Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark016024 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Hooking up water line to refrigerator for ice maker and water dispenser
    Here is my problem,

I just bought a refrigerator that has an ice maker and water dispenser which by the way is a Haier PRCS25. I then purchased an ice maker kit from the hardware which came with a self piercing saddle valve. From here I connected the valve to a 3/4" copper cold line pipe running horizontally just bellow the floor of the refrigerator. Once I pierced the hole in the pipe and backed the pin out I was able to make ice but water was just dripping out of the dispenser (not at all in a steady stream as I would expect). After this I drilled a 1/4" hole where the pin pierced the pipe and I received the same results. Also I have city water so the PSI is around 50.

Would it help to reattach another valve to the vertical line running up the wall behind the refrigerator? Any professional suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me fix this problem without calling a plumber.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 04:50 PM

If you have installed the saddle valve properly it should not leak, open the link below it may give you an idea, good luck.

John

Install and use saddle valves and tee valves on the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Hey MARK...

Disconnect the water line at the refridgerator connection and then with a friend's help I want you to aim the tubing into a 5 gallon bucket as a friend turns the saddle valve to the ON position. Is there a full or a reduced stream of water when the saddle valve is turned all the way open?

If full stream then the issue is most likely with the solonoid valve at the refrigerator or at the filter internal to the fridge...

If reduced stream then I recommend that you install a proper shutoff in place of the saddle valve... such as a 1/2" copper x 1/4" compression straight stop valve (sold at home supply stores everywhere). But before we go there.. check out the water line as outlined above. Let us know what you find...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE refrigerator water dispenser [ 25 Answers ]

I was searching your site for answers to my GE side by side refrigerator water dispenser. The line freezes in the door just like many of the ones I have read here. I have heard GE has replaced some doors for people and I have heard they now have a heater for the dispenser. I don't know what the...

Leaking Water Dispenser Line in Refrigerator [ 4 Answers ]

We have a relatively new Frigidaire side by side refrigerator with water/ice dispenser on the freezer side. For some weeks now, most times we opened the fridge a small amount of water would leak out. We thought at first it might be condensation. Last night, I finally figured out the cause of the...

Foul tasting water from refrigerator water dispenser [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator roughly 3yrs old. A couple of weeks ago it started getting warm. We cleaned the coils in the back and it started to cool back down, however, a foul smell started that day. Now the water and ice from the dispenser taste bad and the smell is still...

Cloudy water from refrigerator water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to troubleshoot/fix cloudy water issue. Water from all faucets, etc. is clear, except from the refrigerator water dispenser. I have detached the refrig. Water supply line and opened the value, and still get cloudy water... so I assume the refrig is not the issue. How do I find the...

GE ice maker/water dispenser not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE ref/freezer with water and ice dispenser in the door. The water dispenser barely trickles water and shuts off, the ice maker produces a minimal amount of ice. I know that the water flows freely from the copper pipe to the refrigerator, and when I removed the water filter and...

View more questions Search