Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShirlRizz1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Sears, Home Depot, or a private HVAC co. to install new heat pump and air handler?
    Dear hvac-talk man,

I love your website and your use of the Word of God, and I could use your advice about my heat pump system.

I have a quote from a private HVAC company for a Trane 3 ton 15 SEER Heat Pump System with a variable speed indoor unit using R410A, and the equipment warranty is 10 years on parts and 1 year on labor.

My old unit is a 22-year-old Trane that has run well until last year. (I read, off the air handler, that it is a BWH730A00A1, Electric Heater-208OR, 1Ph, 60Hz, Motor H.P. 163, Fl Lamps 2.1, bolts 200-230).

I want to sell my condo, (more like need to as I have been laid off), but it will speed up the sale if I replace the old-troublesome HVAC system. My one-floor condo is in Mass. And is 945 sq.ft. with 5 windows. The quote is for $7,360, and I trust the guys who made the proposal.

I am going to get a quote from Sears on a Carrier and another private HVAC co. (don't know the make they will quote.) I am thinking about asking Home Depot to give me a quote too.

Do you have an opinion about Sears, Home Depot, Trane and Carrier, and do you think the $7,360 is a good price for the Trane that I mentioned above?

Thank you so much for your help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
    $7,360

Sounds like way too much $$$ for what you are getting. Get other estimates and do not show that estimate to the other bidders.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Nov 4, 2008, 08:53 AM

I'm no real estate agent but I wonder if that will move your place better. Do you have some less costly but sexy improvements that would help?

Since you're not staying, you want rock bottom price that will look good and work reasonably well. My first thought is a 3 ton sounds pretty big for that small amount of square footage. I would get multiple quotes from multiple places on multiple brands and make sure they do a load calc (aka Manual J) to be sure it is sized right. It is common for units to be over-sized. Goodman seems to have some low prices units. Some HVAC pros aren't too keen on Goodman, but since you're not staying it may be a lower cost improvement that that will hold up just fine in the short term.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 4, 2008, 05:22 PM

I wouldn't waste the money on a Trane unit whether you were staying or going. I am NOT a fan of Trane. Overpriced and difficult to get parts same day (at least in my area).

I do like the Goodman equipment as well as the Carrier/Payne/Bryant equipment. As of late I have been getting very good deals on Paynes.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Nov 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Check out Craigslist. I had my system done recently and found someone that does it on the side. Cost 1/3 what my friendly oil company wanted.
    Just be sure to check references and a good option is to have them quote just labor. Have them give you a list of what is needed and go buy it and have it delivered yourself. If they decide to disappear you're not out anything.
    dondang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlRizz1 View Post
    Dear hvac-talk man,

I love your website and your use of the Word of God, and I could use your advice about my heat pump system.

I have a quote from a private HVAC company for a Trane 3 ton 15 SEER Heat Pump System with a variable speed indoor unit using R410A, and the equipment warranty is 10 years on parts and 1 year on labor.

My old unit is a 22-year-old Trane that has run well until last year. (I read, off the air handler, that it is a BWH730A00A1, Electric Heater-208OR, 1Ph, 60Hz, Motor H.P. 163, Fl Lamps 2.1, bolts 200-230).

I want to sell my condo, (more like need to as I have been laid off), but it will speed up the sale if I replace the old-troublesome HVAC system. My one-floor condo is in Mass. and is 945 sq.ft. with 5 windows. The quote is for $7,360, and I trust the guys who made the proposal.

I am going to get a quote from Sears on a Carrier and another private HVAC co. (don't know the make they will quote.) I am thinking about asking Home Depot to give me a quote too.

Do you have an opinion about Sears, Home Depot, Trane and Carrier, and do you think the $7,360 is a good price for the Trane that I mentioned above?

Thank you so much for your help!
    I had sears did the estimate for our house 1970 sq ft. He quoted $8,300 for 3 thon heat pump HEIL brand. It was unbelievable, because the trane dealer quoted me for XL15 heat pump and XV80 furnace for 8100. The price of a one heat pump is higher than the price of trane heatpump and furnace.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 06:18 AM

I woud go first with a quote from several independent companies. Explain what you did here.

But in selling, often it is paint color, home staging, front yard plants and some issues like that you need to also focus on
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Avoid Home Depot. They will just sub-contract the job and collect a middle-man fee. Sears is typically high-priced. If you are selling, a new standard-efficiency system will be attractive enough to any potential buyer. The additional expense of a variable-speed system is probably overkill, and you may not realize much added resale value. Go with a good basic system from a reputable contractor, and spend the extra $$ on curb and interior appeal. Don't purchase any extended warranty coverage unless it is transferable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing heat pump and air handler package [ 6 Answers ]

My trane xl1000 compressor died and I am obtaining quotes from several sources on a replacement air handler and heat pump. Here are my choices: From quote A: We can install a Bryant model FX4CNF030 air handler with a 20kw heat package and a Bryant model 265ANH030 heat pump condenser for...

Heat Pump Install -Houston Texas - Yes or No [ 1 Answers ]

Is it wise to install a heat pump type system to cool and heat your house in a climate like Houston, TX? High humidity, high temperatures 98+ degs, does not cool down at night, maybe 82 or 85 degs low. I know heating is not an issue but can a heat pump handle bringing the temperature down from 98...

Getting a new heat pump: get new air handler too? [ 3 Answers ]

My heat pump (outside condenser unit) is dying and needs replacement. Indoor air handler running fine. Both units are 10 year old Carriers. 2 questions: 1. Do I need to replace the indoor air handler unit at the same time? I know doing so would be best for efficiency, but ignoring that, is it OK...

New Heat Pump/Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 3 level, small single family house. We are replacing our heat pump and air handler - We want to know if a 2.5 ton unit (either in or out) can be paired with a 2 ton unit. Do they both have to be the same amount of tons?

How to wire a heat pump & varialble air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Please help how to wire a Goodman 13seer 1.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton variable speed air handler to a EWC BMplus 3000 Zoning control system. Thanks, Alo:confused:

View more questions Search