Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mro413 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Shower arm pipe stuck!
    I am trying to change the showerhead and discovered that the current showerhead has a ball tip not threads. I bought a new shower arm pipe with threads on both sides but can't get the old arm pipe out! Any tips or tricks for removing a pipe that is stuck? I can't seem to get a good grip with my regular wrench or strapwrench.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 5, 2005, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mro413
    I am trying to change the showerhead and discovered that the current showerhead has a ball tip not threads. I bought a new shower arm pipe with threads on both sides but can't get the old arm pipe out! Any tips or tricks for removing a pipe that is stuck? I can't seem to get a good grip with my regular wrench or strapwrench.

I use a 14" pipe wrench and a few well chosen cuss words. Since you're changing out the shower arm anyway don't worry about digging into the chrome with the wrench jaws. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 5, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Soften it up a little with a hammer. Work you way around it hitting it as near as you can to the wall without marring the part of the wall that will show outside the little cover. Don't drive it against ceramic tile. Also apply a penetrating oil or other oil. Impact will help the oil wick into the joint. If it still doesn't yield, cut it off before the bend and hammer it directly toward the wall. You can heat it with a torch, and then quench it with cold water.
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

May 6, 2005, 10:36 AM
    Hold on there! Woe!!
    Hit it with a what?? Excuse me. Lets just take this a step at a time okay. If you have a trim plate carefully remove it. If it is caulked in place, take a razor knife and cut it away from the caulking then if it doesn’t pull away take a pair of tin snips and cut in half and get it out of your way. Now you can see where the arm goes into the female fitting, right? No? If the shower arm is buried in cement you will need to take a small chisel (about a standard flat screwdriver size) and chisel away about an 1/8th inch at a time. Easy does it especially if you have to remove a little tile. Don't go after any big chunks, just work your way around until you can see the connection? Okay now you can see the connection and you have it cleaned off. Now you can use some penetrating fluid to lubricate it. Easy now that stuff reeks. Get a few drops right where you need it and take a 10-minute break. Your home right? Browse the Internet. Whoops you spent 2 hours browsing, no problem it just keeps penetrating. Okay you put your channel locks or 14" pipe wrench on there, both at the same time on oposite sides of the arm are best because you wont be as likely to put pressure on the arm wrong. Okay it came right out right? No? You snapped it off at the threads? Oh no! Don't worry, but you will need to get a hold of an easy out and there is only one kind I suggest for this instance. It is called a 1/2" Internal Pipe Wrench.
    It is easy to use and 100% effective in my experience. When you put your new shower arm in be sure to use teflon tape or pipe dope or both. Do not apply pipe dope to inside of fitting, only to the outside of the shower arm and do not get it inside of the arm. Other than that you should be good to go. Click back here if you have any questions. Oh by the way I tried to include a picture of the internal pipe wrench for your convienence. You can probably guess how it works by the picture. The more you turn the bolt on top the further the slots protrude, gripping the inside of the shower arm. Hopefully you won't even need it. Good luck. Darrel
    Attached Images

oasysco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Thanks to the guy who provided the pointer to the 1/2" Internal pipe wrench easy-out. $8 at my local HW storage and along with a pipe wrench for leverage the broken off piece of pipe came out of the elbow joint just fine, rotating counter-clockwise to loosen. Counting the easy-out, shower arm and new shower head, I'm only out $30 instead of the $150-200 it would have cost me to have a plumber do this.

Now, I have to repair the wall when it dries out enough to do so.

Thanks,
    Greg
    golferrr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I'm having a similar problem replacing a showerhead except I'm trying to get the balltip off. Try as I may, I cannot loosen the nut holding the balltip. Any suggestions for loosening that nut?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Hi golferrr and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 7 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    Any suggestions for loosening that nut?
    Just put some muscle into it. These are brass /chrome to brass/ chrome threads and should unscrew. If you still can't get the nut off simply remove the shower arm, (see image) and install the new shower head on that. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stem stuck [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I am trying to replace washer on the bottom of a stem because shower leaks. It's not hot or cold, but on/off handle in the middle. Anyway, I bought the tool to get the packing nut off, but now I can't budge the stem. Is there a trick to it? Maybe I don't have enough strength in my hands. ...

Pipe added to shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. This is my preliminary question about this nightmare of a shower we live with! Any insight would be appreciated. Sympathy is nice too. We have a fiberglass shower stall on the second story of the house. The drain sits higher than the floor of the shower leaving a constant puddle, even...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower Pipe Drips When Shower Head is Removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I keep buying new hand held showers heads that leak from the hose. I buy Delta brand. After I installed a new one yesterday, it started leaking from the hose again. Today I took off the entire shower head and see that from the pipe that comes out from the wall, it drips water at a pretty...

Shower drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Guys , Need some advice. I am remodeling my bathroom, have removed the tub and walls and will install a shower only on the cement pad. The cement around the old drain pipe has never been filled in, which I guess is normal, however I need to extend the pipe to the center of my shower and...

View more questions Search