Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanc1430 Posts: 106, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
    How long should it take to clean a new construction home that is 2500 sq ft?
    Hi Clough and Stringer,
    Could someone please give me a rough idea as to how long it might take to clean a new construction home? I have one that is 2500 sq ft and not sure if I'm fast or half fast.
    I know there are different circumstances that makes every place different but the adverage is about how many hours?
    I just need to know if my fast isn't fast enough.
    The construction crew is in there for the rough clean and it's a nightmare. Seems to me that there is a better way to do this. I'm only concentrating on the windows as far as removing the stickers, mud etc. Then I am doing inside around the windows for the mud and paint.
    After all that is done, the painter comes and seals the seams and paints. Then I have to take off the paint as well as clean the windows again.
    Anything you can suggest would be helpful.
    I know it's about 60% of the job but there has to be a little better way.
    Thanks
    nanc1430
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 01:35 AM

Hi, nanc1430!

I'm going to let Stringer know about your question. This isn't really one of the topic areas where either he or I frequent on a regular basis.

I just happened to come across your question by accident.

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Don't know if we are being used or not!
    Hi Chris,
    Just found out now that we might be doing more than we are suppose to.
    Most of the window cleaners that I talked to are only doing the windows once after all the sealing and painting has been done. We are cleaning off the window frames that have mud on the edges so they can be sealed and painted after. We are then going back after they seal and paint them to do the windows again for the final. I would like to know if the people that are installing the windows and putting the mud around them are suppose to be cleaning them off. It looks like they are only taking a rag when the mud is wet and running around the edges leaving a lot on there for us to do. Some of the windows are 15 feet high and to do them twice is a little much. If you could find out about this, that would be great.
    Another thing that bothers me is why is this full of mud? Where are they getting this from?
    Maybe they are filling the cracks around the windows with the mud first to save money and then after go over and seal them a little after. Can't think of anything else it would be used for.
    Thanks
    Nanc
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 17, 2008, 12:59 PM

Are they letting the windows sit on the ground at the jobsite before they install them, or is their scaffolding or hoist eqipment muddy? Seems like you could just give them a once over with a spray from a hose before they are painted unless the mud just smears around. You definitely should be getting twice what they pay to clean up once though.

Oct 17, 2008, 01:08 PM

After I typed that last I remembered there is a kind of glaziers putty that is sort of a dull red that would be covered with the primer paint. That isn't what you are referrring to, is it?

Oct 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Thank you for responding.
    When they put the windows in, they caulk or seal behind them. After that, it looks like regular construction mud around the frames of the windows. (not regular dirt, mud)
    What ever they use, I would think the person putting them would be responsible for this.
    It looks like they took a rag to clean around them but didn't get it all off. It would be so much easier to get it off while it's still wet. There is quit a bit left of after it dries so we have to take a detail brush to get this off before they seal and paint the windows. Then we go back to the windows to get all the paint off and clean them.
    We are spending so much time with the windows that we can't make any money doing the job. Something just doesn't seem right. We have to be doing something we are not suppose to be doing. I wish I knew more on this subject. Trial and error doesn't seem to be cutting it hour wise. Maybe it's to fill in the woodin frames around the windows so it meets. Either way, I thought each person was responsible for his own mess and not all left for the cleaning company. If windows were separate and we got enough to do them, I could see but rough clean and final are one price.
    Thank you
    Nanc

Oct 18, 2008, 11:27 AM

This must be the reason so many just say, we don't do windows!

Oct 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
    That makes sense!
    I'm beginning to see why.
    Thanks
    Nanc
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 02:50 AM

Hi, nanc1430!

I hope that you are doing well!

I did notice your question here a number of days ago. You had mentioned Chris. If this was directed at me, my name is Craig. Or, did you mean someone else, please? I don't normally look at this section of the site.

I do note that you've already received a very fine response to your question.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Sorry Craig,
    That was a late night mistake. I have been working a lot lately and had two back to back cleanings. One was 24 hours.
    I couldn't turn down an emergency cleaning but then had to go back to the construction site to finish up on the final. They were coming in to inspect it that morning.
    Hope all is fine with you.
    Thanks
    Nanc
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nanc1430 View Post
    Sorry Craig,
    That was a late night mistake. I have been working a lot lately and had two back to back cleanings. One was 24 hours.
    I couldn't turn down an emergency cleaning but then had to go back to the construction site to finish up on the final. They were coming in to inspect it that morning.
    Hope all is fine with you.
    Thanks
    nanc
    Thanks!

That's okay. I hope that all is well with you and that your business is flourishing! :)

Oct 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Price of a post construction re-clean
    Hi all!
    Does anyone out there know the going rate is for a re-clean?

That's when you do the rough clean and final clean and then have to go back in because the contractors were there doing extra work.

I am doing my first tomorrow and would like an idea of what the going rate would be before I bill them.

Thanks
    nanc1430
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 08:25 PM

Good evening Nanc, how are you?

Since you have completed two clean ups already, I would go for a "time and materials" proposal now with this client. You can't always get this but it is better for you.

Compile your "loaded" rate per hour (remember; labor, taxes, profit, etc) then keep track of your supplies, equipment, etc and then invoice accordingly. You should give the client an approximate total number of hours to complete the job and your supplies/equipment total should be approximately 10% of your total loaded labor.

If they only want a total price then I would ask you to please be more descriptive in exactly what has to be done this time. Example; is there now a lot of dust that is thrown around because the duct work had heavy dust and the systems are now on? Is this THE FINAL CLEAN UP, if so is this clean up a "ready to move in" final? That would mean a lot of detail cleaning; blinds, dust walls, washrooms, vacuuming, any built in counters, (sometimes it means inside drawers and cabinets), inside of windows (outside too?), etc. Ask them if this is final move in cleaning or is there more construction expected?

Stringer

Oct 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Hi Stringer,
    Have been so busy that I haven't been able to get on.
    We worked a 24 hour clean the other day for two different cleans
    I hope this means we are on our way but don't know for sure.
    I explained in my question that it was a re-clean of the final clean.
    Meaning this house was a custom home we finished. The customer wasn't satisfied with some of the contractors work and had him go back in to redo certain things . (I won't know what it is until tomorrow and we get there) I have to go back in to do a re-clean and thought there was a set price for doing this.
    Since we don't know what it involves until we get there, would it be all right to estimate how long it will take us and go by that price? We will probably have to charge a little more because it's 45 min away.
    What do you think?
    Thanks
    nanc1430

Oct 22, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Sorry Stringer I didn't get a chance ask you how you were doing.
    I had people over here and was pretty busy at the time.
    I just wanted to say thanks for replying but I guess I didn't explain my question correctly.
    What do you think about charging them by the man hour? I won't let them know how I charge but thought this would be better and then add a little for the trip back over there.
    Thanks
    nanc1430
    Business Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 09:40 PM

You can tell the contractor that you presently have no idea what has to be done, they should understand that. You don't know what condition the place is in now.

Yes, I would go for time and materials and just add the travel time into you hourly rate and don't mention it, it would only be detrimental in their view.

Have you worked out a loaded hourly rate as yet? You should and I am sure that you will find reason to use it in the future also. And it will be a quick reference for bidding that will help you put your pricing together.

If they insist upon a total price then tell them that you have to survey the job first to actually see what needs done. That is only fair and they should understand that. How in the h*ll (pardone') can they expect you to bid BLIND? Don't, you will get scr... d.

Sorry for being blunt, it has been a very long day of stress...

Oct 23, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Thanks.
    I will probably work out an hourly rate, charge for travel and add on 7% more for supplies.
    Hope you have a better day today.
    nanc1430
    Business Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nanc1430 View Post
    Thanks.
    I will probably work out an hourly rate, charge for travel and add on 7% more for supplies.
    Hope you have a better day today.
    nanc1430
    Thank you Nanc, you too.:)

Nov 4, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Just to say thanks to Clough and Stringer
    Thank you both very much for the information you gave and help.
    I have been pretty busy right now and have not had much time for the computer.
    I am taking your suggestion, Stringer and going with the office cleanings and doing residential cleaning right now to get a set figure coming in each week. Then I will expand and do the others as they come. Hopefully I can get some steady residential cleanings out of the holiday special I am running right now. Chris, I wanted to say thanks to you for helping me with the sites. I took your suggestion and I am working to spread my name out in all directions.
    I will be on again soon but wanted to say thanks to both of you.
    Nanc
    Business Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 09:55 PM

Nanc, you are very welcome my dear, I wish you much success in your business. Thank you for saying this.

You said "chris" but I think you may have meant Clough... right? I am sure he is glad also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submitting a bid for a home construction clean-up. [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to submit a bid for a exclusive large home, construction clean. I do not know how to write one to submit. I have an idea on the charge, but any points would help. Thank you

Home construction [ 3 Answers ]

I built a room 12 x 24 inside a steel building 40 x 60 I want to anchor it to the floor with a remington nail gun how far apart do I shoot between every stud or every other I also didn't use pressure treated wood for bottom plate to concrete is that a problem (to late now)didn't think

Construction Clean up [ 1 Answers ]

I have started a construction cleanup company and I want to know how do I estimate? Is it by the spuare feet or by the hour

Post Construction Clean Up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! Good Day to all of you!I just started doing my post construction clean up and as of now I do subcontracting from other company,and now I talk to one builder and he is asking me to give him my bid.Can anyone help me please.I am living here in Toronto,Canada.thanks and have a good day!

View more questions Search