Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frank Rice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Thinset thickness
    Can thinset be applied too thick so as to cause a problem with cracking tile?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:07 PM

Yes, thinset should be set with a notched trowel that is dictated by the size/type of your tile. If thinset is too thick it will take a very long time to cure and cracking tiles can result when you walk on the tile. How big is your tile, what type?

Oct 2, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yes, thinset should be set with a notched trowel that is dictated by the size/type of your tile. If thinset is too thick it will take a very long time to cure and cracking tiles can result when you walk on the tile. How big is your tile, what type?
    The "tile" is actually travertine stone--cut to fit over a wood curb. The approximate length and wide of the cut stone is 6" x 10"

Oct 2, 2008, 06:20 PM

I would use a 1/4x1/4 notched trowel

Oct 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I would use a 1/4x1/4 notched trowel
    The thinset has been applied in thicknesses as much as 3/4" thick. It is these areas that the travertine stone has cracked and buckled. I'm just exploring ideas as to "cause and effect."

Oct 3, 2008, 08:56 AM

If that job was done by a pro you have recourse, it was improperly laid. Thinset means THIN set and I have never heard of anyone laying tile on 3/4". If more height were needed the sub floor should have been built higher before laying the tile.

Oct 3, 2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks for your time... I appreciate your help.
    icreatables Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Yes. Thinset should be the depth of the notched trowel you are using. The article what is thinset on icreatables.com states that up to 8" tiles use a 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" notched trowel. This will cover 90 sq. ft. of floor and tile. 8" to 12" tiles - 1/4" x 3/8" x 3/8" notched trowel. This will cover 60 sq. ft. of floor and tile. 12" or larger tiles - 1/2" notched trowel. This will cover 60 sq. ft. of floor and tile. 12" x 1/2" notched trowel. This will cover 45 sq. ft. of floor and tile.

Thanks.
    jefferson17 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
    The thinset has been applied in thicknesses as much as 3/4" thick. It is these areas that the travertine stone has cracked and buckled. I'm just exploring ideas as to "cause and effect."

Travertine is a fairly soft stone. Natural stone isn't quite like other tiles. It requires a higher standard of allowed deflection - L/720 - actually twice that of ceramic tile.

So ... essentially if there is any "give" underneath, your stone tile will crack. This is why most stone installations require 3/4 plywood PLUS an additional 1/2". BUT... stone tile has no clue what is under it - all it knows is if it bends at all, it'll break. So there are the "standard" ways to get the job done, and then there is whatever will actually work.

Our master bath uses a combination of 3/8" travertines on the walls and another soft multi-colored stone called mocha onyx for the floor - also 3/8". We only had room for a single layer of 3/4" plywood. So we sistered all the joists underneath, and added additional vertical supports along the joists to provide a very low deflection. For only an additional 1/8" Wedi subliner dry provides anti-fracture protection from any cracks below, from transferring upwards.

If your thinset is too thick, then that could be a problem. But IF the area UNDER that thinset is too flexible then that is a real issue. You could TRY using an antifracture membrane like Wedi or Ditra. IF that solves it then you are pretty lucky. If not... your ONLY way to stop cracking is to reinforce the floor underneath so that it doesn't give.

GOOD LUCK!
    jefferson17 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Oh... and YES - if the thinset is too thick then it can shrink up and... cracked tiles. If you are lucky then that is your root cause. It's easier to fix that then stuff down below.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2012, 11:04 PM
    Welcome jefferson

This post is over 4 years old. Check date in top left corner to answer current posts.

Thanks

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No thinset below Hardie Backer [ 2 Answers ]

I installed 1800 sf of 1/2" Hardie backer, I first used self leveler in many area's to eliminate uneven surfaces. I then screwed the backer board down every six inches over the self leveler and 3/4" plywood. I was unable to put thinset down because it would have prohibited me from opening entrance...

Thinset versus mastic [ 34 Answers ]

I was told to return an all purpose 3 gal tub of mastic that Lowe's guy recommended for inside alcove shower/tub ceiling 3x5 area.. Should I use unmodified thinset mortar?. I am using 6x6 porcelain tile on 3/8 hardibacker screwed to the ceiling and 9" surround at the top of an acrylic wall/ tub...

ThinSet Premix or Powder? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to tile a small bathroom floor. Is the premixed thin set as good as mixing the powder up? Thanks

Removing Thinset from Concrete Floor Slab [ 2 Answers ]

I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling...

Can thinset be sanded off plywood? [ 3 Answers ]

I've removed old tile and hardibacker from my plywood subfloor. There is still some thinset stuck to the plywood. Since we are installing hardwood in this location, it needs to be smooth. Can the thinset be sanded? Any particular type of paper recommended? Thanks!

View more questions Search