Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hogue6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2005, 07:49 PM
    How do I reverse ceiling fan direction?
    We moved into our home that already had a very nice Hampton Bay ceiling fan installed, but we have no instruction manual... It is a model that has a remote control, with an up light, down light and lo-med-high settings for the fan. However, we have noticed that the way the fan is blowing (counter clockwise) is not blowing any cool air down to the floor. Because it is a remote controlled fan, there are obviously no fan or light pulls and there also is no visible switch of any kind to reverse the direction either. This is extremely frustrating because this fan is in the master bedroom which already has a cooling issue due to poor HVAC circulation (another issue for another day). Anyway, we would appreciate any advice or knowledge about this...
    Until then, we remain stifling hot in sunny sunny Florida...
    NoCalHomeowner2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 12:19 AM
    Counter Clockwise is...
    Correct for summer usage. It isn't intended that the fan will recirculate cold air. Instead, it causes the air to hit your body at a speed which essentially causes windchill. That is, you feel like the temperature is lower than it actually is.

But the temperature of the air in the room isn't being modified at all. That is why it is useless to have a ceiling fan blowing in the summer when there is nobody in the room. All it does is waste electricity, since the fan doesn't actually lower the temperature in the room.

In the winter, however, when you reverse the fan and, at the same time, usually use the lowest setting, you actually move the hot air from the top of the room to the lower parts of the room. In this case, the temperature of the room near the floor (or at least not at the ceiling) is actually increased by operation of the fan.

There is a trick that I read about on this site a while back that allows you to reverse the direction of the fan even if you can't find the switch for doing so manually. I'll see if I can find it and post back. Somebody else may know off the top of their head.

George
    NoCalHomeowner2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 12:33 AM
    Here is the url...
    For the trick I was mentioning. Read the third post.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=1770

George
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 06:18 AM
    I know I'll get flamed for this, and I know this thread is ancient, but it is relavent.

There is NO summer or winter "direction". This is a MYTH.

Circulating heat and cooling is more a product of blade speed than direction, especially in larger rooms.

Slow speeds do not blow the air around causing it to cool. Slow speeds take air and move it. What happens is where ever the air is moved the air that was there is displaced.

In the winter, with the blades blowing upward, the cool air below is SLOWLY moved up and the warmer air above is displaced down around the ceiling and walls.
    Now take this supposedly "winter direction" and put the fan on high or medium. You WILL feel a cool breeze along the walls.

With a high ceiling you can leave the fan blowing down in winter and you will do the same thing only the warm air itself is displaced downward and the cool air is moved out by the warm.

Thing is, this all only works for a while. Once all the air is mixed you are at an even temperature plane. The fan in low speed is keeping the warmer air from separating and rising again.

In summer medium and high speeds create a breeze, just like and other fan in a home, regardless of the direction. Do you want the cool breeze blowing straight down from the fan, or indirectly down along the walls?
    Simple as that.

Oct 12, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTuel View Post
    Tommy, did you write that page?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 11:12 PM

Actually, it appears he took a page I wrote, and changed just a few words.

Oct 25, 2008, 06:09 AM
    That's the impression I got.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 10:49 AM

The page that publishes my articles has submitted it to Google for plagiarism, but it's probably very hard to prove. I'm sure we'll call Stan as a witness!
    Pioneerhs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
    I too am have the same problem the question asker had. No way to reverse the fan! If your going to start a debate club about the stupid way a Fan Works and who said it first ji=oin the debate team but the Questions is HOW DO I REVERSE THE FAN! How about Trying to answer that Mr. Ceiling Fan Repairman? Or anyone else who "Answered" this person question?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerhs View Post
    I too am have the same problem the question asker had. No way to reverse the fan! If your going to start a debate club about the stupid way a Fan Works and who said it first ji=oin the debate team but the Questions is HOW DO I REVERSE THE FAN!! How bout Trying to answer that Mr. Ceiling Fan Repairman? Or anyone else who "Answered" this person question?
    Yeah. What do you think we are paying you all that money for?

Some one needs an attitude adjustment.
    IndyJonny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
    I'm seeing lots of questions regarding how to reverse a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that has no reverse switch on the main unit. You'll first want to get the phone number of the ACTUAL manufaturerfrom Home Depot (Hampton Bay is a Home Depot brand that is manufactured by different 3rd parties). The manufacturer for the Altura 68' is GP Warranty - 800.749.3267. On to the instructions and the HUGE caveat...

With the remote:
    1) hit the Hi button
    2) thit the Lo button
    3) hold the reverse button until the fan starts turning the other way.

HUGE CAVEAT!!

THE FAN WILL NOT GO INTO REVERSE IF YOU HAVE IT ON A DIMMER SWITCH!!

As soon as I changed to tradition switch the fan responded to the button sequence (it would only slow down and then speed back up before).

IndyJonny :)
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerhs View Post
    I too am have the same problem the question asker had. No way to reverse the fan! If your going to start a debate club about the stupid way a Fan Works and who said it first ji=oin the debate team but the Questions is HOW DO I REVERSE THE FAN!! How bout Trying to answer that Mr. Ceiling Fan Repairman? Or anyone else who "Answered" this person question?
    What fan? You didn't include a make or model or any other relevant information.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by indyjonny View Post
    i'm seeing lots of questions regarding how to reverse a hampton bay ceiling fan that has no reverse switch on the main unit. You'll first want to get the phone number of the actual manufaturerfrom home depot (hampton bay is a home depot brand that is manufactured by different 3rd parties). The manufacturer for the altura 68' is gp warrenty - 800.749.3267. On to the instructions and the huge caveat...

With the remote:
    1) hit the hi button
    2) thit the lo button
    3) hold the reverse button until the fan starts turning the other way.

Huge caveat!!!!

The fan will not go into reverse if you have it on a dimmer switch!!!!!

As soon as i changed to tradition switch the fan responded to the button sequence (it would only slow down and then speed back up before).

Indyjonny :)
    A remote fan should not be used on a dimmer switch, period.
    anuragdhiman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
    How do I reverse ceiling fan direction

Jun 15, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anuragdhiman View Post
    How do i reverse ceiling fan direction
    A) This thread is ancient. Please start a new one with your question, no matter how similar it seems.

B) How about some more detail? Your question as asked can be answered many different ways.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 11:19 PM

Stan for the win!
    shanefus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Turn the fan up side down, mount it on the floor.
    smitty6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Yeah who gives a if he stole you post? OMFG get a life it's a forum post not a novel. And its about ceiling fans!! Jesus how sad.
    smitty6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 8, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanefus View Post
    Turn the fan up side down, mount it on the floor.
    Good one shane. Ing idiot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan direction change [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HB fan that I can not find a model number for. The fan uses remote model UC7076T. Can anyone tell me how to change the direction of the fan, I can not find a switch on the fan and the remote does not have a direction button on it. Thanks and Hurry it is hot... :mad:

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Ceiling Fan Default Rotation Direction [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan w/ remote and wall switch. The default direction is winter mode but I want it to be summer mode. If I only use the remote I set the direction once and then all is well. But if my kids turn off the fan with the wall switch then next time it is turned on I need to reset...

Ceiling Fan in Reverse [ 3 Answers ]

I searched and I see that this was brought up some time ago, but the solutions offered have not worked for me. I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a remote wall switch. The fan will no longer "reverse" and it is going in the wrong direction. I have tried to switch on and off with the fan...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Reverse Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have one of those hampton bay fans that have palm leaves for the blades. It is s remote controlled fan, but the control has no reverse. If I buy a new remote that contains a reverse button, (as well as install the new 'controller' into the hub above the fan motor), will the fan reverse? Or...

View more questions Search