Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grits533 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 06:22 AM
    I have a computer I bought used and cannot logon to windows
    I need help in logging on to a used computer I bought on eBay. I turn it on and I cannot log on to windows as I do not know what the previous users password was. How do I set it up to long on.
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Oct 11, 2008, 06:27 AM

Did you get the windows instlation disk with the computer?

You have to do a fresh install of windows.
    grits533 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Install disk
    I do not have the install disk
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 09:15 AM

If the system is healthy and the only issue you have is that you don't know/forgot your logon password, you may be fine. You WILL need a Windows XP CD, so if you don't don't have one that matches the version on your computer, you will need to buy a copy or borrow one long enough to try this:

I Forgot My Administrator Password!
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Oct 11, 2008, 07:21 PM

Please explain why you need an installation disk. Include information about the Service Pack level you have upgraded to, the computer make and model and what problem(s) you are having that make you think you need installation media. Someone might be able to identify a way you can manage without one.

Many manufacturers include a mechanism for burning installation media if removable installation media isn't included with the computer when it was originally sold. Use of such provisions as soon as you are able to acquire the necessary recordable media is a good idea.

If your Operating System came with the computer (typical) contact your computer's manufacturer.

If you purchased a boxed "Full" or upgrade version and have the installation key check with Microsoft.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 07:39 PM

I do not have the install disk
    As mentioned, to what? What are you trying to do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2008, 07:58 PM

I've merged your two threads. You need to post an answer to the thread not start a new one if you need follow-up.
    Matteus Posts: 199, Reputation: 18

Oct 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

I suggest to try pressing the F8 key during the boot of windows XP. It will show you a menu where you can choose to load the windows in Safe Mode. Normally, after the windows starts up, there will be 2 (or more) user profiles, and one of them is the administrator. Hopefully its password is left blank, and you can login as an administrator. After that, you can create another user from the users icon in the control panel.
    tracer357 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
    I suggest you contact the seller from e-bay and have him/her give you the password so you can log on and change the password.
    Also try logging on in safe mode and see if you can make changes there.
    Also when you contact the seller ask them for a disk for your PC.
    Also try this when the password window comes up type in "user: "guest"
    And hit enter maybe you can get on that way
    Other than that you might have to do a full install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp logon screen problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Well, I was using windows xp media centre (sp2) for several days, but it was not original, so I had to activate them. I tried to download a crack from the internet to kill wga and I installed it. I suspected that it was a virus (as it turned out to be) but it was already too late. Now,...

Bought used computer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I got a used computer and I can not sign on. The password the guy gave me dos not work. Thank you Caren

Windows Logon Screen [ 3 Answers ]

I used to have my logon screen so that the turn off computer button wasn't there. But I had to get it all reset and now the turn off computer button is there and I can't remember how I got it to go away before. Anyone know how?

Windows 98 logon [ 3 Answers ]

Hopefully this is a fairly simple question to answer but I've just never gotten around to asking it before. When I start up Windows 98 on some computers it goes straight in and I can start using it. When I start it on other computers however I have to log in. How do I turn off this need to log...

View more questions Search