Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gina4749 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Fever Following a Wisdom Tooth Extraction
    I had a wisdom tooth extracted this Monday. Starting Tuesday, a fever started to develop. I was put on Amoxicillin after the surgery, so I was happy that I was taking it in case of any infection problems. The infection is now lingering today (Saturday morning). I have no real pain except for a headache when my fever is up (to 101.1-highest). I was unable to get to the dentist yesterday because of transportation problems. Do you think that I should have him change the antibiotic today over the phone, since I can not see him until Monday?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 06:16 AM

Are you taking anything for your fever like Tylenol? Are you sure the infection is from your extraction?

Oct 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I spoke today with the dental surgeon and based on my symptoms, we feel it is probably a virus. I had a very rough surgery. I take carbocaine because novacaine makes me jittery. The carbocaine did very little to anesthetize the area. The tooth was also imbedded into the bone, so to say the least, the pain was severe. I took antibiotics when I went home which I know can further lower the immune system. So I've had a fever for four days now with chills and a generalized ill feeling. I only hope I get better soon.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Oct 19, 2008, 11:50 AM

Amox kills pretty much everything, but you never know... if the actually surgical site is infected, along with the fevel/crappy feeling, you should have pain, swelling, and perhaps a bad taste in the actual site

Oct 25, 2008, 06:20 AM
    My dentist took a post op x-ray and everything was clear. My medical doctor was consulted and she determined that I had a sinus infection and gave me a new antibiotic. So far, the new antibiotic seems to be helping a little. My focus is now a medical one in that I have to heal my sinuses. I have had sinus problems related to allergies, could this wisdom tooth have been causing my sinus problems to be worse? It seems that the tooth may have had something to do with my sinuses since an infection followed the tooth extraction.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 08:19 AM

I'm not really sure. I guess it's a possibility if it was an upper wisdom tooth with root tips near the sinus that was removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tired, Dizzy and Down after Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 11 Answers ]

I had my upper wisdom tooth extracted last Monday (17/03) under a local anaesthetic, following nearly a week of intense pain which my friend, a dentist, initially thought was due to an abscess of or peridonitis. Before it was found to be tooth decay (he did not x-ray my teeth as he was on holiday...

AGONY with wisdom teeth extraction-is it ever going to end? [ 4 Answers ]

Got 3 wisdom teeth out on march 29th. I have been to my oral surgeon 5 times since my first follow up a few days after my surgery because of increasing pain. The first time I went he said I was fine, even though I told him that I had been in complete pain, he sent be home with a syringe to irrigate...

Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Can I Use A Straw? [ 7 Answers ]

First thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out. I feel bad calling my dentist to ask such a simple question he probably told me the answer to when I was still not all the way there. My two upper wisdom teeth were pulled 5 days ago in a simple extraction. Both had...

Fever after tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

On Tuesday (9/2) I had my upper left wisdom tooth removed. The next day I finished the amoxocillian that was prescribed the Thursday before when I started having symptoms. On Thursday in the morning I woke up feeling sluggish, with body pain and chills. Since Thursday (four days) I have been...

Tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

A little over three years ago when I was prgnant with my daughter one of my fillings came out and I never had it fixed, over the past two months it has got much worse and now I can't bear the pain, I made a trip to the dentist today to see if they could pull it and he said that the x ray showed a...

View more questions Search