Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiyarika Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
    What is the general relationship between wavelength and wave speed? How does water mo
    What is the general relationship between wavelength and wave speed? How does water movement in a wave change with depth?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 01:38 PM

Do you have any ideas? I'd love to hear those first.
    Kiyarika Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    Do you have any ideas? I'd love to hear those first.
    Speed of a wave is a property of the medium. Changing the speed actually requires a change in the medium itself. If medium does not change as a wave travels, the wave speed is constant.

Wavelength is the distance between identical points

That's about it, id appreciate any help
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiyarika View Post
    speed of a wave is a property of the medium. changing the speed actually requires a change in the medium itself. if medium does not change as a wave travels, the wave speed is constant.

wavelength is the distance between identical points

thats about it, id appreciate any help
    What you've said is correct, however there are situations where the wavespeed might change, for instance if light enters from air into a glass block, or if a sound wave moves upwards in our atmosphere where it is less dense. If the wave slowed down, what would you expect to happen to the wavelength?

The water wave question is a little more involved. Have you been taught about the way that water molecules move to create water waves? How do you expect a single water molecule on the surface to move when waves are propagating through a pool?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring from General Journal to the General Ledger [ 1 Answers ]

When transferring from the General Journal to the General Ledger which cash items do you transfer .:confused:

Relationship between Mass and Speed. [ 8 Answers ]

What is the formula for how much mass increase there is based on how fast an item is moving? Example: If an object of "X"lbs mass at rest is moving at "Y"mph, what is it's mass at that speed? Thanks! Edit 10/10/05: See http://www.jackson8.com/science/relativisticmass.html

The reversing entry in the general journal and posting it to the general ledger [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I need to know How I can post reversing etry in to the general ledger ? For example if I have The business last paid a water bill in May, which was for 3 months of water expense up to the end of April. The additional accrual entry for water expense for the last two months is $2,290. And I...

Relationship between Mass and Speed [ 5 Answers ]

What is the connection or relationship between mass of a ball and the speed it travels down a ramp?

General Ledger versus General Journal [ 1 Answers ]

Does the number of entries in the general journal equal the number of entries in the general ledger. Why?

View more questions Search