Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    correa_heart Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Does a soup diet work?
    I have herd that if you only eat soup you'll loose weight. Is this true? I love soup so that would like make my life if it's true. Please help me out someone
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 23, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Losing weight isn't a mysterious process. It doesn't even have to involve strange diets, special exercises or even the 'magic' of pills or fitness gadgets.

The secret to weight loss: Make small changes every day and you'll slowly (but surely) lose those extra pounds.

To lose one pound, you must burn approximately 3500 calories over and above what you already burn doing daily activities.

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate). Your BMR is what your body needs to maintain normal functions like breathing, digestion, etc.
    2. Calculate your activity level. Use a calorie calculator to figure out how many calories you burn while sitting, standing, exercising, lifting weights, etc. throughout the day.
    3. Keep track of how many calories you eat. (from soup or anything else you like) Use a food journal to add up what you eat and drink during the day. If you're eating fewer calories than you're burning, you'll lose weight.

Focusing on daily changes is the best way to reach your goals. No, you won't lose weight overnight but isn't it better to permanently change your life for the better? Say it with me: My Health Is More Important than My Appearance. Repeat that 10 times a day and you're on your way to better health.
    anamiacyber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 03:03 AM

Today is day 6 of my soup diet. Im not bored yet. I can feel something is different or changing using this diet. I eat cup a soup.
    lthm Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2008, 07:50 PM

It can but you can't just eat any soup any time. The soup diet is no different than any other diet, and the only way to lose weight is still to burn more calories than you intake, so don't do the soup diet under the illusion that somehow liquids don't count as food or that you can go to Olive Garden and have that soup all day! If you want to eat as much soup as you want and still lose weight then vegetable-and-chicken-broth is basically the only soup you can have as it's very low-calorie.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anamiacyber View Post
    Today is day 6 of my soup diet. Im not bored yet. i can feel something is different or changing using this diet. I eat cup a soup.
    "cup a soup" is not real food. You can't possibly be getting what your body needs from it. Those freeze dried bits do not count as your vegetables for the day. The changes you're feeling are probably bloat and high blood pressure from all the sodium you've been taking in.

Make homemade soups. I make all different kinds all winter long. Homemade soups can be great for you, and they're also filling.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Hey correa,

I've seen from your other questions that you've struggled with dropping some weight, but you've also managed to drop about 20-25 lbs, which is awesome... now you're at a plateau perhaps? Also, you mentioned you are 15... so maybe not a lot of control over what you get for dinner?

As linnea stated, processed soups are often high in sodium, with often 20-40% of your daily recommended salt amount in just one serving. And, as stated, homemade soups can be made fairly easily and healthy without the added processing and preservatives. Even if you're starting with canned stocks, you can look for lower sodium varieties...

The concern I have is that you aren't getting the right nutrition.

Also, the body is designed to maintain itself... which means when you cut your food, your metabolism will "learn" over time to "expect" lower food intake, and it will slow... which means you won't burn more calories, you might not be getting the nutrients you need, and you might not see the weight loss you want. That's not to say you can't lose weight with lower caloric intake. You can... its one of the best ways to cut weight... but when weight loss slows you cannot just cut out more food to get where you want to be and expect to be healthy.

Honestly... you've done a good job so far. Be glad you lost the weight you did. But at this point, when your body hit a plateau... the thing you need to do is to find a workout that can crank your metabolism up.

Don't have time or a workout partner? Jump rope. Seriously.

Do you even know how hard it is to do this anymore? It sucks. Bad. Sure, it was fun as a little kid... but as you get bigger, it takes a lot more work. Good cardio, lower impact than running, cheap cost, little space needed...

Jumping rope for an hour burns over 1000 calories. Now... I'm NOT saying try to do this. A person who can jump rope for an hour is in INTENSE physical shape.

Try to do it for 5 minutes. If you cannot do it straight for 5 minutes, do a variation by jumping for 100-200 counts. Then march in place for 100-200 counts or walk up and down steps. Then jump rope again. Repeat. If you stagger like this, see if you can do it for 10-15 minutes. etc.

Just something to consider.

That last bit of weight people want to lose or keep off usually requires physical work.

So don't starve yourself. And even if you love soup, you really should think about a balanced diet. Whole wheat bread is much better than processed white. Use good fruits as a snack. Cut out soda completely if you drink it... one of the worst things you can put into your body... I've used pepsi to clean off corrosion on my car battery terminals... why in the world would I put that into my body?

Uh. Ranting. I do that. A lot.

Anyway... balanced, healthy eating is a great thing to do, and soup can be a part of your diet... but if you aren't getting fresh veggies and fruits in there, your body will be lacking what it needs.
    luvyrkez Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 12:15 PM
    I think it is really great you have managed to lose the weight that you have. But you are so young that you don't want to damage your metablolism or anything. I don't know too much about all that stuff, but I do know there are healthly soup diets. One in particular is the Cabbage soup diet. It is a tomato based soup with a lot of vitamins/veggies in it. It is one of the "negative calorie effect" things. I have found that a lot of those foods are great for my cravings. I ordered the Foods that Cause You to Lose Weight book off Amazon for like $2.00 (including shipping!) Anyway, if you feel like you need to lose more weight, please do it in the most healthy way.
    Akeginu Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 11:39 AM

I know from experience that these quick fix diets do not work. Sure they might help you lose a few pounds, but it's mostly just water weight and as soon as you go back to eating regularly you'll gain it right back. You didn't gain all that weight overnight, and you shouldn't expect to lose it overnight either. It takes time, and dedication. It's a lifestyle change. You shouldn't be starving yourself!
    You should try the Weight Watchers diet. It is the only thing that worked for me.
    Honeydiip Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 02:38 PM

Its not healthy but I would suggest the cabbage soup diet cause at least your eating form other food groups
    assea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2012, 05:54 AM
    Yes it sdoes work I have lost 3stones with soup diet in 3 month whichi is 1st in 1 month
    jovi1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Any diet will work all you have to do is:

Eat less
    Exercise More

If you only eat a can of soup, you are most likely going to be eating less than you did before, so sure, go for it.
    chantillybiker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
    I have lost 15 lbs in a month and a week... not bored yet at all, and started with the lighter soups, but now I go for even the higher calories, because seriously even if it is 300 calories.. that is still low for a meal. I feel healthy, for crunch I eat celery and some hummus flavored... still have a 55 calorie beer if I want it. So I am loving it. And people once in awhile get off your high horses, and let people kick start their diet with out all the negative input. Don't discourage, encourage.
    Poodynosia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Well what diet works best for most people is 6 small meals a day, and let me say this.. Do not let negative ideas stop you from doing something that works, if your body respawns well with a soup diet by all means go for it.

I went from 400 pounds to 295 in the past from cutting the call count, and the best way to do that is self control and a managed food plan, for me its eating every 3 hours under or around 200-250 calls a say, and lay off the pop even diet.

You would not believe how much swelling went down from staying way from pop, and I use to drink a half a case a day of diet pop, but what helps the most is food management.

Like my mom lost all her weight with a low sodium diet, and people got on her case acting like she was going to die on it.. so she went off it.. Guess what she is 199 pounds, when she should be 150 or so.. So ignore the people who say stop.

Because you can even eat soup on a 200-250 call diet and it will still work, and I even a long time ago lost 20 pounds in like 3 weeks just because I was living on soup, I felt great and had loads of energy. (( I am back on my diet the 200 call every 3 hours because I had enough of others controlling my life, been on it for 2 weeks now and I lost 1 or 2 inches around my body mostly water right now, but that's just detoxing))
    Poodynosia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodynosia View Post
    Well what diet works best for most people is 6 small meals a day, and let me say this.. Do not let negative ideas stop you from doing something that works, if your body respawns well with a soup diet by all means go for it.

I went from 400 pounds to 295 in the past from cutting the call count, and the best way to do that is self control and a managed food plan, for me its eating every 3 hours under or around 200-250 calls a say, and lay off the pop even diet.

you would not believe how much swelling went down from staying way from pop, and I use to drink a half a case a day of diet pop, but what helps the most is food management.

Like my mom lost all her weight with a low sodium diet, and people got on her case acting like she was going to die on it.. so she went off of it.. Guess what she is 199 pounds, when she should be 150 or so.. So ignore the people who say stop.

Because you can even eat soup on a 200-250 call diet and it will still work, and I even a long time ago lost 20 pounds in like 3 weeks just because I was living on soup, I felt great and had loads of energy. (( I am back on my diet the 200 call every 3 hours because I had enough of others controlling my life, been on it for 2 weeks now and I lost 1 or 2 inches around my body mostly water right now, but thats just detoxing))
    PS: I even lost most of that weight, by not working out.. I do not advise a person to work out on a low calorie diet, especially one as low as I just said, I use to work out 2 hours a day with my friend doing body building, 30 minutes of cardio and the rest lifting weights, I would be starving even if I ate before hand.. Any pro body builder would tell you.. NEVER starve yourself on a workout.. if you do not believe me look at there eating plans and look at how much food it takes to sustain that much mass. They eat 6 big large meals a day.. me I want to be thin and wear clothing that I like, so 6 small meals a day.. Eat big to be big, eat small to be small common sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will this excercise/diet plan work? [ 5 Answers ]

Monday: Warm ups: -Start w/ a 10 min jog. -5 min of stretching. Work out (repeat x3): -Squat w/ a front kick 20 per leg. -Core Thrust 12per side. -Sit-up Punches 10per side. -Pull-ups 10 total. -Split Squats 10 per leg.

Cabbage soup diet. Worth doing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm starting the cabbage soup diet tomorrow. It's a 7 day diet. And have been told I could loose 7-10lbs.has anyone tried this and has it worked... thnks

Best diet tips ever that work. [ 4 Answers ]

Know of any?

How to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is sweet honey bee... I would like to know how to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle. Thanks..

View more questions Search