Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Normandy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Heating Zone not working
    It's heating season again and I have a 6 zone hot water heating system and one zone is not working suddenly. It was working fine the other day and today the zone pump will not go on. The thermostat appears to be working fine as it is calling for heat. Is there a procedure that I can follow to determine if the pump has gone bad or if there is a rely that I can test to see if it is bad? Any help would be appreciated!

Regards... Norm
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 06:31 PM
    When the zone is supposed to be operating check for voltage at the pump electrical connection. If voltage is present and the pump does not run then the pump is defective or stuck.

Now it is possible you have a electric water valve on the zones that have to open before the pump comes on. These valves have a end switch that can also cause the pump not to run.
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2008, 07:23 PM

If you have zone valves sometimes the motor goes bad in the zone valve, which you can replace.
    Normandy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    When the zone is supposed to be operating check for voltage at the pump electrical connection. If voltage is present and the pump does not run then the pump is defective or stuck.

Now it is possible you have a electric water valve on the zones that have to open before the pump comes on. These valves have a end switch that can also cause the pump not to run.
    I have a Taco 007-f4 circulator pump that does not appear to be running. If it is supposed to be operating, what would the voltage be at the pump? 120?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
    It is supposed to be running on a call for heat unless wired to operate all the time. 120 volts should be the voltage for your pumps. Pumps will have the voltage requiremsnts listed on the pump itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Zone Heating System [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 zone hot water, gas heating system in my home (1 heater, 2 zones). When the temprature drops below 35 degrees, hot water does not cycle through my 2nd floor heating zone. The zones works fine when its above 35, but when its below not hot water circulates thorught the zoen. My 1st...

Dual zone heating [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me the pros and cons of dual zone heating

New two zone heating system not working. [ 1 Answers ]

We are about to close on a new condo and we had a two zone system put in. The problem is when the heat is off upstairs and the temp is set around 70 in the lower level the temp in the upper level reaches 74 or higher and you can feel the heat coming out the vents. The contractor says this is...

Dual Zone Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air dual zone heating at my home. When I set the temperature at 70 in the first floor.. The fan is also blowing in my 2nd floor and the temperature increases in the 2nd floor to 70. Where as the thermostat in the second floor is set to 62. I looked at the furnace and saw a...

View more questions Search