Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkingsella Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Leak under bathroom sink
    I have a link under the bathroom sink that I'm having a hard time figuring out. The link is a pretty steady drip when the faucets are running. The leak originates behind the nut that screws onto the coupling from the pipe coming out of the wall. From the p trap a pvc pipe slides into a larger metal pipe that comes out of the wall. When I removed the metal nut I discovered that there was no washer, so I put in a plastic washer and it still leaked. I then put in a rubber washer and it also leaked. Kind of at my wits end. Seems like the washer should fix the problem. I checked and the pvc pipe is not cracked. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Not all plastic washers are the same. Your washer should have a slight V shape to it so it gets squeezed between the PVC and the metall pipe. From what you have said that drip should have beeen there since the last time someone worked on that drain.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Are you sure that the leak is occurring at the compression nut of the adapter and not the threads where the adapter screws on to the galvanized pipe. If in doubt, remove adapter, coat threads with thread joint compound and reinstall.

Sep 15, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I think this a good idea but that would mean the washer also leaked for the water to reach the threads but try it.

Sep 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
    I'm absolutely sure the leak is coming from the nut and not the pipe. Any other ideas? I spoke with my local hardware store guy and he too is perplexed.:confused:

Sep 15, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Do not take plumbing problems to ALL hardware store employees. Try what Harold suggested, it may fix the leak no mater which problem started it. This is only a drain so if you must, dry it well, coat it with Plumber Goop and allow to dry. Not what I would do if you were paying me but I'm not there and this does no harm.

Sep 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I'm not sure I was clear. The leak is occurring at the compression nut... that is occurring before it reaches the threads of the adapter. Not sure why the washer isn't woking. Are you suggesting I apply the plumbing goop around the nut where the leak is occurring? Is it easy to get the hardened goop off if I need to remove the nut at some point?

Sep 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Well, why not just replace the adapter?

Sep 15, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Because the leak is ocurring before it gets to that point. Or do you mean the compression nut?

Sep 15, 2008, 12:11 PM
    The compression nut, the nylon seal and the adapter are basically one unit. Cost is only a couple dollars. Something is not working properly so why not unscrew the adapter and replace it. That is assuming you have a threaded male or female PVC adapter and not just a compression nut on threaded piece of pipe.

Sep 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
    What I have is the pipe that comes out of the wall. Then there is a piece attached to it that the pvc slides into and the compression nut screws on to. Hope that makes sense. So you are suggesting that I just get a new compression nut and see if replacing it fixes the problem? Something else you should know is that the pvc pipe has some give, meaning I can slide it a bit back and forth into the pipe even with the compression nut screwed on tight. Should it be able to do that?

Sep 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
    You may have the wrong washer if the nut is tight and you can still slide the PVC.

Sep 15, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I'm back to replace the adapter. When the compression nut is tightened hand tight you should not be able to move the trap arm. Again only a couple a dollars and an quick and easy task.

What size is the trap and arm, 1 1/4" or 1/12"?

Is the adapter metal or PVC?

Sep 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
    I'm guessing the trap arm is 1 1/4" just because the compression nut is... seems to be a hair less in diameter though, because I'm able to slide it back and forth. The compression nut is metal not pvc.

Sep 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
    What type of washer did you try, a clear beveled nylon or a flat black or gray rubber.

Sep 16, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Tried both... neither stopped the leak.

Sep 16, 2008, 08:22 AM
    The pipe coming out of the wall, is it a straight pipe with no threads or ring/rib or does it have a lip on the end pointing out from the wall?

Sep 16, 2008, 08:30 AM
    The pipe that comes out of the wall is straight with threads. Comes out of the wall maybe four or five inches. There is another piece screwed on to the end of it. This piece is a short piece that looks to be copper. It also has threading at the end where the pvc pipe slides into to and that is where the compression nut attaches and is the source of the leak. I'm not a plumber (obviously :)) so I hope I'm explaining this well.

Sep 16, 2008, 08:43 AM
    OK so the pipe from the wall has threads, the very next piece should slide inside the wall pipe and that next piece has a beveled washer and then a compression nut, right? That compression must have abeveled washer. Is this the point of the leak?

Sep 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Again the pipe that comes out of the wall then has another piece (copper) screwed on to it... the pvc slides into it. The compression nut screws onto the copper piece. The nut is the point of the leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in new bathroom sink drain [ 12 Answers ]

I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is...

Leak from bathroom sink bowl [ 4 Answers ]

I had an inspector come in my condo and he said the bathroom sink bowl was leaking after running water for 5 minutes. I had a master plumber look at the sink and could not find any leaks even after filling the bowl many times and even letting it overflow into the overflow area. This is the only...

Leak in pipe in bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak in my bathroom sink pipe. The leak is in the top of the pipe coming out of the wall(hole in top). I have tried to take the pipe out by twisting it to no avail:( . Should I try to saw the pipe, or call in a plumber? What is the best way to fix this leak? I tried to use tape and...

Leak under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one handle bathroom sink. Underneath the sink, under the escutcheon, there is a small leak of water coming out of the middle hole. It is the same hole that the stopper plug rod goes up into. It's the hole between the hot and cold water line connections. Where is this leak coming from and...

Bathroom Sink Valve Leak [ 2 Answers ]

The shut off valves under my bathroom sink have started leaking and I am not sure what to do. The sink has had a tendency to clog lately, and I am not sure if this is related or not. Are there any suggestions on how to repair the dripping valves? Please advise.

View more questions Search