Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    James De Gregor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Abandonment of rental property in Texas
    Hello, I'm a Texas landlord, who was renting out a home to a tenant. The tenant broke the lease and moved out of the premises on Sunday Nov. 9, 2008. What should I do before I can legally rent the premises out again? What steps should I take to ensure the tenant cannot come back with claims against me? Thanks.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 07:22 AM

Well, I will tell you the legal process that I use in this situation. I use an abandonment notice. You post in on the inside of the front door, and it says that if you do not hear from the tenant within 48 hours of the posting of the notice you will consider this property abandoned and will proceed with storage/disposal of any belongings left behind, taking back possession of the unit, and re-rental of the unit. Once that 48 hours passes I mail (to their last know address) a copy of that notice and a letter stating that because they did not reply to that notice that was posted on the inside of their front door that I have re-gained possession of the property, what I've done with their remaining belongings (use your judgement depending on what they left and how crappy it is), and how much they owe me to date.

I should add, that this process is outlined in my lease, which is a Texas Apartment Assoc. lease. It's 100% in line with all TX laws, so you should have no trouble doing this even if it's not specifically in your lease. The Apartment Assoc. is great. I highly recommend membership in that or some other sort of group for education as well as access to their forms, leases and experts!

What did the people leave, if anything? Did they tell you or notify you in some way that they were bailing out, or did they just leave?
    feiona7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
    They left behind everything that they owned. They never told the landlord they were moving and I know this for a favt because I have the same landlord. They just up and left.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2011, 05:15 PM

This is from 2007 - are you the same person who asked the question? How do you have info about this situation?

Otherwise - what a big coincidence that you came upon this post!
    feiona7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    No I am not the same person who asked the question but it did kind of help me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida - Abandonment of rental property [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant with a 12 month lease abandoned the property and trashed the place. He was current with the rent. He owes about $8,000 in future rent payments unless I can lease the house. Since I did not have to evict him, how do I proceed to collect?

Abandonment of rental property [ 1 Answers ]

I rent out a mobile home. My tenant is two weeks past due. I have tried contacting her and left messages for her. I have gone by the rental property and she is not there. The neighbors say that she has not been there for about tree weeks. I went by her place of employment and she quit her job...

Abandonment in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Texas how long does it take to file for abandonment if the other person seems to be avoiding it?

Tenant rent in Texas, abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

I have no lease agreement with this tenant they have not paid rent in 6 months they are not living there they come in middle of the night get clothes and other personals. What are my rights of abandoment and getting the use of my property back. What is considered abandoment.

Vacation Rental in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

We have a lakehouse that we are beginning to set up as a vacation rental in Texas (i.e. weekend, weekly, monthly type rentals). I haven't been able to find anything online regarding Security Deposits in Texas... i.e. what can/can't be deducted, when it needs to be returned, etc. Anyone have...

View more questions Search