Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Slow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2004, 06:48 PM
    Trigonometric function
    Please, I don't understand vector. I don't know how to solve or use it. :'(

here are the question that I need help on.

1. Vector A points along the +y axis and has a magnitude of 100.00 units. Vector B points at an angle of 60.0 degrees above the + x axis and has a magnitude of 200.0 units. Vector C points along the +x axis and has a magnitude of 150.0 units. Which vector has the largest x component and the largest y component?

2. On takeoff, an airplane climbs with a speed of 180 m/s at an angle of 34 degrees above the horizontal. The speed and direction of the airplane constitute a vector quantity known as the velocity. The sun is shining directly overhead. How fast is the shadow of the plane moving along the ground? (that is, what is the magnitude of the hoizontal component if the plane's velocity?

3. You are on a treasure hunt and your map says "Walk due west for 52 paces, then walk 30.0 degree north of west for 42 paces, and finally walk due north for 25 paces." What is the magnitude of the component of your displacement in the direction due north and due west?

4. On safari , a team of naturalists sets out toward a research station located 4.9 km away in a direction 42 degrees north of east. After traveling in a straight line for 2.4 km, they stopand discover that they have been traveling 22 degrees north of east, because their guide misread his compass. What are the magnitude and the direction (relative to due east) of the displacement vector now required to bring the team to the research station?

5. A grasshopper makes four jumps. The displacement vectors are (1) 27.0 cm due west; (2) 23.0 cm, 35 degrees south of the west; (3) 28.0 cm, 55.0 degrees south of east; and (4) 35.0 cm, 63.0 degrees north of east. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement. Express the direction with respect to due west.

please help me. I don't know, I just don't get it even thou I read about this so many time. Just an idiot. Arghh.. :'( :'( :'(..
    I don't know how I'm going to do in this class soon.
    please help me.
    Thanks,
    Slow
    bcincal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
    physics-- vector solutions
    I see that your inquiry was some time ago, so maybe you got answers that are useful to you.
    Let's start with the concept of vector first. A vector is a force or motion in a specific direction. If you need to walk ten blocks due north to get to school, walking ten blocks east is not going to get you where you want to go.

Vectors can be combined for a net result. If for example, you walk four blocks due east, then walk three blocks due south, you have created the two legs of a right triangle whose hypoteneuse would be five blocks long. So-- five blocks would be the net distance between your starting point and your ending point, even though you walked seven blocks to get there.

Vectors can be analyzed-- broken down into x and y values on a set of cartesian co-ordinates. Your first problem-- A is straight along the y-axis. From this you know that its only value is its y value-- there is no x value.

Vector C points along the x axis-- it therefore has no y value.

Bector B points at an angle 60 degrees above the x axis, and extends for 200 units. You can measure how far it extends along both the x and y axes, or you can use trigonometry to calculate the values for x and y.
    The sine of this angle times the 200 units will produce the value for y;
    The cosine of this angle times the same 200 units will produce the value for x.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Out Function On [ 0 Answers ]

I've got a DVD drive and the PowerDVD 5.0 player and every time I try to watch a newer DVD, I get the error message "TV out function error", I look at the details and it says I can't play copyright protected DVD's with the TVout function enabled. The weird thing is, ALL my graphics adapters just...

Trigonometric ratios [ 1 Answers ]

Prove that (cot a+cosec a)^2=(1+cos a)/(1-cos a)

Math function in vb [ 1 Answers ]

For 'Non intrinsic mathematical function" which library I have to insert/use ?

View more questions Search