Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vsc21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Heating unit indoors makes screeching noise while running
    Hi
    We have a gas heating unit. The heating unit is making loud screeching noise while running. (The unit is 7 years old). What may be the problem ?
    We had a service guy in to check it out and he says that the motor needs to be replaced and he is quoting $470 including $80 for labour and remaining for parts.
    Is this the right price, I was thinking it is too high , how much do they usually charge for this. FYI - I am located in northern VA
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Dang that is one expensive motor but we do not know what type of motor it is.

If it is a variable speed it could be a cheap price but since my crystal ball is on the blink again I have no idea whet BRAND and Exact model number of furnace you have.

Nov 19, 2008, 02:06 PM
    What are the possible problems that can cause the screeching noise ?

I will post the brand and model of furnace shortly

Nov 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Motor,fan cage blade assemble,something stuck in fan cage.bad motor mount etc.

Nov 19, 2008, 02:30 PM

I just confirmed that he said we need to replace the inducer assembly as well. The cost includes the motor as well as that.

Nov 19, 2008, 06:58 PM
    The blower and inducer went bad at the same time. Wow that is a strange happening but I guess it does happen. Good luck on your repair. You will be warm soon but your wallet will not be as heavy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside A/C unit makes high pitch noise when turned on [ 4 Answers ]

I am a builder. I have a homeowner who has 3 Trane A/C units. It took a while to distinguish which unit was squeeling. But we now know that when the second floor unit comes on the A/C compressor on the outside make a loud squeeling noice that wakes the homeowner at night. It makes the noise for...

Why is my water heating pipes makes banging noise when heat is coming? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my water heating pipes makes banging noise when heat is coming in a hot water boiler heating system. My water pressure gauge keep coming down where I have to keep adding water back to the boiler. Is there something wrong with the expansion tank that is pressuring air to the pipes?...

Long Running Heating Unit [ 6 Answers ]

Why would my central heating unit run for one hour straight without cutting off if it has reached the programmed temperature?

Heat Pump Outdoor unit makes a 'clicking' noise, what cloud be the cause? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Heat Pump system. I estimate it is 15+ years old. I had it serviced this past summer. (Reversing valve replaced & recharged). The unit has run well since. It now make a 'clicking' sound when the out-door unit is running. There is no mechanical interference that fan blades...

Toilet makes screeching noise while being flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new apartment and the bathroom is brand new. I noticed a screeching noise(like fingernails on a blackboard, ouch!) that last for about 30 seconds when the toilet is flushed and was wondering if this can be fixed. Thank you.

View more questions Search