Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Need Advice Starting a Business After Being Convicted of a Felony
    I am a female felon. I'm definitely not proud of what I have done to myself.
    However, I have done my time, I've been off parole for almost 3 yrs now, and I have bought my own business.:o
    Here is my problem area... I cannot get a job in my field of work. I have 28 yrs experience in Management, but due to my record I cannot get hired. So, I bought my own business. But now I can not afford to get it started. Does anyone have ANY ideas? A financial backer, Grant, etc.
    Please help...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Hi, cynle!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just re-titled and moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. It seemed like it would be the most appropriate topic area based upon what you are wanting to know. The title "Female Felon" was something that I thought needed to also be changed so that your question would also attract the best people to address your question. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Concerning your question. The first thing that I would suggest doing is working to proactively get out of the mind-set that you are a felon. How about something like "former felon" instead and also try to not make a big deal out of the fact that you had the conviction? True, having been convicted of a felony is something that can potentially be a bar to you in various ways of life and business. However, once a person has done their time and paid their dues to society, then they are free to go about working positively and proactively to go about their business just like everyone else. Please do think positively! Ever onward and ever upward! You can turn your scars into stars if you try, but it's largely a matter of the choices that you make. It's also true that there might be just a few people who are going to like to remember people for the worst thing that they ever did, and that they will want to forget any good a person did in the past and think that the potential good a person could do in the future is totally irrelevant because of that one thing that was done. That doesn't mean that you have to beat yourself up though...

If you're ready to move forward with your life and have learned good lessons because of what you did, then simply move forward and don't give up.

Enough on that...

I have just a couple of questions for you.

What kind of business is it that you are wanting to start?

And

Does your having a felony conviction on your record bar you in any way from operating the business that you're wanting to start, please?

Congratulations on buying a business, by the way! Great job! :)

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 07:45 PM

Good post Clough.

Nov 1, 2008, 10:51 PM

Awww! Thank you !

Nov 1, 2008, 11:01 PM

Clough;
    When I was done reading your post, I had tears in my eyes.
    You are so very right, I do need to start referring myself as a "ex" felon. I just have a very hard time that only because I am reminded of it every time I try to get a job, or apply for any kind of loans, grants, etc.
    I do pride myself on getting as far as I have though. I even put myself into college and now have a diploma in Medical Billing and Insurance Coding. Cannot use it though, but paying for it.
    Answers to your questions: I baught a 16' concession trailer.
    And yes, having a conviction does hinder this, however, so far it has only been in the start up. Once I am up and running there won't be any problems getting into shows, ( I hope and pray)
    I also wanted to add that I think you are a great person for this kind of world!!

Nov 1, 2008, 11:05 PM

I just re read my first post, And believe me when I say that I am definitely NOT, repeat, NOT proud of myself!!
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Hi and thanks, cynle!

I'm here. I think that you're still within the time frame that you could add the word not to your original post by editing it. If you aren't able to do that, I can do that for you.

If you would like to discuss further your situation and coping strategies, I would more than welcome the opportunity to do that!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 12:03 AM

I did put the word "not" in your original post, cynle.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:46 AM

Welcome Cynle! You met the one who could help you, Clough! Lucky! Ok, I wish you the best of luck for your job.

Btw, I second that Stringer! Really a great post Clough! :)
    Business Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 08:45 AM

When genius is... it must be recognized... right guys.

About time you received the credit you deserve Clough!
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    When genius is....it must be recognized....right guys.

About time you received the credit you deserve Clough!
    Hey, bless your heart too, Stringer! What an incredibly nice thing for you to say!

Thanks!! :)
    deepaksingh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
    hi to all i just wanna to ask which business should be preferable to start with less investment n big profit.....my father's also business man bt i dont wanna join there business......i just want to earn much mone money in less time.....it doesnt matter how hard work i hav to do for it.....
    Business Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deepaksingh View Post
    hi to all i just wanna to ask which business should be preferable to start with less investment n big profit.....my father's also business man bt i dont wanna join there business......i just want to earn much mone money in less time.....it doesnt matter how hard work i hav to do for it.....
    Please read the rules and regulations for this site. You are to start your own thread, do not piggyback on someone else's thread with a new question.:)

No problem, however this thread is for Cynle and his question. Just ask your question on a new thread under the proper category.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business grants for disabled and convicted felon [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a convicted felon but also is disabled. Would someone know a research direction to start?

If your convicted of a felony, can you receive money for school? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if somebody that is convicted of a felony, can receive a grant or do they offer any help for people that are convicted felon's to go to school? :confused:

Convicted felony, still get into canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is david, I have a felony conviction from aug 1995, theft by contractor, I deposited money from a business acount into my personal account, I served my 5 days sentence, and 2 years probation, can I still enter into canada? I being relocated for work.

Employment application: Have you ever been charged/ convicted of a Felony? [ 19 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son who was charged with a Felony offense (arson) when he was 16, he was placed on Diversion ( like Juvenile probation) and in January of 2008 he can petition the court to have it expunged from his record since he hasn't been in any trouble since or even before that. My...

Can a us army reserve soldier be deported if he gets convicted with a felony [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone can look into this matter I would be so thankful... I served the US Army Reserves but than I was convicted with a drug offense. I received an honorable discharge even though I was convicted with this drug offense. Now I'm trying to get back into the military. If anyone can give me an...

View more questions Search