Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spot1162 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Dual residency NY/CT Re: drivers license and taxes
    I am curently a NY resident, my husband is contemplating relocating to CT. I know that CT does not allow the type of drivers license I have so I am planning on maintaing my NY license, what is required to do so and how does that affect how we file our taxes?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2008, 05:52 AM
    What type of driver's license do you have that CT won't provide?

If you move and do not report the change to NYS DMV that would be fraud.
    spot1162 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the prompt reply, I want everything to be legal, I have a bioptic license. I have confirmed that CT will not license me. My husband a number of years ago maintained a part time residence in NY while mainly living in OH. All he had to do was to live for 2 consecutive weeks in the part time location as well as receive mail there. Can you confirm is this still true?

Vicki.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Vicki:

Your last question is a LEGAL question, not a tax question, and should be posted in the LAW forum.

That said, a phone call to the NY Department of Taxation should get you an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

Dual residency pertaining custody & child support and also income taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently living in Nevada. I am getting ready to move to California. I will still work in Nevada 3 days a week and live in California 4 days a week. I want to file with the family court in California for a court order for custody and child support for my 8 month old daughter. Can I...

Military drivers license [ 1 Answers ]

How do you convert a military drivers license into a commercial drivers license?

Drivers license [ 1 Answers ]

What states don't utilize the national drive registry? I.E. - is there a state that will give me drivers license while I have a 10 year old D.U.I. probation violation warrant?

What constitutes dual residency for Taxes in CA and DC? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a CA congressman, grew up and went to college in CA, vote in CA, and live in DC. My state taxes are paid to CA, but apparently I have to file a DC state tax return because I live there year-round and was paid a small amount for work I did in DC separate from my duties on a congressional...

View more questions Search