Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sparkmaster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
    240V Well Pump connection to Generator
    I have a new water well pump installation at a remote location that runs on 240V. My old portable power generator had a 3-prong receptacle (I just connected the 10ga. 2-wire plus ground lead from the pump to a 3-prong, 30 amp, 240v plug that was supplied with the generator. The pump worked without a problem). Now I have a new portable generator with a 240v receptacle that is 4-prong. I bought a 4-prong plug. Can I just use the White, Black and ground connections and ignore the connection for a Red wire since I don't have a Red wire? Or will that only give me 120v? What do I need to do? Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 12:54 PM

White black will normally give you 120. Black and red will normally give 240. Green or bare is ground.

3 conductor are usually black/white/green so white/black takes on different meanings depending on how used.

Nov 17, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    White black will normally give you 120. Black and red will normally give 240. Green or bare is ground.

3 conductor are usually black/white/green so white/black takes on different meanings depending on how used.
    Thanks for the quick response! Ok, I get what you are saying but I need some more information. If my 3 wires from the pump are Black/White/Bare, and the plug I bought to match the generator outlet calls for 4wires, Black/White/Green/Red, will I get 240v to the pump if they do not include a Red wire? If not, how do I get 240v to the pump with this new 4-prong outlet when I only have 3 wires coming up out of the ground for the pump? :D
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 01:41 PM

Red (Gen) --> White (pump)
    Black (Gen) ---> Black (Pump)
    Bare (Gen) -----> Green (Pump)
    Wht (Gen) ------> No connection

You will have 240 between Red(Gen) and Black(gen).

Nov 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Excellent!! Thank you KeepItSimpleStupid!!
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 03:23 PM

I should mention that if you looked at how the 120 outlets are wired if they exist; they should use black, white and bare/green/chassis.
    eEnergyUnpluged Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 07:16 PM

Hope the new pump doesn't need a starter / control unit in which case the L1 and L2 would connect to red and black with the ground passing through to the ground on the pump. Standard 3 wire pump

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generator transfer switch - enough for well pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10hp 5600 generator that I want to connect to a "GenTran 20216 Manual Transfer Switch". It states that this transfer switch has 6 switches (rated 15 amps ea), a handle tie for one 2-pole circuit such as a well pump. My question is this - my well pump is 220 30 amps. Does two switches at...

Portable Generator to House Connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Could I get a explanation on the below statement I read on another post. "When using the generator powering the house, the neutral to ground bond in the generator should be removed. When independently operating the generator, it should be present.

240v vs 120v well pump [ 1 Answers ]

Hello guys I would like to know which is better . I have a electric well pump that can either be wired 240v or 120v but I don't know which would be more efficient. Could some one please give me some advice.:confused:

Adding a small heater to a 240v irrigation pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 HP irrigation pump fed by a normal 240v service line from a relay activated by the irrigation controller. The pump uses 2 lines plus a ground. I have one extra conductor line running to the pump station. Is there a code acceptable way to use that line, and one of the pump lines to...

Confused with Electrical Connection to my new Steam Generator [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new replacement Steam Generator for my Master Shower. It is installed in the attic about 40' from main service panel. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the electrical connections on the old Steam unit and simply untied all wires and removed the old unit. I didn't...

View more questions Search