Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susan79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Why is my Whirlpool refrigerator door rusting in spots?
    We have a 4 or 5 year old Whirlpool refrigerator that has been rusting in spots on the door since it was only about a year old. At first I just ignored them but now they are everywhere. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. They only appear on the doors and not on the sides. I'd repaint the doors but I know they will only come back unless I treat the problem. Does anyone know what is causing them?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Susan79 - First of all ,take a wash rag with soap and hot water and wash the door and the area were the door closes against and most people don't realize just how much stuff collects on this area. And will make the door seal leak and when hot air from outside the fridge. Meets the cold air from inside its like a good cold glass of tea .mousture formson the outside of glass , also check the settings on the inside of fridge, check to make sure door seal is not loose or tore. Good luck and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Your frig walls are insulated a bit more than the door. Like FBE says , its condensation. Improved air flow would help but nromal humidity can be high in some regions. A good appliance paint can be appled like Rust-oleums appliance paint but you must remove the rust with sandpaper, then prime.
    JohnToh Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Whirlpool doors are not rust proofed on the inside and that is why the doors will rust. I have 2 Whirlpool fridges whose doors rusted badly, each after only about 5 years.
    smp87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
    This is a common problem that Whirlpool should correct.

See these two posts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwHUB-R0-4

http://whirlpoolrots.blogspot.com/
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2012, 05:47 AM
    It makes me wonder if the doors are rusting from the inside due to air leaks around the seal where the inside plastic panel mates to the outside steel part of door. GE had this problem which is solved by taking the door apart and drying in sun then sealing with silicone caulk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ge side by side rusting on outside of freezer door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old GE side by side that is rusting out behind the door handle on the freezer side, it is causing rust to stream down the front of my fridge. What causes this?

Whirlpool refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

My refrigerator is making a knocking noise, what is causing it?

Identification of Whirlpool Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator which was bought in 1991. It has worked fine until last week. Since then the refrigerator compartment compressor runs continuously and freezes the food. I assume that the thermostat unit has failed and requires replacement. The information on the identification...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

Whirlpool Refrigerator Lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator, model #GD5RXAXNQ00. Upon opening the refrigerator door the other day, there was a popping sound (like a light bulb burning out) followed by all the lights going out as well as the LEDs on the temperature control panel. There are three light bulbs, and...

View more questions Search