Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valcarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Where do I find a TOILET that has an 8 1/2 to 9 inch rough in
    Where do I find a TOILET that has an 8 1/2 to 9 inch rough in? Most toilets have 12 to 14 inch rough in. My walls and floor are both tiled. So it is difficult to move or break wall.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Hey Valcarm...

Best you can do is to purchase a 10" rough in toilet...sold everywhere... but more expensive than then the 12" rough in for sure.

A 10" rough in may work on a 9" rough... but will be very tight. No way on 8.5".

You could also install an offset closet flange. This will offset the flange about 1.5" (equals 10 to 11.5" overall according to your numbers). The new toilet should cover the damage you should need to make to install the offset flange. What kind of pipe do you have in place??

Measure toilet rough in from finished wall to the center of the toilet flange... EXACTLY what is the measure?

Let me know...

MARK

valcarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Hi Mark,

Measure toilet rough in from finished wall to the center of the toilet flange... EXACTLY what is the measure? The exact measurement is 9 1/2 inches.

Mark,

Also I spoke to a plumber and his concerns with using a flange. He believes there may be clogs that can cause overflow.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Hey Valcarm...

Offset flange is not issue if installed properly.. ;) But NO NEED FOR ONR HERE ANYWAY!

A 9.5 " measurement tells me that you can order a 10" rough in toilet and you will be all set!!

I have installed 10" rough toilets with only 9.5 inches many many times... was a perfect fit each time.

You should be able to order one from a home supply store, or if you're lucky can check out a local plumbing supply house... they should have a couple different models IN-STOCK!

Let me know how you make out... ok?

Thanks...

MARK

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:41 AM

Actually, you have 10" rough-in set up.

Toto makes toilets that will fit 9". Just about every major toilet manufacturer makes 10" rough toilets. Big Box Stores don't carry them but any warehouse catering to plumbing professionals will have those in stock.
    RalPlmb Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2014, 03:56 PM
    Ran into a situation where one of our customers had an old 8" rough toilet on a basement floor with cast iron piping and flange. The customer was not interested in having us move the flange and asked if there was anything we could do.
    We were able to take a Mansfield 139NS 10" rough, elongated comfort height bowl and a Kohler K-4468 Standard Tank and combine them together (with a small alteration) to fit the 8" rough flange. The tank and bowl both use a 3 bolt pattern. The rear hole lines up, but we had to drill 2 new holes through the bowl for the forward two bolts. Easily done with a 3/8" diamond hole saw drill bit and a little water trickle. The new holes go through the meat of the china so there's no fear in cracking. Worked like a charm!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find smaller than an inch flat irons? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I use to to have a 1/2"plates flat iron to straighten my short hair.I went back to the only store that sold them in my area to get a new one because the one I own broke. I ended up buying one that straightens and does curls but it burned my forehead making me look like a dalmatian because...

Need to replace toilet, rough-in 20" from the wall, toilet has four mounting holes [ 3 Answers ]

In a nutshell, we need to replace our existing toilet. However, the toilet has a rough-in of about 20"+ to the closet flange and the toilet has four mounting holes on the base. The toilet is connected to the closet flange via the front two holes (and nothing in the back two holes). I bought the...

9 inch rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling an older home the original owners put an addition on that included a half bath in the new utility room. The rough opening from the sheetrock to the center of the flange is 9 inches without chipping concrete out and putting in an offset. Is there anything else I can do to...

Moving a toilet over an inch. [ 6 Answers ]

I have to move my toilet over an inch away from the wall per inspector's order. The top of the main sewer line is 4" below ground level encased in the concrete foundation with a 4" 90 degree street ell (spg x hub) at the end. The end of the elbow is .5" below ground level. I found an abs offset...

View more questions Search