Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickib5512 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Propane smell in furnace exhaust
    I have a strong propane smell in furnace exhaust. I do not smell it in the house, and can only smell it when the furnace is running and I am outside. Also, there seems to be a gurgling sound that I did not notice previously.

Propane company said first there's probably not a problem and then said it is probably my furnace. I first noticed it about 3 weeks ago.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I would call for service. You are never supposed to smell raw propane so it is possible your furnace is not completely combusting all the propane during the burn process.

Since you only smell it when the furnace is running that pretty well isolates it to the furnace.
    vickib5512 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Thanks so much. While I was waiting for a reply I did just that. Furnace man is coming later today.
    oldraja Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickib5512 View Post
    Thanks so much. While I was waiting for a reply I did just that. Furnace man is coming later today.
    Hi.. have you figured out what happened yet? I have the same problem. I smell something similar to gas only outside the house when furnace runs.

Let me know please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane smell from an electric oven [ 13 Answers ]

O.K. I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone heard of this. The oven is VERY old. The brand name is Sunray. It has worked fine, other then the temperature being off 50 to 100degrees.

Propane furnace exhaust pipe black [ 6 Answers ]

Propane furnace not working right. Exhaust pipe out of house is black at the end. Does this mean a problem?

Gas Dryer Exhaust Smell in Clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Sears Elite Gas Dryer, it has developed a smell in our clothes and especially towels, that smells like the exhaust of the dryer. It is really strong when the towels are re-wetted when drying off. The smell will stay on the skin. I have cleaned the lint screen, fan, cabinet,...

Need new propane furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me suggestions on what to look for/ask about when getting estimates on my new furnace. I am a complete novice! THANK YOU!

Exhaust Fan Constantly Blowing on Propane Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have noticed that the exhaust fan constantly blows on my State Select Propane Water Heater. Is this normal, or should it only come on when the water heater is actually heating? Thanks,

View more questions Search