Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwharts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 04:06 AM
    Idle toilets bubble and gurgle but flush fine.
    About 4AM this morning my wife awoke hearing a bubbling/gurgling sound coming from our master bathroom toilet. (no one had been in there.) I went to the other toilet (between it and the street) and found it bubbling also. In a little while, the water level went down, but each flush OK, though the master bath toilet seemed to refill slower (hopefully not related.)

Last year we had someone rotor out the pipes due to a problem, but I am thinking this might be from the street side. Is this possible? How do I start without calling a plumber (first?)

Thanks,
    cwharts
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Hi CWHARTS:

Start by calling the city/town and see if they are working on the sewer main drains in your area.. such as jetting the sewer mains while everyone sleeps.

Possible that you were experiencing a back pressure from the work they are doing. If this is the case, be glad that all that happened is bubbling! I have seen it where the toilets overflowed and made one hell of a mess!

Call the sewer department and see if they are working in your area... if so, should not be issue after they are done. If not, come back and let us know.. ok?

Finally, this is a single family home... YES? Or are there other apartments/condos attached? Let me know...

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 08:26 AM

Was the sound from the toilet bowl or inside the flush tank at the fill valve?
    cwharts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Was the sound from the toilet bowl or inside the flush tank at the fill valve?
    It is a single family one story home. The bubbles were from the bowl. Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Bob... he said this happened at both toilets. Unlikely that both toilets have same issue at 4AM?

Cwharts...Did you call the sewer department?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 04:59 PM

Devil is in the details , right Mark? Yep, call the city, they are likely doing something or should.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Count on you to make me laugh Bob! Thank you for that.

Good night!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilets gurgle from washer and sewer fly infestation [ 2 Answers ]

Over the past few days my toilets started to gurgle when the washer is running. The gurgling tends to suck the standing water out of the bowls. Water also briefly backs up in the both bathtubs. The toilets seem to flush okay but do emit some bubbles upon flushing. It is my understanding from...

Drains bubble and gurgle. [ 1 Answers ]

Each time we try to flush the toilet, it seems to have a hard time flushing. We even changed out toilets because we thought that might be the problem. Whenever we do get the toilet to flush, the bathtub has a bubble/gurgle noise. Nothing comes up, just hear the sound. Same thing happens when...

Tub draining causes toilets to gurgle [ 1 Answers ]

Have a issue with drainage. Live in East Tenn with high clay. This is the problem... family of five. When it's bed time and bath tub is half full, drainage causes both toilets to gurgle. House bought 2 yrs ago built 1978 (had 2 people living in it ) and everything was great until last NOV. when the...

Toilets bubble [ 6 Answers ]

What causes my toilets to bubble when I use the washing machine I checked all of the vents and they were all clean my pipes are cast iron and the house is 40 years old and also the toilets get cloged up and won't flush after they bubble

View more questions Search