Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MJJJJJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 03:04 AM
    What do I do next? Collection co. did not validate debt within 30 days?
    I recently asked for validation of debt with a collection agency and asked for a response within 30 days. They did not respond within the 30 days and later sent a copy of a bill. This is not sufficient proof of validation of debt and i need to know what to write to them now? Do i need to give them another chance? Or just write back to them saying they are in violation of the act?

Please help quickly. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2008, 05:48 AM
    First, Please don't type in all caps.

Did you request this as a result of a summons due to a suit or was this a first contact from the collection agency?
    MJJJJJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 08:25 AM
    This was after first contact from a collection agency.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2008, 09:01 AM
    If this was after 1st contact and there is no pending suit, then I would let it drop until they contact you again. At that point remind them that you requested verification of the debt and what they sent was unsatisfactory. Tell them you can't do anything until the debt is verified.
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 12, 2008, 09:04 AM
    That seems to be a typical ploy. Sending a bill instead of validation of debt.

Chances are they don't have a way to validate it. Is this one of the companies that buys "bad debts" and then tries to collect on them for the rest of your life? (so it seems to me ;) )

You can have a lawyer do that for you and sometimes it costs as little as $50 to type up and mail the letter, certified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I validate a debt after being served with a lawsuit from a credit card company? [ 11 Answers ]

I am being sued by Capital One bank because I defaulted on a credit card. I have received intermittant letters from different collection agencies regarding this account. I didn't know anything about validation of debt. Anyway, my husband got a call from a collection agency saying they were...

Cancled Debt and Collection Debt showing up on Report [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions I have a 1099-C from 2007, regarding a credit card debt that was canceled. Just today, I was notified I had a collection account appear on my report. (I have credit guard watch). I understand I have to claim the 1099-C on my Taxes as "income" on my report. (1) Since I have...

Debt collection [ 20 Answers ]

Is there any way to eliminate credit card judgments? Do debt collector have the right to collect from you when the original creditor charged it off?

Debt Collection [ 1 Answers ]

I am being asked to pay a debt that is 15 years old. In 1992 I supposedly asked for assistance from social assistance to get money while awaiting for unemployment insurance. I have received a letter form social assistance asking for over 3000.00 dollars. I spoke to the woman who sent me the letter...

View more questions Search