Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirby2008 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Running water noise in pipes
    I have lived in my house for 30 years. About 2 months ago I started noticing a running water sound in house. I checked all outlets and everything off and no leaks. I checked my water meter and it is the kind with the small black triangle that is very sensitive. It was no moving. My water bill has not changed, and no water in house or outside around house or any other signs of leaking. I called my water dept and they have not changed pressure and my water meter is good. The sound of running water only goes away when I turn all water off in house at main cutoff. My house is one story, on a slab, hot water heater is old (22 yrs) in attached garage. I have also turned off each sink and toilet one at a time to see if there was a leak in that area. NO change in sound. The sound was the loudest in my shower stall. I tore out wall behind shower to see all plumbing, because it sounded like it was running in wall. Everything dry. I am stumped--any thought? Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Hi Kirby,
    Interesting problem.
    The sound was the loudest in my shower stall
    Since vibration and noise go together what pipe or pipes are vibrating the strongest?
    I have to ask; Are you sure the little triangle in the meter moves when you make a draw? Describe the noise. Water running under pressure? Water draining out somewhere? Let me know about the vibration. Good luck, Tom

Oct 7, 2008, 12:48 PM

The sound is strongest in the shower stall. The triangle on water meter moves as soon as a very small amount of water is turned on. I checked it by turning on faucet outside while I was watching it. The noise sounds like water is turned on in another room of house. It sounds a little like water under pressure. Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 02:27 PM

Kirby, let me congratulate you on your 22 year old heater, the next one will not last as long I am afraid. Your issue is interesting and I wonder if the noise is 24/7 or just every so often. If it is every so often try closing all stop ms under your toilets to see if you have a leaky ballcock. Shot in the dark but a start.

Oct 9, 2008, 04:50 AM

The noise is constant and I already tried the stops on toliets and sinks and nothing changes the noise. I am wondering if the guts inside a shower faucet can go bad and cause this noise. It all started with a leak in the shower which is now fixed.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2008, 05:41 AM
    I know you sahut off the stops to thetoilets but did you ever pull the lid on the tanks and check inside while the noise was going? Just shooting in the dark, here. Something's got to be running somewhere to make the noise. Weird! You have the solund of water under pressure yet the meter pointer's not moving. Very strange! Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 07:09 AM

Do you have hot water circulating pump on your system ?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Thanks Milo for picking up on something I missed. That would explain the sound of running water with the meternot moving. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Water pipes making noise? [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet when it just starts to finish filling my water pipe from the main in basement to house starts a howling or humming vibration. What can cause this and how do I fix it. We just moved into the house and it really is bothersome. Thanks

Noise water pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Before it turned cold the noise only happened when the toilet STOPPED Now the noise is when I shut off a spigot, NOT as bad as the toilet HAMMERING but still there I tried turnng on the floor frnace to heat under the house & pipes I think somewhere AIR is in the pipes Once when the city changed...

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

View more questions Search