Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hairba11 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 09:45 AM
    What wire gauge for 400 amp service, 320 ft run?
    Built a pole barn in the back yard, was going to upgrade the house service and run from there, but thanks to the county I am running separate service.

I have the 3" conduit, I know I need to leave 35' coiled at the bottom of the utility pole, and want to run about 5' inside the barn to get to the main panel.

With a 320' run, and a 400 amp service, what gauge wire should I run?

I'm thinking 0000 aluminum could do it with about a %10 or %11 voltage drop, but I don't know if it will be pushing it on the distance.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I would STRONGLY suggest you get a professional to do this job.

For the looks of your post you would be best served doing this.

4/0AL is not even close to big enough.
    And 10%-11% VD is NOT acceptable for a service!

Nov 24, 2008, 10:03 AM

Why, its just electricity.

And only 240 volts.
    480 is where I start to get concerned. 720 is where I call for help.

The power company is going to install the meter, and hook it to the transformer.

I just have to get appropriately sized wire in 3" conduit, 2' underground.

I have the conduit, I have the trench dug, now I'm just trying to figure out how big I have to go with the wire.

Nov 24, 2008, 10:19 AM

OK, Butler Supply agrees that 4/0 Al will be too light, but they don't know whether 250 or 350 would carry it.

350 may not fit in 3" pipe. Yippie.

Nov 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
    Why, its just electricity.
    :rolleyes:

At least it's not rocket science. Then you'd be in trouble.
    Good luck with your project.

Nov 24, 2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks stanfortyman,

It is just aggravating that nobody will tell you anything because of liability.

I'd rather know how big I need to make the wire than to undersize the wire because nobody would tell me I was wrong.

Nov 24, 2008, 10:51 AM
    What you don't get is that there is WAY more than the wire size that you need to know.

A basic 200A service upgrade is one thing. A 400 amp underground is another thing entirely.
    If you have to ask an internet message board something as basic as what size wire to use what else are you not knowing?.

Nov 24, 2008, 11:18 AM

What I don't know could fill a warehouse.

I called one of my friends who does general contracting, and he is calling the electrician they use, and I'll go from there.

:edit:

Ouch. Got the wire size. I can get it done for $2000 in aluminum, and $3200 in copper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Connecting 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire [ 4 Answers ]

Is it ever acceptable to attach 14 gauge to 12 gauge wire? I have a remodel situation where I have a 20 amp/12 gauge wired circuit powering outlets only. I want to tap off the end-of-run outlet to power an electric-venting skylight. The skylight comes with 14/2 wire. Can I tap off the 20 amp...

Wire gauge [ 19 Answers ]

I need to know the wire gauge to run an above ground water pump. The voltage will be 220 volts. The pump states max. amps 26, and the length of wire run is 70 feet. Thank you. Matt

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

Connecting large gauge aluminum wire to service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel. ...

View more questions Search