Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcleapor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 03:14 PM
    How to get bail money back
    I bailed a friend out of jail in Dallas , TX.
    He went to court and was found not guilty.

How do I get my bail money back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 04:02 PM

Did you actually pay the bail to the court. Or did you pay a bailbondsmen to do the bail.

If you paid the money to the court you will need to contact the court,

If you paid a bailbondmen, you don't get that back.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 05:35 AM

If you paid the money directly to the court, you contact the clerk's office and present your receipt for your friend's case. If the case has been disposed of and the information is in the court file, your money will be returned.

If you paid a 10% bail bond premium and had put up say a car title as collateral for the bond, you need to contact the bailbondsman's office and present certified copies of the court disposition of the case to get your car title or whatever collateral you put up back. No, you do not get the 10% back. That is the premium you paid so your friend could be out of jail until their court date.
    goldentouch4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 10:54 PM

all you need to do is take the paper that they gave you when you paid the bond, take it back to the jail where you paid the bond and you get your money back minus 10%.your friends guilt or innocence doesn't determine if you get your bail money back or not what determines if you get your money back or not is if that person shows up for court or not if they don't go to court after being bonded out that's means they jumped bail and the bond money if forfeited
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldentouch4 View Post
    all you need to do is take the paper that they gave you when you paid the bond, take it back to the jail where you paid the bond and you get your money back minus 10%.your friends guilt or innocence doesnt determine if you get your bail money back or not what determines if you get your money back or not is if that person shows up for court or not if they dont go to court after being bonded out thats means they jumped bail and the bond money if forfeited

This is not correct - there could have been a bondsman involved and THAT office will return the money (minus fees), not the Court.
    trentc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 11:33 AM
    You don't get your bail money back if you paid a premium to a bail agent. That's how bail agents make their living. You pay them the premium (usually 10% of the full bail amount) and in return they get your friend out of jail. If your friend does not show for the court date, they agent is on the hook for the full bail amount. I'd say in this case you are not getting anything back unless you provided collateral, which should be returned to you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 12:24 PM

Please keep an eye on the dates - this is a question from 2008. The people who answered in the past are alerted that you have posted; no one else will see this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my money back [ 9 Answers ]

On Saturday, I was notified by a Bank alert that a legal transaction had occurred taking money out of my bank, I went into the Bank and they would not give me any information, I would have to wait she told me, she also told me I should have been notified before they took the money. On yesterday...

I need my money back! [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend has been living with me since August of last year. He said that we will split all the cost 50/50. Since then he lost his job and when he did get paid, he would only cover his bills, since they are under his name. I have put everything under my name since he didn't want to...

To get the most money back? [ 3 Answers ]

Will I get more money back if I claim 3 children instead of 2? Someone told me after 2 it does not matter.

Get money back [ 2 Answers ]

I gave my boyfriend over $6000 almost 4 years ago because he was in danger of losing his house. It was assummed he would pay me back when he got some money. I have only received $100 to date and we just broke up. How do I go about getting the rest of my money back?

View more questions Search