Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klsvobod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Double Insurance
    I have a question about having double insurance. I have my own health insurance through my employer. My husband has his through his employer. I am thinking of adding my husband to my insurance. In the next 4-5 years he will probably have to have a kidney transplant because of a genetic disease he has. I am thinking having double insurance when this happens would be a good idea. Do you think this is a good idea or would I just be wasting my money. I anticipate a transplant will be costly and I am trying to think ahead.

Please advice.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 05:53 PM

You know, it really depends on the two insurances... And what you are doing... For instance. I know some insurances that have to be used as the primary and some that aren't allowed to be used as the secondary. So, if you have two that have to be used as the primary then it won't work. Some places won't even let you use more than one insurance. I think this is something that needs to be looked into at the source: Call customer service at both insurances and find these things out, and if nothing else switch to the better one, the one that has the lowest copays and such. Hope I helped.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 08:03 PM

There is probably a clause in both policies defining who pays for what, and under which circumstances. I doubt very much that there will be any double payment. Also, it is very difficult to predict what insurance will be like that far ahead considering the changes the politicians are proposing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 08:13 PM

Many people will have two, one will be considered the primary, it will pay first, and then the other will pay on the balance after its deductables and co pays
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 12:08 PM

Another possible consideration might be what will be covered... if he knows he has this condition that will most likely result in the need for a transplant, it would be wise to determine what would be deemed pre-existing and what wouldn't. Always read the small print!
    fuzzys Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 05:20 PM

Your insurance may not cover anything if you add him, given that this is a pre-existing condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double medical insurance coverage [ 7 Answers ]

Is it illegal to have double coverage medical insurance. For example; can one person have two Kaiser plans so they don't have to pay any copays?

S it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Is it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance

Double Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.mi wife and I have double insurance, we would like to cancel one of them. Her insurance end in December and mine in April.there is something we can do?

Double yet Separate Medical Insurance Coverages [ 1 Answers ]

I have double medical insurance coverage. Primary for me is an HMO and secondary a PPO. My wife has just the opposite, PPO primary and HMO secondary. Can anyone provide me with the specifics on how I go about billing, paying, etc with this coverage. I get so many conflicting answers not sure I...

Double Health Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal to be covered by more than one health insurance policy? Right now I am covered be an HMO. Because of the care I am receiving (or lack of care I am receiving), I would like to also be covered under another insurance policy to see different doctors. However, I do not want to give up...

View more questions Search