Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brister501 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Stop my cat from scratching walls
    Hi there. I am planning to move into a new flat very soon but am worried about my cat doing the same thing as he has done to the wall in my current house. There are claw marks all the way up the walls going upstairs. He is a house cat and never goes out as he grew up in an eighth floor flat and wouldn't go out when I moved into my house. I have probably already lost my bond from my current address and don't want the same thing to happen in my new flat. I have read about declawing and trimming the cats claws to stop it scratching the walls/carpets but don't like the sound of that idea as it isn't fare on the cat. I have thought of fastening bubble wrap to the walls so that he is frightened away from the walls or putting something on the floor in front of the wall so that he can't reach it to scratch. Has anybody got any idea's on what other material I could stick to the wall that might scare the cat away or any other idea's at all really. Thanks very much for your comments :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 11:48 AM

Please do not declaw your cat. This scratching is instinctive behavior. Years ago before people worried about keeping cats indoors, we had outside cats who reached up onto tree trunks to scratch.

Instead of declawing, purchase a tall cat scratching post or two with a sisal covering. You could also purchase an inexpensive section of carpet, roll it up inside out so the rough (not foam) backing shows and will be a scratching surface for the cat. In fact, if you make the rolled-up section open enough, he can play inside it as his tunnel.

One of our cats ripped up one section of wallpaper in our house, but then, when we bought a scratching post, we patiently redirected him to that, and that is what he uses now.

Declawing, which cuts off the nails along with the first joints of his toes, will punish him for being a cat.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 29, 2008, 11:48 AM

Do you have a scatching post for the cat? The cat normally does this to sharpen his/her claws, I would suggest you purchase a scratching post.
    brister501 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Thanks for you anwers I wasn't going to get the puss declawed as I said before I know this is cruel so that isn't an option. I already have a cat tree which he uses regularly but I'm more thinking about what I could cover the lower part of the wall with so he doesn't attempt to scratch it because the tree isn't good enough for him he scratches the tree but also the walls he's a little bugger and I want to be prepared before I move into a new flat and he destroys the wallpaper. Thanks again :)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 29, 2008, 12:38 PM

I would suggest somehow hanging orange peelings around the site that he scratches the smell itself should discourage the behaviour, I've also heard that spray bottles work nicely. I'm pretty sure there are products you can purcahase at pet stores also. Good Luck!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 09:33 PM

I've never known a cat that consistently scratched walls. Is it possible that there are mice or rats in the walls?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7 View Post
    I've never known a cat that consistently scratched walls. Is it possible that there are mice or rats in the walls?
    We have one. Rasputin scratched one place under a dining room window. The wallpaper is a textured beigey grasscloth. That was the only space he could get to; the rest of the lower walls are blocked by furniture/bookcases/computer cabinet. I think he liked the feel of the wallpaper. Thank goodness we still had matching wallpaper left over to use to repaper and knew to block off that space.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 05:47 PM

This isn't going to sound particularly nice, but warren eckstein the pet trainer and radio host has suggested sticking balloons to walls for this reason. He has also recommended using the backs of "carpet savers" on several occasions. He also has small pet air horns (use very sparingly) on his site; make sure to read everything before attempting to use it.

I second the recommendation for scratching posts. You can also get carpet scraps (use the back) for free in some places. My cats loved firewood logs.
    Karle Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Sep 30, 2008, 11:26 PM
    We had the same problem with the cats scratching the sofa and wall paper, we "trained" them to stop. We did this by buying a water sprayer, like the one you would use for your plants. Each time we saw one sctatching the wall paper or sofa we sprayed them, they soon learned. And of course is cheap and friendly to your house!:)
    diddle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brister501 View Post
    Thanks for you anwers I wasn't going to get the puss declawed as I said before I know this is cruel so that isn't an option. I already have a cat tree which he uses regularly but I'm more thinking about what I could cover the lower part of the wall with so he doesn't attempt to scratch it because the tree isn't good enough for him he scratches the tree but also the walls he's a little bugger and I want to be prepared before I move into a new flat and he destroys the wallpaper. Thanks again :)
    I have heard about some gadget that you plug in to your plug socket that stops them scratching .My cat is the same spent fortune getting hall,landing,bedrooms, all wrecked I don't want to spend any more money till I find something .Ive tried everything scratching poles spray ,nothing works .If I find out if it works I will get in touch,or what its called.

:mad::mad::eek::eek:
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 4, 2010, 03:45 PM

The bubble wrap and/or temporary double-sided tape might be your cheapest best. The sound of the bubble wrap scares most cats, and they don't like their paws sticking to the tape.

If you do use the double-sided tape, make sure to get one that's marked TEMPORARY. If you don't, then you'll never be able to get it off your walls.

I don't suggest balloons. Some cats will eat the pieces from popped balloons, which can cause digestion problems and even death. They can also get injured from the flying pieces and air being released. You'd be surprised how fast the balloon pieces and air actually move.

A scratching post and water bottle are good ideas, but not very helpful unless you're there to watch.
    KYJA69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
    My cat... I had him for 7 years and he always scratchedmy walls not the furniture . I just moved to a brand new apt where he has started scratching my walls.. I can't have it. I found a site called nature scratch. They have all wood scraching posts. I have not received the post yet but that was the only place I could find an all wood post. Wish me luck, because I would hate to get rid of my cat. Now my worry is that he will still scratch my walls even with the post any suggestions on how to totally repell him from my walls.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Buy those plastic mats used to prevent wear on carpets. The ones that have the nubs underneath to grip the carpet. Cut them into sections wide enough to wrap around the doorway. Nail them, nubby side out, so he can't scratch.

The nubs irritate their paws, and he won't won't to scratch, anymore. You can do the same thing if he's scratching the walls, and not just doorways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you make a cat stop scratching the furniture? [ 4 Answers ]

I have five cats and a huge scratching post. Only the two youngest ever use the scratching post. The second and third cats like to use the wood trim around my front door as a scratching post. I am looking for some sort of product that will put an end to this behavior. Any suggestions will be...

Scratching someone's car [ 6 Answers ]

Recently, friend of mine bought an almost new Land Rover SUV. It looked great, we were all very happy with him, only to find a HUGE nasty scratch along the entire car the next morning. Nothing you can do, frustration overwhelms you, etc. etc. Why would someone do it, what is the motivation? Who is...

Will Omega 3/6 pills stop my Golden's scratching himself raw? [ 5 Answers ]

My Golden is 5 years old and has a history of scratching himself down to the bloody skin. The vets always say food allergies. He has been eating Hills ZD Ultra hypoallergy food now for 4 months and he still is scratching. A friend had luck with something called Derma Cap? Does anyone have...

Cat scratching [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 year old cat was given revolution 2 days ago. She really didn't have fleas, however I wanted to prevent them, and she had it for heartworm and worms. Today she has been running around silly like something is biting her legs. She tries to hide from it but obviously it follow. Could this crazy...

Why would cat be scratching or biting? [ 1 Answers ]

As I posted a few weeks ago, I took in a stray cat. She has 6 little kittens who are all doing very well. They are all living inside now and seem very cosy. We still have a few weeks before we can take them to the shelter. The mother cat has always been affectionate and gentle. But this past...

View more questions Search