breed her with a beautiful Newfoundland/Lab. She had five wonderfully huge pups, we decided to keep two of them and the other three we found wonderful homes through the local humane society, they are all greatly loved.

Now the female we kept has come into her first real heat and now we can't keep her brother off her. (he was too young when his mother came into her last heat.) She gets very angry and snarls at him.

We do not want them to breed together but what will happen if they do. Will nature even let it happen?

Please don't yell at me about getting them fixed. My wife won't let me till they are full grown and the female has had at least one litter. Plus we can’t afford it right now because I was recently laid off and are about to be living out of our 22’ travel trailer.

HELP!
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 28, 2008, 12:01 PM

I'm not an expert, but in my experience, yes, this is a common occurrence when sibling animals are kept in proximity to one another. They can reproduce, and it may turn out all right, though a lot of the offspring will probably not be as bright as what the parents are. It's not as genetically bad as humans doing it, but it's still not a good idea to let it happen. Unfortunately, even if your female doesn't get pregnant this time around, a lot of animals will skip only a couple of weeks and go right back into "heat". This causes a lot of stress on your part trying to keep the brother an sis apart, and or any other male family members.
    About the only good thing that I've ever seen come from animals inbreeding is the offspring, though not quite bright, are a lot of times more loving and loyal than their parents.
    I don't disagree with your wife's reasoning behind not getting the dogs fixed. I agree, especially with the female having one litter before getting her fixed, as it helps the female to tame down a bit. The male, well, he's not going to be effected by producing a litter or not.
    I do feel that "fixing" the dogs asap is your best option, but that is my opinion.
    Again, I am not an expert on this, I am simply stating personal experience.
    Good luck on keeping the dogs apart. I think you'll need it. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 12:29 PM

Yes it can happen, this is how inbred dogs occur and it is why we have so many sickly dogs in our society today.

Why does your wife want your dog to have a litter? You do realize that this jeopardizes her health and the health of her puppy's, right?

This is backyard breeding at it's worst. Any dog can have a litter of pups, but not every dog should. Unless you are a qualified breeder, you should not breed. Millions of dogs are put to sleep every year because of backyard breeding.

I agree, especially with the female having one litter before getting her fixed, as it helps the female to tame down a bit.
    Homebirthmom, this is the worst advice ever, and very inaccurate. In fact, having a female spayed before she comes into her first heat will help prevent cancer and other diseases. Letting her have one litter will not only put her at risk, but it definitely won't help tame her down, that is an old wives tale.

If you cannot afford to care for your pets (have them spayed or neutered) then you should give them to someone who can. This is part of the responsibility of owning a living, breathing, feeling animal.

Do your research, this is the worst possible thing you can do for your dogs.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 01:58 PM

This is insane! I wish people would do their research! Letting a female dog have a first litter before spaying, does the complete opposite of calming them down. Not only as Alty said, does it increase serious health problems, but also decreases their life span! Spaying and neutering makes for better pets. It's been medically proven! The dogs are much better behaved, are easier to socialize, and are easier to train! It is better for them all the way around no matter how you look at it! Inbreeding a brother and sister is plain STUPID! These dogs will suffer health problems, and suffer because of this blatent stupidity!

Here is a video for you to watch! Watch it carefully! Read the whole thread, and then ask you wife to watch and read it all too!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html

I sure hope it sinks in! :(
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 02:22 PM

May I also add, you mentioned that your wife won't LET you get them 'fixed'. You started saying you don't want to do any of this. I know this is going to sound harsh... but grow a couple! Does your wife ALWAYS tell you what to do?

There ARE programs and places where you can go to get monetary help if you can't afford to get your "family members" spayed or neutered! There are caring pet lovers that will help you with the expense, and you can't or won't take advantage of this?

YOU took on the responsibility of these dogs! It is up to YOU to take on that expense! What are you going to do with another litter? You can't even take care of the ones that you have for God sakes! I'm so angry right now I could scream!

Do you know what your loving dogs would do to protect YOU? They DESERVE the same RESPECT!
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 02:29 PM

Starby, I had to spread the rep.

What I really want to know is how some people still think it's a good idea to let a dog have a litter. Where is this misguided information coming from?

This is ridiculous, why are we getting so many backyard breeders on this site? The scary thing is, this is only a small percentage of them, what does this mean for these poor dogs?

It should be a law that unless you are a reputable licensed breeder, you should not be allowed to breed. It should be illegal not to have these animals spayed or neutered. Leave the breeding to the qualified breeders.

I want to scream too, and goodness knows we all have when we read stories like these, but it's not doing any good. This problem keeps growing and growing.

What can we do. We as human beings have to stop this from continuing, but how?

Hopefully the OP will come back and read what we've written, do his research and then get his dogs spayed or neutered asap. I hope he does the right thing, just this once I hope that we get through.

Argh, it's so darn frustrating. :(
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 02:31 PM

I also had to spread the rep you guys...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 02:48 PM

I left something out here, and just had to bring this up too. These are Shepherd/Rottie mixes? Oh yes, lets inbreed these! Good idea! We should have let Lizzie Borden and Charles Manson mate too!

Before I hear from owners of Sheperds and Rotties, I am not against either of these breeds, when trained by an experienced and informed handler, in a loving home. But throw inbreeding in the mix of an already aggressive and powerful breed, and that is a recipe for disaster, along with the inherant health problems of the two breeds.

My heart aches for these sweet animals!
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 02:51 PM

My heart aches for these sweet animals!
    I'm with you Starby. This is heartbreaking, especially because there's nothing we can do, it's up to the people that own these dogs to do the right thing.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    May I also add, you mentioned that your wife won't LET you get them 'fixed'. You started off saying you don't want to do any of this. I know this is going to sound harsh...but grow a couple!! Does your wife ALWAYS tell you what to do?

There ARE programs and places where you can go to get monetary help if you can't afford to get your "family members" spayed or neutered! There are caring pet lovers that will help you with the expense, and you can't or won't take advantage of this?

YOU took on the responsibility of these dogs! It is up to YOU to take on that expense! What are you going to do with another litter? You can't even take care of the ones that you have for God sakes! I'm so angry right now I could scream!

Do you know what your loving dogs would do to protect YOU?? They DESERVE the same RESPECT!!
    I had to spread the rep or I would have agreed for a balancer.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I'm with you Starby. This is heartbreaking, especially because there's nothing we can do, it's up to the people that own these dogs to do the right thing.
    Well this lovely man just gave me a reddie, and said ****U! I can see the type of person we are dealing with here!
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I think we were posting at the same time there. Lol
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 02:58 PM

I've already reported him. Don't worry about it! ;)
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 02:59 PM

NetKnight, you certainly have a mouth on you, so why don't you use it to talk to us instead of giving reddies and lipping people off.

If you think that what you are doing is right, then tell us why. Show me the evidence that this is a good idea. If you can show me that reputable vets and breeders think that your dogs should be bred, then I'll apologize and move on. Until then, I'll stick with the vast evidence that I have, and that evidence shows that what you are doing is borderline abuse of these animals.

Please, think about this. Yes we are being harsh, because for some reason there has been an influx of posts like yours this week. It's frustrating to see so many people doing this and not be able to put a stop to it.

What do you recommend we do to show people like you that this is a bad idea, the worst idea possible?

Come and talk to us, because I really hope that what we have to say gets through to you, for your dogs sake.
    netknight Posts: 12, Reputation: -1
    -

Nov 28, 2008, 03:01 PM

There is no need for these personal attacks... Some people have different views and the narrow minded responses given on this forum have showed me that all but a few on here are not worth my time, as for me growing a pair you can take yours and put them where the sun doesn't shine. As for one breed being more violent than others... this is sometimes true, but in more cases than not you must look at the individual and its upbringing. Saying what you said is like saying all black people are criminals or all Germans are Nazi. Or all nomnies are bad…
    Peace…. Out….
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 03:09 PM

That just shows how ill informed you are! For one thing, I don't have any to put where the sun doesn't shine, and for another thing, this has nothing to do with Black people being criminals, or Germans being Nazi's! I don't think you know who the heck you are talking to here buddy! I'm not sure about one person that has responded so far, but 2 of us happen to be German my dear, and I for one, and I'm sure Alty will join me in saying that I greatly offended by that! Your ignorance is showing again!

You are rude, your words are abusive, and you are ignorant of the cross breeding, and inbreeding, and what you are doing to innocent animals. Shame on you!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
    >Thread Closed<
    As OP is getting abusive in their rep comments.
    Activity of this nature will NOT be tolerated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by netknight View Post
    There is no need for these personal attacks... Some people have different views and the narrow minded responses given on this forum have showed me that all but a few on here are not worth my time, as for me growing a pair you can take yours and put them where the sun doesn't shine. As for one breed being more violent than others... this is sometimes true, but in more cases than not you must look at the individual and its upbringing. Saying what you said is like saying all black people are criminals or all Germans are Nazi. Or all nomnies are bad…
    Peace…. Out….
    First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Second, I find it rather hypocritical that you start by saying there is "no need for these personal attacks", while the rest of your post is a personal attack.

While Starbucks' comments where on the harsh side, your reation was way over the top. The comments on your first response were appropriate since it was bad advice from soemone who admitted not being an expert.

I agree with starbucks that if you can't afford to spay your pets, there are services that will help, so that's not a real excuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sister in law left my brother for another man [ 4 Answers ]

She just left my brother last week and took everything he had bought with his own money. They were married for like a year and half, have one child before they married. She is 4 years old and they were off and on before they got married. The reason he didn't try to stop her from taking everything...

Can brother and sister stay in the same room [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have two kids one is 10 1/2 and 7 3/4 I have been looking to rent a place and the prices are so high for a three bedroom a two bedroom is cheaper I work my tail off to make it now staying with friends and family since my husband left I'm mom and dad all in one and its hard. Need to know if...

Brother and Sister sleeping together? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has 4 children, 2 girls 8+6 and 2 boys 5+4. Two of them stay over at the weekend but we would like to have all of them to start staying, is it illegal for them all to stay in the same room in bunk beds, we only have a 2 bedroom place?:confused:

Brother and sister [ 4 Answers ]

Does cats (brother and sister) have kittens with eachather

My sister in law is looking for her brother. [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for ancestors of this person. She went by Eleonore Schlund born 04-03-1939. Not sure of the year of birth. She had a child male born 1954-55 and a female born 05-17-1956. She was adopted and moved to the United States at birth or shortly afterwards. She was given to DeForest Wood and...

View more questions Search