Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agarnto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 12:51 AM
    Public Defender
    How can a person who has been appointed a public defender change public defenders? My brother is in jail and awaiting trail. His public defender wants him to plead guilty because he doesn't want to do any work on the case. My brother wants to get another public defender to represent him, can he do this or because he has no money does he have to keep an incompetent, lazy attorney? If he can change how does go about doing this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2006, 03:56 AM
    PDs are covered by a Legal Aid group. You should be able to find them listed in your phone book. Call them and find out the procedure for your area. In some courts judges assign PDs from a list. It may be necessary to petititon the judge for a change.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Hi,
    A public defender is appointed to the case by the Court.
    So, you will have to petition the Court.
    I would go to your local court house, go to the Court Clerk's office, and tell them what you want to do. They can guide you on trying to see the Judge.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Hello argento:

He MIGHT be able to fire his lawyer. Have your brother write him a letter firing him and telling him why. Send a copy to the judge. The judge may appoint another attorney not from the public defenders office, or he might not let your brother fire him. If not, that could be grounds for appeal.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2006, 08:25 AM
    First I would say don't think of TV attorneys, what is the evidence against him ? If there is no chance of winning, making a deal ( plea bargan) is often the best thing to do, since you will get a lower sentence. Most cases are fairly well a done deal with good evidnece and witness.

Next you say he does not want to do any work on the case, what work do you think a public defender does on a case, a public defender has no money to check evidence, they don't have normally any investigators to go question anyone. They merely review the evidence against a person, see if it was legally obtained and make sure the persons rights are not violated.

He can ask ( make a motion) to the judge for a change in attorneys, which may or may not be allowed, but don't really expect another one to be of much help ( remember also they are all buddies and if you get rid of one of their people with a complaint, do you think they friend will care much about representing you either.

I am not saying you don't deserve the best defense you can get, I am just saying what I have seen from PD in years past.

Attorneys that are public defenders are one of several thing. Some areas don't have a public defenders office at all, the court merely requires various law firms that try cases in that court to defend people for free ( or for a very low fee), in some areas the state provides free liability insurance for attorneys who will do pro bono work for the court, and in some areas they have actual public defender offices ( but remember they are on a small budget, normally either very new attorneys or at times you get one that actually believes in a cause.

But the main thing is to set down and be realistic in what is the evidence.
    If he is charged with drugs and 2 officers found the drugs on the person, and the drugs tested positive in a state lab ( what defense is there really?)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Hello again:

>>> (what defense is there really?<<<

Padre, Padre, Padre... Spoken like a true drug warrior. What defense is there?? How about an illegal search??

I wish too, to expand on my earlier post. In that post I suggested certain actions to be undertaken by your brother. In that same vein, your brother (or someone) needs to MANAGE his case. IF he just sits back, and LETS it happen of its own accord, HE will get screwed.

Is that going to be the fault of a bad PD? No. Is that going to be the fault of a mean judge? No. Is that going to be the fault of the “system”? No.

Let me clarify the attorney client relationship. The attorney WORKS for the client. Therefore, as in any successful employee/employer relationship, somebody is absolutely in charge and directing the show. If the employee is only expected to do the minimum, guess what? He'll do the minimum.

I'm not talking about legal skills. Of course you don't possess those. I'm talking about how to manage an attorney – how not to be intimidated by them – how to ask questions, lot's of questions - the RIGHT questions.

If your brother, or you, or somebody doesn't take charge of the defense team, your brother will wind up being one of the thousands of cons I've met in the slam, who sniveled, they were only in there because they had a bad PD.

excon

PS> By the way, I don't believe the PD wants your brother to plead guilty because he doesn't want to do any work on the case. THAT is what your brother is saying. Why don't you call the PD, and ask him directly? That would be a good start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

More about public defender [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some clarification as to firing a public defender. Is a person permitted (2) appointments or just (1)? Are you on your own if you fire your public defender? I was told there is a clause in the statutes that says you are entitled to (2). Does it vary from state to state? I have asked...

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

SSL public key encrytion [ 1 Answers ]

In a secure online order form, using SSL public key encrytion, how does the client's compter decide what the key is? I read someplace that old version of Netscape used the time of day, along with some other variable. Heard somewhere that the position of the mouse could be use as a variable. How...

View more questions Search