Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladymistress Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Terrible rotting smell coming from wall?
    I have a terrible rotting smell in my bathroom wall it took a while to pin point the location but yesterday I noticed little maggot looking things on my window sill I was told it was likely wasp larvae? The smell is strongest around the window and seems to be leaking around in from inside the wall. I can't understand where these creatures are coming from as there doesn't seem to be holes anywhere. We did have a wasp problem outside this window around the eaves this fall. I have been told rotting wasp nest, dying larvae smells like rotting meat. That is the smell. Does anyone know how long it takes for a nest to die off? I don't want to have to tear walls down to try to find it any suggestions?:eek
    myoldhouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladymistress View Post
    i have a terrible rotting smell in my bathroom wall it took a while to pin point the location but yesterday i noticed little maggot looking things on my window sill i was told it was likely wasp larvae? the smell is strongest around the window and seems to be leaking around in from inside the wall. i can't understand where these creatures are coming from as there doesn't seem to be holes anywhere. we did have a wasp problem outside this window around the eaves this fall. i have been told rotting wasp nest, dying larvae smells like rotting meat. that is the smell. does anyone know how long it takes for a nest to die off? i don't want to have to tear walls down to try to find it any suggestions?:eek
    Did you recently have a pest control service in, or put out any vermin bait or poison? If so (or even if not) you may have a deceased rodent of some sort in the wall, and the 'larvae' probably are maggots. Gross, huh? It happens. If a mouse or rat can get its' skull through a space, and that space can look impossibly small, it can compress its' body and go through. Short of opening the wall to check (may want to call an exterminator or pest control expert, also) time will diminish the smell. Wow, this is a good place for a StickUp(TM)!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 06:47 PM

If it were a mouse the smell would pretty much be gone in 2-3 weeks, twice that time for a rat. A rotting nest could take all year. Call your home owners insurance company and ask their adjuster to pay you a visit. It would be easier to open the wall from the inside but e don't know what your wall mayterial is, can you tell us more?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unidentified terrible cabbage smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have had a terrible smell in my house for at least 6 weeks. It smells like cabbage/rotten veg and it is unbearable. It was really bad and then it seemed to disappear, but now it's back with a vengeance. The smell is worst in the study and at the front door in the hall, also in a small toilet...

Terrible septic gas smell inside 1/2 bath and outside house [ 5 Answers ]

We bought a nine year old house four years ago and there has always been a terrible septic gas smell that originates from the small half-bath on the ground floor and is so terrible it literally fills our two-story house. The toilet is not loose and was replaced by a plumber two years ago (along...

Calcium Coming Up Through Grout--TERRIBLE! [ 2 Answers ]

We built a new home in Orange County, CA, about six years ago. For our patio, we used a concrete slab and then covered that with porcelain tile with a 1/2" wide grout joint. All over the patio, what I have been told is "calcium" deposits have oozed up through the grout, creating rock hard, very...

Dryer slow drying, terrible moldy smell [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an 8 year old whirlpool electric dryer that's been cantankerous for a while. It's taking a few dryer cycles to dry clothes, and it smells awful. Very bad. Like mold. I disassembled the whole thing last night and didn't find anything off - no lint blockages, the heating elements very...

Bad Rotting Smell in Bathroom Sink [ 3 Answers ]

In the apartment complex where I work, one of the apartments has a very bad rotting smell coming from the bathroom sink. I have tried chemicals and had lines water jetted with 180 psi. Checked vents and they are clear. Drains are clear and not plugged. Apartment complex is only 3 years old and...

View more questions Search