Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shroomyman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 11:24 AM
    My 4 week old puppy's poop
    Hello, we just recently got a 4 week old baby girl pit bull from a breedier, when we first got her, poop was semi solid, and she always would let us know when she has to go potty. But her poop is very wet and green its been like that for a few days now, she still lets us know but she can't hold it for as long so lots of accidents are starting to happen. We are feeding her wet puppy food and milk that the breedier gave us. Would this be the cause? Or might there be another reason. My girlfriends starting to think she might be sick and she's very worried.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroomyman
    Hello, we just recently got a 4 week old baby girl pit bull from a breedier, when we first got her, poop was semi solid, and she always would let us know when she has to go potty. But her poop is very wet and green its been like that for a few days now, she still lets us know but she can't hold it for as long so lots of accidents are starting to happen. We are feeding her wet puppy food and milk that the breedier gave us. Would this be the cause? or might there be another reason. My girlfriends starting to think she might be sick and shes very worried.

Four weeks is awfully young to be taken from her mother - I'm amazed that a professional breeder would allow it. I've had to fight to get 8 week old puppies!

I would take the dog to the Vet - could be anything from worms to parvo and back again.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 8, 2008, 11:58 AM
    I second that comment and think that there is something that they need from the mother when they are so young in their diet, but I can't recall what it is. Please take her to the vet.

Sep 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Four weeks is awfully young to be taken from her mother - I'm amazed that a professional breeder would allow it. I've had to fight to get 8 week old puppies!

I would take the dog to the Vet - could be anything from worms to parvo and back again.
    I agree, the breedier told me that she was ahead of the other pups in size and they already had to take her from her mother because of her teeth. I tried to take the pup to the vet for shots and what not and the vet told me to leave and they couldn't do anything till she was 8 weeks old.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:20 PM
    The story regarding the "breeder" sounds extremely sketchy to me. Even when the mother is removed from feeding the pups for teeth reasons, at the very least the puppies *must* stay together until they are 2 months old in order to learn everything a tiny pup needs to know that you can't teach him as a human being. There is no such thing as a responsible breeder who gives away a puppy at that age. Period.

The vet's office is dangerous for small puppies because they are very sensitive to dangerous, contagious diseases at that age, but I have never heard of a vet saying that it couldn't look at a pup. Did they inspect her stool sample?

Sep 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    the story regarding the "breeder" sounds extremely sketchy to me. even when the mother is removed from feeding the pups for teeth reasons, at the very least the puppies *must* stay together until they are 2 months old in order to learn everything a tiny pup needs to know that you can't teach him as a human being. there is no such thing as a responsible breeder who gives away a puppy at that age. period.

the vet's office is dangerous for small puppies because they are very sensitive to dangerous, contagious diseases at that age, but i have never heard of a vet saying that it couldn't look at a pup. did they inspect her stool sample?
    Im sorry I worded my last statement strange. I called a vet on the phone and talked to him and he said that he wouldn't be able to give her shots. The Breedier made me sign something saything that I would get them shots asap I called the next day, and I'm still going to take her to a vet to get checked out. My dog won't even drink out of a bowl, I have to put the milk in my hands from a bottle and then she will drink. When we first got her I was really scared because she wasn't drinking but I can tell she didn't learn much at her last home. I hope she's going to be OK...
    linny115 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
    This breeder should be reported... never, ever should a 4 week old puppy be taken from mother and littermates. You mentioned giving the pup milk, what kind of milk? Hopefully, nothing but a prepared puppy formula... NOT REGULAR MILK! Could be why the puppy has wet stools!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 07:54 PM
    This is not a breeder. That is a puppymill. They should be reported, to the SPCA and to the Police (for consumer fraud).

Going from mother's milk to formula will cause changes in the stool. That shouldn't be as much of a concern as whether this puppymill is selling dogs to black marketeers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 07:22 AM

This is a September 2008 thread.
    shadowpunkchick Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2010, 07:43 PM
    I realize this is old but I wanted to comment on it in case someone else has a similar question.

I agree that breeder is STUPID! A puppy shouldn't even BEGIN to be weaned until 3 weeks AT THE EARLIEST! And they won't and shouldn't be completely weaned until 6-7 weeks! (Unless the mom has mastitis, which is a condition where some, or in bad cases all, of the mothers breasts become inflamed, hard, and infected which could be deadly to mother and pups!) if the poo looks green or bloody definitely take it to a vet, if it looks brownish then it should be fine. Most likely it's because the puppy was forced to be weaned so early and its digestive tract isn't quite ready for the food yet, so most of the food doesn't digest right and just looks like mush. Do NOT feed your puppy cows milk the best things other than milk straight from the mother would be to give it either puppy formula which you can get from any pet store, walmart, target and most grocery stores. If this is not an option the next best thing would be goats milk.

For now make a puppy mush for your dog!

For one puppy to four puppies-Put a cup of puppy food in a bowl and add HOT water to it, come back in 15-30 minutes and drain most of the water, you may wish to put this in a blender now(but it is not necessary) then add 1/4 a can of puppy milk (or one half cup of goat milk) to this mix and feed it to your puppy 3 to 4 times a day, including 1st thing in the morning and right before you go to bed at night. Once the puppy is done take it outside and make sure it goes pee and poo, this will help cut down on the accidents, at night time take away the food and water for the whole night, but make sure to give it back in the morning.

If anything becomes a question do take your dog to the vet. There are shots you can order online from revivalanimal.com You should not do this unless you know how to properly give a shot though. Shots can be given as early as 6 weeks, but some vets wait until 8 weeks, your puppy will need boosters so keep on track with the shots!

If you suspect your dog has parvo take it to the vet definitely! If you can't take it right away feed it chicken and rice senior dog (wet) food, or chicken and rice baby food, or if you can make it yourself, (blend it together). If your dog will, get it to drink unflavored pedialyte (put half a cup of pedialyte and half a cup of water into its bowl, KEEP IT HYDRATED! Try to keep it in the kitchen or a place with tile, since there is likely to be a lot of accidents. Good luck!
    donnabully Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Comment on shadowpunkchick's post
    So glad you posted this, I have a litter of 7 american bullys, they are 3 weeks old and trying 2 pinch mums dinner. I took her to vet today, she seemed really dwn I suspected mastitis, I was ryt he told me 2 separate mum and pups DO NOT LET THEM FEED AN

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Re ? About my puppy's bloody stool [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=momlene]Hello... I have a puppy which is a shi-poo... the puppy was found running down a street with it's female litter mate... I believe I have found out the people that have sold the puppies and the article said the puppies have had their 1st 5 way shots and wormed... the puppies are around...

Blood In My Puppy's Stool [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm not sure what to say but today I noticed blood in my puppy's stool and she has had diarrea for at least 3 days but I never noticed it before. She eats but not what is recommended she still hasn't had her shots but only because I can't afford it and she is a little over 13 weeks old and I'm...

Is my puppy's tail supposed to be docked? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, my husband and I rescued a puppy from a shelter. They had no clue what breed he was or how old he was. The vet agreed with me and thought he was way too young to be away from his mother... but he was from a rescued litter so there really was no choice. So anyway I think he is about 6 months old...

Blood in Puppy's Stool? [ 1 Answers ]

What could cause blood in my puppies stool? Could this be serious or could it be worms, or something else?!

Puppy's first day home alone [ 3 Answers ]

We have just brought our havanese pup home from the breeder. He is 8 weeks old. I spent all day with him on Monday, as I could work from home, but this was only a temporary arrangement, and my wife and I are now working full time away from home. He is very comfortable in his crate, and he has a...

View more questions Search