Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 20, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Why do jewish people cover their head
    Why do most jewish people I see cover their heads? Also can you tell me what the different coverings are and what they mean.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Hi, eriknugent!

What is quoted below is from the following site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzniut

Hair Covering

Halacha (Jewish law) requires married women to cover their hair;[1] Maimonides calls this requirement Dat Moshe (the law of Moses).[2] The most common hair coverings in the Haredi community are the snood, the tichel (scarf), and the sheitel (wig); some Haredi women cover their hair with hats or berets. Observance of this law is not universal among Modern Orthodox women, but even in this sector virtually all cover their hair in synagogue. The most common hair covering for Modern Orthodox women is a hat or beret; younger women often wear baseball caps and bandannas when dressed casually, and some wear bright and colorful scarves tied in a number of ways. A style of half wig known as a "fall" has become increasingly common in many segments of Modern and Haredi Orthodox communities. It is usually worn either with a hat or headband.

Men, married or not, usually cover their heads. The most common head covering is the kippah, also known as the Yarmulka. Most men wear something on their heads at almost all times, while some cover their heads only when performing some religious act, or when eating. Few cover the entire head. The exact nature of this practise, and how binding it is, is a matter of dispute among halachic authorities.[3]

Conservative and Reform Judaism do not generally require women to wear headcoverings. However, some liberal Conservative synagogues suggest that women, married or not, wear head-coverings similar to those worn by men, and some require it, not for modesty, but as a feminist gesture of egalitarianism.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 21, 2008, 07:31 AM

What are the big fuzzy ones I see looks like some kind of a russian hat or something.
    And why does the law of moses require this.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 21, 2008, 03:16 PM

Not all Jews cover their heads. But mostly Orthodox adherents do. It's out of respect for G-d that He is over us. Women wear scarves. The law of Moshe doesn't require a big fuzzy hat. That big fuzzy hat is called a shtreimel and is worn by Hasids on Shabbos and Holidays. It's made of pelts and can be very expensive depending on the quality. Some Orthodox Jews still wear clothing resembling that of our Jewish ancestors hundreds of years ago from Eastern Europe. When I go to services I usually attend at the Reform where you can use a yarmulke (not required), if you prefer. It's a smaller head covering that's very simple, although of updated design. BTW kippot in general have been around since the 12th century. However if I were to adhere to a stricter guideline of interpretation of halacha and traditions, I would probably visit with the Modern Orthodox community, as they at least appear to prefer to live in this century.
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Sep 24, 2008, 06:07 PM

The oral law derives that one is not to pray except with a "seriousness of head" which is understood to mean, with an awareness of the divine above, and this awareness is signified by a head covering which serves as a physical reminder of the spiritual covering.
    susancalen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Traditionally, Jewish men and boys wear the kippah at all times, a symbol of their awareness of, and submission to, a "higher" entity. There is no requirement either biblically nor explicitly stated in the Talmud that this practice be followed although the practice is noted in the Talmud. Yet, through the ages it became an accepted Jewish custom, which, according to the majority of halachic authorities, makes it mandatory.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Some of the head coverings already mentioned include:

Tichel

Sheitel

Snood

eriknugent,

The hat you are referring to is called a Shtreimel, and it is indeed modeled after the headwear worn by Russian and Polish nobles in the 1600-1700s. These are generally worn by Chasidic men.

Shtreimel

In general Orthodox Jewish men wear Yarmulkas, also called kippot (kippa - singular). Kippot come in many sizes and colors.

Kippa/Yarmulka

Some men also wear fedora-style hats... Borcelino-brand hats tend to be the most common. They tend to be either black or navy-blue.

Borcelino hat

It should be noted that in addition to having a Halachic (Jewish Law) component, Jewish head coverings also tend to signify socio-political affiliation within Orthodox Judaism. Shtreimels are very symbolic of Chassidic Judaism. A white-knit Yarmulka or Kippa might indicate that the wearer is a follower of the teachings of Rabbi Cook, and thus is likely ardently Zionistic. A black hat might indicate someone from the Yeshiva community, most likely a follower of the Brisker Yeshiva. A blue hat might indicate a member of the Yeshiva movement who follows the teachings of Yeshiva Chaim Berlin. A colored yarmulka tends to indicate someone who is modern-orthodox. A satin Yarmulka might indicate a sephardic Jew.

These are, of course, generalizations, and should not be taken as definitive in any way.

Elliot
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2009, 08:25 AM

It should be noted that the proper spelling of the maker of that last hat pictured is "Borsalino," after Giuseppe Borsalino.

Great info Elliot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil in Cylinder head cover / around Spark Plugs. [ 10 Answers ]

Boy oh boy... I went to Firestones to check what was happening since I had their 20 dollars coupon... they startetd inspecting it and came out with a horroble looking problem... (they showed it to me of course... )... so the problem is that one of the caps on the Spark Plug was out of the head...

I like these to guys their cuzions [ 3 Answers ]

I like these to guy c and d ( I won't say thiere full names). I first liked d and told my friend s. Wich I shoundnt of because when I talk about a guy she falls for him to.So I go onlike d then my other friends start like him also I decide the okay ill stop because I'm a good friened . Then I start...

My kids need their mom. [ 5 Answers ]

A little over a year ago, I was involved in an abusive relationship. My ex husband took me to court and got primary custody of our kids because of that man. I have since put him in jail, gotten a restraining order on him, and moved to Pennsylvania. I am engaged to a wonder ful man that my kids...

Is their a lot? [ 5 Answers ]

Is their a lot male people who go into this area?

Plants to cover concrete drain cover [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When I bought my house, no one had even raked the yard for years and I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me. Fortunately, I had been perennial gardening for some time. This was a new challenge, however, because the lot is heavily wooded, and the trees are old growth that were not cut when...

View more questions Search