Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m1ckvb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Attic vent and vent pipe leaks through roof
    Hello:
    I have water leaking down through the attic vents and white PVC vent pipes. What is the best way to repair these leaks? Can repairs be made from inside the attic? Should the vents be replaced (they are plastic)?
    Thank you!:(
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Lets be sure we are clear on this. The white PVC is your vent stack from your sewer. The other attic vents are air exchange vents, right? None should be replaced or sealed from inside. Both need to be sealled from the outside. Silicone caulk may do it for now but the vent stack should have had a jack boot installed under the shingles.

Sep 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Lets be sure we are cllear on this. The white OVC is your vent stack from your sewer. The other attic vents are air exchange vents, right? None should be replaced or sealed from inside. Both need to be sealled from the outside. Silicone caulk may do it for now but the vent stack should have had a jack boot installed under the shingles.

The white PVC pipe may be the vent for the sewer line and in either case it does go out the roof with a jack boot over it. The leak seems to come straight down the white pvc pipe on the inside. Now for the black vents, appro. 12" x 12", they are just open vents for the attic. These are leaking at the top edge (looking from the inside). If the vent pipe has the jacket over it, does it leaking require replacing the boot? I expect that it should be. If so, can this be done without removing shingles? Also, can the vents be replaced without removing the shingles, or it is necessary in both cases?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 01:13 PM
    If the PVC leaks on the inside you won't see the leak, it will drain all the way to your basement and then the sewer. Is inside referring to the inside area of the pipe? Only the vent stack gets a boot, the 12x12 air vents should have flashing ubder the shingles. You can caulk the top and sides of the 12x12 but not the bottom edge. With a bit of skill and a flat bar most folks can replace this vent without removing the shingles but a lot depends on how they were flashed.

Sep 8, 2008, 06:21 AM
    It is leaking inside the attic around the outside of the white pvc pipe so it must be coming through the lip around the top of the boot. Can that also be caulked? Also, how long will the caulking last since it is in direct sunlight?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 06:25 AM
    The boot is the way to go. You would have to arefully deal with the surrounding shingles when installing it, but that's doable too. On 2nd boot in 50 years. Is that long enough for a repair to last?
    brianadkins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Since the rubber boot surrounds typically only last 5-6 years, there is a new product on the market now that fits over your existing boot and pipe and seals it. It is apparently guaranteed for the life of your shingles, but I've never used it : http://www.permabootstore.com/
    jag222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
    I also have leaking fans it happens in the winter when it gets warmer. I live in Calgary and there are a lot of Chinooks. Could this be the insulation around the fans? I've had a whirly gig installed in the attic where the fans lead from but it's made no difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer Vent into the Attic? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have a tenant in an apartment that wants to cut hole in her ceiling and pipe the dryer vent into the attic. Is this a bad idea? The attic has vents on the roof that allow hot air to escape, but I am concerned that the hot air from the dryer might create moisture problems. Thank you...

Roof Leak near exhaust vent pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I apparently have a leak from the second floor roof. Roofer says it is the plastic boot which is about 8 years old and probably has a crack in it. The cost he quote to replace al 4 boots was about $900. That seems high to me. He said he would replace with an aluminum boot. Thanks.

Vent on attic floor. [ 2 Answers ]

I just became a new home owner. This home was build in 1956. In my walk up attic there's a vent on the floor. A frame with 1/2" mess covers the top of this vent (maybe to keep thing from falling in). Inside the frame is this tube about 8"dia. it has a flap on top, this tube sits in the floor of the...

Attic vent fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the motor in my attic vent fan. The only specs given on the old motor are 120V, 60 Hz, 2.6 amp. The only motor I found at Home Depot is a 120V, 60Hz, 1.9 amp with an external capacitor. Is this a suitable replacement? What are the critical specs when replacing an electric...

Do I need to hook my vent pipe back up that goes through the roof [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, we have been remodeling our bathroom, it had a big garden tub, and a stand up shower in the corner. We removed the garden tub and stand up shower. Okay. We put in a tub with tub surround and commode. We cut our water lines that went to our old tub and shower and they are no- longer hooked...

View more questions Search