Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bullwoosy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 10:26 AM
    If I owe landlord money other than rent, can I be evicted?
    When I moved into my home in tx, I signed a 6 month lease. The electric was already on in the home under my landlords name, It took us right at a month to get it transferred over. In that month the bill was $700, I try to make some kind of arrangements with the electric company, but since it was in his name they said talk to the landlord. He chose to pay it in full, and told me not to worry about it just make sure I pay the fees to get it in my name and we would work out something later. Two months later I was $125 short on rent, the next month he accepted my $325 short rent payment, One week ago I got an eviction notice out of the blue, telling me to pay $1150 by the 31st or get out. I let him know I could not pay the whole thing but I would pay the $450 for rent, he said pay it all up!! Can he evict me for the electric bill payment? If so is one week sufficient time to do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2008, 12:15 PM
    The process goes like this. He serves you wilt a pay or quit notice giving you 3-10 days to pay in full or vacate. If you do not vacate within that time, then he has to file for an eviction order in housing court. You can appear at the hearing and argue that you only owe $450. If the judge sides with you, you get to stay, otherwise an eviction order is issued. You then have to vacate according to the time limit set in the order or you will be put out.

Next time you move in to a home, take a meter reading if you are responsible for utilities.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 02:20 PM
    I agree with Scott.

It sounds like the dollar amount may not hold up, but Texas law is pretty clear that if you're even $1 behind on rent you can be evicted. There's an eviction for non-payment of rent, and then there's an eviction for other lease violations. If he filed for non-payment of rent, and your rent is 100% completely caught up you'll likely be able to get it thrown out. Then he's likely to go re-file for the appropriate type of eviction. (I couldn't tell from your post if you're still behind SOME rent, of it it's JUST the electric bill now.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy View Post
    I agree with Scott.
    What's the Pay or vacate time frame for TX?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What's the Pay or vacate time frame for TX?
    Three days, unless the lease specifies otherwise.

Which mine does. I use the TAA (Texas Apartment Association)lease, so it's only 24 hours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Evicted by Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I went to court on 10/24/2008 for an unlawful detainer. The judge ruled in favor of the landlord and gave me ten days. Is it 10 days from the court date or is it 10 days from 10/25/2008? And what happens on the 10th day and we have not moved out yet?

Evicted by a law landlord didn't know! [ 3 Answers ]

San Diego, CA Landlord evicted me, my friend, and brother after 4 months of a year lease because he wasn't aware of the cities 'High Occupany Laws' that were passed months before my signing the lease. It states no more than 5 people can live in a single dwelling without off street parking. It...

Can I be evicted for not paying rent because I'm not being supplied with water? [ 7 Answers ]

Ill try to make this short... I have been renting a home for about 5 months now, this is the first month ( November) that I have refused to pay rent. 3 days after paying rent last month I called my landlord to inform her that we had no water, she sent her plumber out to figure out why, he said that...

Buying house, been evicted, pay rent [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord has been trying to sell the house I live in for a year. He told me to move out on the first of January. I did not and paid him rent for the month. He took me to court to evict and gave me 30 days. In the mean time, I gotten financing and all is approved. We are supposed to sign the...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

View more questions Search