Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ILoveVille4ever Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 07:27 PM
    I'm 17 he's 25 I'm pregnant. Do my parents have rights if I'm married?
    I live in Indiana.

I am 17 && he's 25. I think I might be pregnant and if I am, him && I know my mom would completely freak out because she doesn't even want us together. He thinks that him & I getting married (( because it is legal in some states if I'm pregnant to get married w/ out parent consent.)) would help force my mom into dealing w/ it. But my question is if I get married does she still have the right to put him away and/or take me away from him?

-----------------------------------
    I JUST turned 17.
    But I thoought that because the consent age in Indiana was 17 that it would be alrite?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
    In Indiana you have to have a parents signature to get married if under 18. How far are you from being 18?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Sorry but caramelbunny is very wrong in many states.
    First you may not always just travel out of state, in fact in some states if he tries to take you out of state to get married, that could even be kidnaping and the parents could easily get the marriage annulled.

Also in some states like Georgia where the age of consent is 18, they can have him arrested for rape.

So yes this can be very very serious.
    caramelbunny Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Sorry! You are treated as an adult in the medical field. My mistake!
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Oh no, really not okay to try to get married and force the issue on your parents. You still have to have your parents signature for basically anything you do for another year especially marrieage. So I would recommend hearing your mom out because she may actually have something behind her dislike of him (not saying for sure because my mom still doesn't really like my husband after five years of me being married but I was quite a bit older than you so didn't have to ask my mom) so until you are 18 you are going to have to abide by her rules.

Sep 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVille4ever
    i live in Indiana.

i am 17 && he's 25. i think i might be pregnant and if i am, him && i know my mom would completely freak out because she doesnt even want us together. He thinks that him & i geting married (( because it is legal in some states if im pregnant to get married w/ out parent consent.)) would help force my mom into dealing w/ it. But my question is if i get married does she still have the right to put him away and/or take me away from him?

-----------------------------------
    i JUST turned 17.
    but i thoought that because the consent age in Indiana was 17 that it would be alrite?
    I understand what you are saying but there are states that allow you to get married w/ out consent if your pregnant and 17
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Right but you aren't a resident of those states and if he takes you across statelines as a minor you parents can press charges against him and the marriage will be annulled so all the effort will be useless and he will be sitting in jail. You will also be sent back to your parents house how easy do you think it will be to live in their house after that? You are going to have to live by your parents rules for one more year then you will be free to leave and move where ever you want and get married or not get married but until you are 18 you have to have their permission.
    tampa_boricua74 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Well hope you turn 18 soon because if your parents finds out they can get him 4 under aged sex and that would be bad for you both especial if you are pregnant because your parents still have a say so over you and might ask u 2 abort. Good luck

Sep 18, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Right..
    But they can't force me to get an abortion unless she can prove that I'm unfit & I'm not.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tampa_boricua74
    well hope u turn 18 soon because if ur parents finds out they can get him 4 under aged sex and that would be bad 4 u both especial if u are pregnant because ur parents still have a say so over u and might ask u 2 abort. Good luck

Again, please don't use "chat speak" or "text speak." It's difficult to understand, particularly on a legal board.

Yes, the parents can ask OP to have an abortion; however, there is no State where they can "force" an abortion.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVille4ever
    right..
    but they can't force me to get an abortion unless she can prove that im unfit & im not.

Parents cannot force an abortion nor can they claim you would be an unfit mother before the child is born.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
    No they can't force you to have an abortion even if they think you will be unfit. It doesn't work that way.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbunny
    sorry! you are treated as an adult in the medical field. my mistake!
    I don't think that this is correct. Any time a minor is involved in a medical procedure other then life threatening or abortion; the doctors have to seek permission to treat the underage patient. So no at 17 they aren't treated like an adult. Also in Indiana emancipation of a child doesn't occur until age 21. So there is some conflict there also.
    theshores Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Don't get married just because you are pregnant please! That is not a good idea. You are still young and need time to decide if this is the person that you want to spend your life with. If he's any man at all, once you guys find out for sure if you are, you both should sit down with your parents and let them know what is going on and the decisions that you guys are making. You should conduct yourself as an adult and be responsible. I would hope that your parents would respect him more if he owned up to his responsibilities and faced them with it.

I mean think about the Big Picture for a moment. Does he work full time and have health insurance? If not, if you guys get married you won't be covered by anyone. If your parents won't help... is he able to provide for you financially? Is he responsible and ready to take on the role of a husband? Think really hard about this if law does permit it.

All the best
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 06:13 PM
    First, you need to find out for sure if your pregnant instead of thinking you might. Get a pregnancy test or go to a clinic. Why the rush to get marry at such a young age?
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    I dont think that this is correct. Any time a minor is involved in a medical procedure other then life threatening or abortion; the doctors have to seek permission to treat the underage patient. So no at 17 they arent treated like an adult. Also in indiana emancipation of a child doesnt occur until age 21. So there is some conflict there also.
    For marriage you only have to be 18 because even though lots of web sites say emancipation is at 21 it is actually for all other purposed but child support at 18. At 18 you are an adult if you get in trouble you are the one going to jail and what not you can get married move out do whatever you want. The only thing that applies to the age being 21 is support continuing if the child is a full time student until that age. You aren't the only one that has made that same type of comment so I know the wrong information is everywhere.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    For marriage you only have to be 18 because even though lots of web sites say emancipation is at 21 it is actually for all other purposed but child support at 18. At 18 you are an adult if you get in trouble you are the one going to jail and what not you can get married move out do whatever you want. The only thing that applies to the age being 21 is support continuing if the child is a full time student until that age. You aren't the only one that has made that same type of comment so I know the wrong information is everywhere.
    Here is where it gets confusing because In law can't seem to make up its mind.

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/May2007.pdf

http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/52690.pdf

Fiscal Impact Statement, Senate Bill 0469

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/...SB0459.001.pdf

Requirements for In.
    State

They seem to agree to disagree.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 11:58 AM

I can't give calif any more greenies so I'll just say those are some good sites and I know IN can be confusing... I'm pretty sure the only reason I know as much about it is because not only was I born and raised here but also had to study it in order to get my degree lol. But yea as far as this case is concerned she just has to wait until turning 18 then can get married and move out. In no way am I going to say that I am part of those web sites because I'm pretty sure IN government people are sitting around laughing at all the confused faces people get trying to figure them out.

Sep 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theshores View Post
    Don't get married just because you are pregnant please! that is not a good idea. You are still young and need time to decide if this is the person that you want to spend your life with. If he's any man at all, once you guys find out for sure if you are, you both should sit down with your parents and let them know what is going on and the decisions that you guys are making. You should conduct yourself as an adult and be responsible. I would hope that your parents would respect him more if he owned up to his responsibilities and faced them with it.

I mean think about the Big Picture for a moment. Does he work full time and have health insurance? If not, if you guys get married you won't be covered by anyone. If your parents won't help...is he able to provide for you financially? Is he responsible and ready to take on the role of a husband? Think really hard about this if law does permit it.

All the best

Yes, he has his own business works full time && has already told me that even if we are not married while/after I'm pregnant he wants to put me on his health insurance to pay for the medical bills.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 09:16 AM

Are you pregnant right now or not? Because if you are then his insurance won't cover you because pretty much all insurance policies that cover maternaty make you be on the plan for at least a year before becoming pregnant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my parents find out if I am married? [ 8 Answers ]

I married my boyfriend out of state (but still in the US) for immigration purposes. We intended to marry in the future, but looked at this is basically signing paperwork to help keep him in the country. We do not want to share this with anyone because we both want the big traditional wedding which...

How do I tell my parents I'm getting married? [ 14 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé are getting married in Feb. I'm 18 and he's 20 we are deeply in love and I have a beautiful ring. Anyway he's a Marine and I'm going to beauty school in the spring my parents know we are getting married they just don't know how soon. We had told his parents and some close friends....

When to tell my parents I'm getting married [ 13 Answers ]

Well, I am 17 and I will be getting married on July 19 2008. I have been engaged since November but haven't told my parents. I am afraid to because they may tell me I can't see him. Since he is graduated, and my father won't let me get a license it would be very hard to sneak and see each other......

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Pregnant married woman fathers rights when not husband [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and my husband and I have been off and on for the last couple of years. During that time I became pregnant by a married man, he wants custody of the child once born what are his legal rights. My husband and I have agreed to raise the child together but the real father wants...

View more questions Search