Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lukapuka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Adding the boyfriend to the lease
    I currently have a month to month (California) and my boyfriend moved in with me. A month after adding his name to the lease we are told that he is not allowed to reside here because he cannot prove his income. The "lease" is already in my name, I have always paid in full and on time, so basically nothing is changing other than the fact he lives with me.

Q: This was not a 30 day notice, does he legally have to move out? How will this effect me?

It just seems to me that with all the stay-at-home moms, handicapped people, PEOPLE TAKING CARE OF OTHER PEOPLE, how could this possibly be legal? Is it?

Nov 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lukapuka View Post
    I currently have a month to month (California) and my boyfriend moved in with me. A month after adding his name to the lease we are told that he is not allowed to reside here because he cannot prove his income. The "lease" is already in my name, I have always payed in full and on time, so basically nothing is changing other than the fact he lives with me.

Q: This was not a 30 day notice, does he legally have to move out? How will this effect me?

It just seems to me that with all the stay-at-home moms, handicapped people, PEOPLE TAKING CARE OF OTHER PEOPLE, how could this possibly be legal? Is it?

I forgot to add, when I initially moved in, there was a "credit check fee" that I was required to pay but they never ran my credit. This brings up two questions, under what pretenses was it okay to let me move in without the same qualifications they are requesting from him? Can I get that fee back?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 07:18 PM

How do you know they didn't do a check?

Does your lease say anything about any other occupants?

Nov 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    How do you know they didn't do a check?

Does your lease say anything about any other occupants?
    I get updates (via lending tree) every time something changes on my credit report. It shows ALL inquiries and none from my current landlord.

My lease states that I am the only resident and that no one else can reside without written consent from them. "Persons not listed in the lease may not stay for more than 15 consecutive days without owners written consent and not more than twice that many days in any one month"

We have concluded that if he is away, which he often is, that may solve the problem. Unless of course the fact that all of his things are here and he feels like he has to creep around when he's home since we have an on property manager who seems to know everyone whereabouts at all times.

Do we have any protection since we added him to the lease and they waited one month to send this letter?

PS thanks for your response.

Nov 12, 2008, 07:39 AM

First, there are other ways to check credit besides using the credit reporting services. Also does your monitoring service monitor all THREE reporting services? But you might have an issue with that and can ask them to produce a receipt for the check.

Clearly he is only allowed to reside there with their approval. Therefore if they don't want him he has to move out. Or you can be evicted.

Nov 12, 2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks,

Someone else also told me that if after adding him to the lease over a month ago, and they accepted a rent check with his name on it, they accepted him as living here... do you know if this is true?

Also since he does have to move out now, they do have to give a 30 day notice right? They can't just all of a sudden send a letter that says he is not allowed to reside here? Right?

What do you think about him being gone so often (he spend allot of nights out if he is in another city, vacation etc... ) Do we have a little loop hole in the guest portion of the lease?
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Is his mail coming to your address?

Since its only a 30 day lease, in NJ, they need to provide 30 days notice that they are not renewing his lease (or your joint lease) which means they need to proceed with evicting him and sign a new lease with just you, and if they do that, I'd edit the lease and only agree to the lease if they remove that clause.

If you don't want to edit the lease or they do not agree to that, then sign a new lease w/ just your name and so long as the BF doesn't have his mail coming to your address, where is there proof the BF is living there?

Lastly, if you refuse to sign a new lease with only your name, they will be forced to evict all of you, and is that something they want to do?

Nov 12, 2008, 10:05 AM

I doubt if his travleing will fly. If they allowed hime to sign the lease pending a background check, he's stuck. If there was no pending you might have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding someone to lease [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend moved into my apartment, the lease is in my name. My landlord knows about this, but now he wants my boyfriend to be added to the lease. Legally can he do that, what if I want the lease to be in my name only. Can he force me to add him?

Adding a clause into a lease [ 1 Answers ]

We are about to sign a lease to rent a home from the owner in California for two years so that we can lower the rent. In past leases, there was a clause that allowed us to give 60 days notice (or two months rent) to break the lease. The landlord will allow me to add this in to the lease, but I...

Adding husband to lease [ 13 Answers ]

I asked my landlord can I add my then fiancé to lease when we got married. She didn't have a problem with it. We got married a few months ago, now she giving me the run around. What can I do. Do she have the right to not allow my husband on the lease.

Adding name to house title with boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

How does one go about adding their name (with permission from boyfriend) to the house title without refinancing?

Adding someone to a lease [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know if it is legal for a landlord to allow an additional person to sign a lease months after the original lease has been signed? Also is there a maximum number of tenants that can be signed on a lease? I thought that only two people were allowed per bedroom, but that might have just...

View more questions Search