Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Artshow Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Loud Toilet after Flush
    Both toilets in our home are very loud after flushing - mainly when the toilet is re-filling with water. The downstairs toilet has become very loud over the past few weeks. It's a loud continuous hiss until the toilet is done re-filling. Could there be something in the water pipes (build-up, corrosion, etc.) that is causing this, and can it be easiliy cleaned or repaired?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 03:19 PM

Had a similar problem, turned out that after I increased the pressure coming into the house no more problems.

Nov 3, 2008, 03:23 PM

The house is 30 years old - I've owned it for the past 7 - and from what I can tell, they are the original toilets and pipes. The problem in the downstairs bathroom just started a few weeks ago, but we've always struggled with the loud refill. I'll try and increase the inbound water pressure and see if that works.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Artshow View Post
    Both toilets in our home are very loud after flushing - mainly when the toilet is re-filling with water. The downstairs toilet has become very loud over the past few weeks. It's a loud continuous hiss until the toilet is done re-filling. Could there be something in the water pipes (build-up, corrosion, etc.) that is causing this, and can it be easiliy cleaned or repaired?
    What ballcocks do you have? (see image). Back to you, tom

Nov 3, 2008, 03:44 PM

Ballcocks size? No idea. How do I find that?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Ballcocks size? No idea. How do I find that?
    Didn't ask for the size. I want to know what you have in the toilet tanks. Tom

Nov 3, 2008, 03:57 PM

Ah - my bad. The colored image you showed resembles my toilets.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Ahh! Float Ball type. First thing to try is cutting back on the pressure with the shut off located under the tank while the tank's filling. That will usually do it but if ut don't shut the water off and remove the three screws and pull the float and stem assembly up and turn it over. Pry the washer out and turn it over/. Now seat it back firmly but before you button things up polace a can over the open ballcock and turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble and give it a flush. All better now? Regards, Tom

Nov 3, 2008, 06:52 PM

I'm sorry - I actually have one of each. The "noisier" toilet has the ballcocks resembling the other image (black & white) you showed.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Let's take "babt steps" shall we? Let'stake the float ball one first. Did you try reducing or increasing the flow at the stop as it was filling? Tell me about it, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:37 PM

AS Tom says remove the 3 screws and turn over the washer, see the image, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Nov 4, 2008, 08:47 PM

I increased the water pressure just a tad and it quieted down considerably in the upstairs toilet. The downstairs does not have the float ballcocks. I increased the pressure on that one, and although the loud hissing that was going on left, it still is somewhat loud when refilling. Any tips?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2008, 07:02 AM
    I increased the water pressure just a tad and it quieted down considerably in the upstairs toilet. The downstairs does not have the float ballcocks. I increased the pressure on that one, and although the loud hissing that was going on left, it still is somewhat loud when refilling. Any tips?
    Did you shut the water off and remove the three screws and pull the float and stem assembly up and turn it over? Pry the washer out and turn it over? Seat it back firmly but before you button things up polace a can over the open ballcock and turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the supply? There's your "tip". Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

First Flush of Toilet does NOT work right BUT second flush works great? [ 4 Answers ]

We have 2 toilets and both have the same problem. The first flush does NOT work right and will NOT flush completely, water rises and then goes back down. The second flash works GREAT? We have plunged and clean out all blow or jet holes NOthiNG is plugged? Short of double water bills and the...

Toilet Won't Flush [ 2 Answers ]

My tolite won't flush at the moment there is like a wee metal hook that seems to have fallen off were do I need to conect this to? I no that one part is suppost to connect to the chain but were does the other part go?

Toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

We just installed a new toilet and when flushing the water goes too high and all the water does not go out, does not empty..

Toilet tank lever breaks when I try to flush toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem trying to flush my toilet. When attempting to flush the plastic tank lever often breaks and when I use the metal tank level they often bend. The only way to flush the toilet is by removing the top and pulling up the tank ball lift by hand. What can I do to solve this problem. Thank...

View more questions Search