Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ray alarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Painting PVC electrical conduit.
    I am trying to paint gray pvc electrical conduit to match the color of the house. The house is painted with BEHR self-priming acrylic latex house paint for masonry, stucco, & brick. Is there a special primer for this project?:confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 10:23 PM

Hi, there are some primers that are specific for using on plastic and/or PVC materials. You can find some of them by clicking on the following link.

Paint Primer for Plastic PVC - Google Search

Just a regular latex or oil primer should also work, though, especially if you evenly roughen the surface first that is to be primed with some abrasive (sand) paper. A 120 or 150 grit paper should do the trick. If you use one below a 120 grit, then you might risk the paint job not looking all that good.

I hope that all goes well for you in this project!

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 10:27 AM

Clough nailed this one. Many paints will not stick to any type of vinyl which includes PVC and CPVC. A few years ago no vinyl primer was available as a spray but Krylon had a vinyl paint. I used that paint as a primer and then top coated with my house paint. Rust-oleum and others now have a inexpensive spray primer for vinyl. Rust-Oleum 223837 Primer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I prevent water/condensation from entering electrical conduit? [ 4 Answers ]

One of my circuit breakers started tripping last Friday night. It would trip even when I wasn't using the electrical outlets or lights. Since it wasn't an overloading issue, I replaced the circuit breaker but that didn't solve the problem. So, I concluded it has to be a short circuit. I checked...

Running two wires through electrical conduit [ 4 Answers ]

I want to supply power to run some power tools and shop lights out in my detached garage which has no electricity at all right now. I want to run two separate circuits and I'm using a buried electrical conduit with the wires inside. Since it's two separate circuits do I need two conduits or can I...

Electrical conduit behind sheetrock [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a consultant to the NYC School Construction authority. We usually inspect low-voltage applications for temperature controls and the associated equipment. Typically, whenever we see a thermostat in the wall, it has a j-box and conduit running from the box to the drop ceiling, and the...

Can I run a electrical line in the same conduit as phone and cable? [ 9 Answers ]

Aloha All, I built a little 8'x12' office that is approximately 185ft from my main house. I was planning on running a electric, phone, and cable line in an underground conduit from my house to the office. Can I just use 20A romex for the electrical line that will be tapped off an exterior...

Electrical conduit lets in cold air from outside [ 5 Answers ]

The 2" plastic condiut that feeds electrical lines from the circuit panel (unconditioned garage) to the attic and basement is essentially a clear path from the unconditioned attic to the basement. This allows freezing air to flow in from the attic to the basement. I would like to stop this airflow...

View more questions Search