Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ivory0921 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
    How long after a break up do I wait before dating again?
    About a month ago my boyfriend for 1 year and something months broke up with me due to the reason that he was "no longer happy". He actually has a 2 year old kid with some other girl and he is a year younger than me. We had lived in for about a year and I grew to be very dependent and attached to him. But of course, just like any break up - no matter how I begged and tried to patch things up - there was clearly too much damage and it had become a horribly dysfunctional relationship already. I was of course devastated. I couldn't eat, work, laugh or smile for a couple weeks. To help me forget about my misery, one of my best friends set me up with this guy friend of his who I had been eyeing for quite some time. Yes, I have to admit I found him attractive (in a rugged kind of way I guess). Anyway, we've been going out for about a month now. My mom tells me to take a breather and rest for a while (from relationships). I feel pretty steady with the "new guy", he seems to have good intentions and he was "referred" to me by a pretty good source. I'm some what confident that things may actually have a good chance of working with him. I have to admit I can hear my mom's voice in my head telling me to take it easy. So I guess my question is, how long should I wait until I engage myself into another serious relationship? How do I know if I am only trying to fill a void or a loss or worse just rebound on this new guy? Help! :confused:
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 11:20 AM
    How long after a break up do I wait before dating again?
    At least a few hours.

After that, no rules. Date or not when your interest in someone is piquéd.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Being a mother myself, I can understand how some Moms try to 'help' you.. but she has to realize that she can advise, but the you will make your choices and act according to how you feel. Your mom will respect that and understand.. we all do. If she loves you as much as I love mine, then she will understand and let you make your life as you see fit. And, it's OK for her to express her thoughts, but in the longrun, it's your life.

Nobody but you can tell you if you are doing right. You don't need to establish a particular 'mourning' period over a break-up. Just make sure that you are not seeing this new guy on the 'rebound' - that's all. Respect each other and get to know each other and enjoy life. (and from what you said, you did have your eyes on him for a while), so in my opinion, it is not wrong at all.

Keep us posted and just follow your gut feelings.

Good luck,

brokenhearted1515 Posts: 68, Reputation: 10

Sep 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    At least a few hours.

After that, no rules. Date or not when your interest in someone is piqued.

I totally agree, a few hours and your good to go. I would just take things slow with this new guy. Try not to rush into anything. And don't get attached to him, or anyone ever again for that matter. When you feel comfortable enough to take it to the next step it will come naturally. Just take this time to get to know one another, and enjoy.
    Ivory0921 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Thanks for everyone's posts. Helped me to feel a little less guilty about moving on. I value my mom's advice, and she does treat me like I'm still 5 years old sometimes but I guess that's natural. Now that I think about it, I don't owe it to anyone to "abstain" from relationships - especially to my ex who I wasted a year of my life with. Ü

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend wanted a break. How long should I wait before I contact her? [ 25 Answers ]

I just found this site and I appreciate any advice I can get. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years. We met through my cousin, her best friend, when she was 19 and I was 23 and I fell so hard I told her to move in with me and so we've been living together for pretty much the whole time....

For how long do they have to wait? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is 19 years old, and he lives in iran. His grandmother is a citizen and she lives in USA. She applied for her son and her grandchildren in 2003. I heard that it will only take 5 years for someone whome his/her mother applied for, to come to the US. It is year 2008 but nothing happened....

How long should I wait? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for about 2 1/2 months now. At first, we use to call each other and visit each other very often. Now, we barely talk nor visit. Maybe once or twice a week. Not to mention, I am the one who is doing the calling. Am I being stupid and not paying any attention that he...

Is it too long to wait? [ 2 Answers ]

I met Nicholas on the internet, and we dated for two years. We only met, but I swear to god, those days we spent together were perfect beyond words. We are so compatible with each other, and we both love each other deeply. We were best friends, and we talked all the time. We were very happy, but...

How long should it wait [ 1 Answers ]

I adopt my nephew. How long should I wait to the petition of my nephew to come here to usa? Thanks

View more questions Search