Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flashman2 Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Using chainsaw against the timber grain
    I have a few stumps that I want to turn into seats, which means cutting down through the stump to about 15 inches above ground level. My 4 horsepower chainsaw won't even look at doing it !
    I've tried reducing the cutter angles to around 10 degrees as advised but still little progress. Is there any way this can be easily done, other than scrapping the whole project!?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Looks like this thread here: Chainsaw ripping blade... but not a rip cut? - Woodwork Forums will offer lots of suggestions.

Sep 7, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Thanks KISS. I've tried those chains without reasonable results, probably because it's Australian hardwood I'm dealing with. But I'll have another look at the sites you mentioned.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Try cutting longitudinally, I think you will be supprised
    Attached Images

Sep 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
    Thanks for the plan, HKSTROUD, but as I said, it's a STUMP, and I don't fancy digging it out of the ground to lay it flat to do the job. I've been doing exactly what you advise for years and it is beautiful ! But you are limited by the length of your saw blade. Thank again for your contribution.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Would this help? King Arthur Tools Lancelot & Squire Wood Carving Discs - Woodcraft.com
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Oh, dig it up and then replant, it'll live if you water it well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grain free diet [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking into Wellness Core... for my dog she eats there Wellness Super mix but she has a lot of waste that I don't think she should have poo about 6 times a day!! I was wondering if that is grain related... and is too much protein bad.. for a cocker spaniel or a poodle. Can anyone tell me...

Reading against the grain? [ 3 Answers ]

What is that? My English homework is to read an article, but we have to read it against the grain. HELP... :eek:

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Lyrics for: Unless a grain of wheat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everybody, I wonder if anyone can help me find the lyrics for "Unless a grain of wheat". It is a religious music. Your help is "greatly" appreciated.

View more questions Search