Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimjewkes Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Can I Use A Straw?
    First thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out. I feel bad calling my dentist to ask such a simple question he probably told me the answer to when I was still not all the way there.

My two upper wisdom teeth were pulled 5 days ago in a simple extraction. Both had fully emerged and neither were impacted.

There was very little swelling and almost no pain, they are healing up really well. I was told not to use a straw because it could cause a dry socket.

Avoiding straws is such a pain in the butt! Can anyone tell me if it's safe to start drinking from a straw or if I should wait some more days?

Thanks,
    Kim
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 12:54 PM

I would definitely wait a while longer! You don't want to rush it and cause yourself anymore pain than you've already been through.

Oct 15, 2008, 01:21 PM

I've been reading some places that 48-72 hours is good enough, but other places say 14 days!

Hah, it's frustrating. I don't know what to believe!
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Oct 15, 2008, 01:54 PM

I got my wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago.. and I couldn't use straws for a week or so.. it's as long as your stitches are still in

I forgot that I couldn't use a straw and when I did it was excruciating!! Don't try it for a while!!

Oct 15, 2008, 02:02 PM

Okay cool.

I've taken tiny sips with a straw over the past few days and have been fine (mostly just when taking vitamins or pills).

I just called and checked with my dentist and he said I am fine to drink with a straw after 3 days.

It probably depends on the extraction, but mine was VERY simple. I don't have any stitches or any problems.

Thanks for your replies!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 06:29 PM

If you don't have any stitches and you were able to take tiny sips and you were okay, I'd say you can do the straw thing with no problems. Just don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol as that will definitely delay your healing. I've had a lot of teeth pulled in my time and I never had any problems with straws from day one and I healed very quickly after I stopped smoking cigarettes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 06:35 PM

But what is so hard about not using a straw, I never use them

Oct 17, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But what is so hard about not using a straw, I never use them
    Haha, I work in a warehouse with a lot of dust and crap, so when I bring a drink back, it's soooo good to be able to just leave the lid on and drink through the straw... instead of taking off the lid to drink every time.

It's been a week since I had my teeth pulled now and every since my dentist said I was okay to use a straw, I've been doing it no problem.

I don't really know how to tell when this is healed. It hasn't felt much different since the first day after I had them pulled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering, by what age do your wisdom teeth usually come in? I'm not worried about it or anything, just curious. I'm 23 and mine haven't started to come in at all, but some of my friends have already had to have theirs pulled. What about people on here? What age were you when...

Tired, Dizzy and Down after Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 11 Answers ]

I had my upper wisdom tooth extracted last Monday (17/03) under a local anaesthetic, following nearly a week of intense pain which my friend, a dentist, initially thought was due to an abscess of or peridonitis. Before it was found to be tooth decay (he did not x-ray my teeth as he was on holiday...

Wisdom teeth [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual cost to remove wisdom teeth?

AGONY with wisdom teeth extraction-is it ever going to end? [ 4 Answers ]

Got 3 wisdom teeth out on march 29th. I have been to my oral surgeon 5 times since my first follow up a few days after my surgery because of increasing pain. The first time I went he said I was fine, even though I told him that I had been in complete pain, he sent be home with a syringe to irrigate...

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

View more questions Search